News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Replacement or Substitute Rear Air Shocks for 1967 Eldorado?

Started by Varooom, November 29, 2022, 09:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varooom

What air shocks might I substitute to replace the OEM shocks on my 67 Eldo? 

I still need to test the auto lift system compressor and OEM shocks but doubt they will function and am planning ahead. If they are broken I hope to replace them with after market airshocks with a manual fill line.  I see some Monroe MA700 and MA711 for Chevys that look like they might fit. But I cannot find any listings for the Eldo on Rock Auto, etc as you might imagine.  Shocks2Springs sells a pair for $279 but the Monroes I referred to are a bit less.

Has anyone figured out a good fit for the 67 Eldorado in a new air shock?
Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dan,

As the original Shocks are no longer available, that is with the single and twin fittings, just purchase the latest ones, and install a "T" in the line that leaves the Regulator valve, and plum the ends into each Shocker.

When I did mine, someone in the past before I owned the car did it for me, and shoved the fitting up out of the way into the chassis crossmember under the floor above the Regulator Valve.

I got my new Shocks from Rock Auto.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Varooom

Thanks for the reply but where do I purchase "the latest ones"? Like for a 1968 Eldorado? I do see those on Rock Auto but I thought they had different mounts, no?  No sellers list any rear vertical air shocks for these cars that I can see except for Shocks2Springs and I feel they are just sourcing a suitable shock from a different car and marking it up $50.

from Rock Auto:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1967,eldorado,7.0l+429cid+v8,1320196,suspension,shock+absorber,7556
Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria

James Landi

Dan,

If you're going in that work-a-round direction, you'll need to abandon the level control device on the rear axle, as that is designed to constantly modulate the amount of pressure, thus it will "leak" compressed air as you drive.
Additionally, depending on how you wish to use your car, simply pumping up the air shocks will not prevent the air lines from popping out if, on occasion, you hit a large pot hole or have the car full of luggage and people. As originally designed, these originally equipped cars had pressure relief valves,and of course, as you likely know, the vacuum actuated compressor was always on duty to keep a large, high pressure reserve available (those pumps could be rebuilt, but alas, the parts are no longer available).   All this is to say, that if you can purchase some kind of pressure relief valve, that could save you some frustration. I suggest that you "go the simple route" and then figure out how you want to use the car.  In one of my Eldos, I would re-inflate the shocks after several outings, as some loss always occurred through my repurposed relief valve.  I found that 60-70 psi got the rear end to rise, kept those single leaf springs protected and provided a nice solid even ride without bumping along with the front end facing the sky.  Hope this helps, James

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have manual filling on my Shocks and have never ever had a line pop out of the fittings, and I do drive over rough roads.

I even converted a fitting so that I could use the original brass fitting, and the modern plastic ends.

Bruce.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Is this a car you intend on showing in Primary at the Nationals? Pebble Beach, etc?
If the answer is no bag the air shock madness, reach out to Eaton Detroit Spring, they know EXACTLY which
rear spring will give your car the correct stance and with standard shocks.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

V63

'Coil over' shocks seem to work very nice too, have a set on an 03 DTS and I am quite surprised how nice they are. Just have to be careful not to get too aggressive of an assembly.