News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My first Cadillac is up for sale in Georgia

Started by Caddy Wizard, January 17, 2023, 04:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

I have no interest in this sale -- just posting in case someone else is interested.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/501280358428824/?mibextid=dXMIcH

This was my first Cadillac. A 1955 Series 62 Sedan.  Sold new here in Atlanta.  Always in Georgia.  Power windows and seats.  Factory Air (worked great for me in the 1990s).  I rebuilt the engine very well.  I stripped the body to bare metal (every square inch and zero rust) and painted it (DP90 epoxy primer on the bare metal, filler primer, then acrylic lacquer in the factory colors of Ascot Gray over Atlantic Gray).  Paint and body work took me 18 months of intensive effort. My father was a car painter and had taught me how.  This paint work came out virtually flawless.

Originally it had V-cloth interior, but the guy I sold it to decades ago put in a plain gray leather interior.  Car has not been used much in recent years.  Steering is probably still loose (like when I sold it).  Original chrome was a little tired, but looked nice.

Since then, I have had over twenty old Cadillacs.  Currently, I have four (including 2 1955s!).

Attached is a picture of what it looked like when I sold it.  Paint doesn't look as nice now, but probably could be buffed to look very nice.20220112_190849.jpg20220112_190849.jpg20220112_190849.jpg   
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jw4

Do I understand it correctly that you are not the current owner of the car? How long ago did you sell it? I saw this one listed of FB for a while, but skipped it because it appeared to be in rather questionable condition, based upon the two photos provided in the add.
Ivan Beliaev

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: Jw4 on January 17, 2023, 04:42:55 PMDo I understand it correctly that you are not the current owner of the car? How long ago did you sell it? I saw this one listed of FB for a while, but skipped it because it appeared to be in rather questionable condition, based upon the two photos provided in the add.

Yes, this used to be my car.  It is not mine any longer.  I sold it about 20+ years ago.

I know for a fact that it is a zero rust car -- I stripped it to bare metal myself.  The DP90 epoxy primer locks out moisture better than any other primer -- it won't be rusty now.  The lacquer paint still looked very good the last time I saw the car (about 10 years ago).  I suspect that one could buff the paint back up to a high shine.  When I sold it there was a scratch along the bottom of the doors on one side of the car -- my daughter did that by accident when she was about 4 (she is 28 now).  I hate the leather interior the previous owner put in it. The V-crest fabric was spectacular, but had a stain about 2 inches in diameter on the driver side.

If someone buys it and wants me to put it in top mechanical condition, I would be interested in that.  I charge $80 per hour and do high quality work.  I am as good as one would find in reviving a 55 and putting it in top mechanical condition.  The car is for sale about an hour from my home and workshop.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

badpoints

Looks like it isn't even washed in the photos. Sounds like a steal giving the work into it.

Jw4

Quote from: Caddy Wizard on January 18, 2023, 08:21:28 AMI know for a fact that it is a zero rust car -- I stripped it to bare metal myself. 

Quote from: badpoints on January 18, 2023, 09:42:37 AMLooks like it isn't even washed in the photos. Sounds like a steal giving the work into it.

These are very generous assumptions, in my opinion  ;)  However, anything could've happened to it in the last ~20 years... Could be a totally different car, now, and who knows what was done to it by different people.

Art, would it be appropriate to ask you to inspect the car to assess its current condition? This would be a ~5-hour drive for me. I already requested additional pictures, but the seller did not respond.

Thanks.
Ivan Beliaev

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: Jw4 on January 18, 2023, 09:48:34 AMThese are very generous assumptions, in my opinion  ;)  However, anything could've happened to it in the last ~20 years... Could be a totally different car, now, and who knows what was done to it by different people.

Art, would it be appropriate to ask you to inspect the car to assess its current condition? This would be a ~5-hour drive for me. I already requested additional pictures, but the seller did not respond.

Thanks.

I could inspect it.  Probably 3 hours total for me -- $250.

I doubt that serious rust could have set it.  Car is southern, never seen snow and salt.  Was taken to shiny as-new metal by me and then epoxy primed.  Only rust would be where paint and primer was knocked off -- unlikely.

Car looks filthy.  Probably not in good working condition right now.  Price seems a bit high to me.  I would think an appropriate price is 15-17 and then spend some money getting it working in top condition and even clean it up some.  Probably 25 would do that, including purchase price.

Car was sold new here in Atlanta at Capital Cadillac.  I bought it from 3rd owner in Decatur, GA.
Art Gardner

Jw4

Quote from: Caddy Wizard on January 18, 2023, 10:01:25 AMI could inspect it. 

Art, I attempted to send you a PM, but the mailbox is full.

I am interested in inspecting that car, but let's postpone it a bit. I already have two other vehicles ligned-up to check, and a trip to CA in 2 weeks. I would hate to waste your time, right now, and then not be able to take further action, assuming I like to move forward with this one.

If you don't mind, I have some additional questions:

Why did you sell the car after all the work you put into it?
Was the car sand-blasted or did you use another method for removing the old paint?
Did you have a chance to go into the enclosed cavities of the frame and or body?
Was it a complete frame-off restoration, or something else?
Ivan Beliaev

Caddy Wizard

Why did you sell the car after all the work you put into it? ANSWER= The paint job was my masterpiece.  After my daughter scratched it and made it imperfect, I couldn't bring myself to touch up the paint work and sold it.

Was the car sand-blasted or did you use another method for removing the old paint? ANSWER= I used a combination of chemical paint strippers and sanding to remove the paint.  Not sand-blasted.

Did you have a chance to go into the enclosed cavities of the frame and or body? ANSWER= The frame was not touched.  I removed all trim, bumpers, lights, etc.  That also meant removing the door panels to take the moldings off, so I have seen inside the doors (no issues there).

Was it a complete frame-off restoration, or something else? ANSWER= It was not a complete restoration.  I redid most of the mechanicals, including the engine.  Interior was still 100% original and very nice when I sold it.  Body was very straight and only needed body work at the bottom of one door.  Body was NOT removed from the frame. Chrome was not replated.

Art Gardner

Snibbor

Art,

I am in Atlanta. I have a '67 CDV that folks in Marietta (Randy's Automotive..you probably know them..they ONLY work on classic caddies) work on. Anyway, Randy's might be winding down soon. I'll need help with my '67...Can you assist me? Fell free to call me (404.354.1246).