News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Started by Harley e, February 19, 2023, 08:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harley e

Hello new member here. I just picked up my new project cadillac eldorado. Guy was going to part it out and I couldn't let that happen. I think it has a second life. Looking to make it a driver again then work on the cosmetics.

1976 eldorado convertible with EFI20230215_170536.jpg20230215_170553.jpg 

billyoung

Hello Harley and Welcome to the Home of misfit old Cadillac's and their lead by the Heart owners. I am presently resurrecting a neglected 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible, AKA Raggedy Ann. Where are you located?
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Harley e

Thanks for the welcome I am in Chicago.

Art Director

Welcome aboard! I'm originally from Chicago and the CLC has a great Region there you should join: The West of the Lake Region. Check our website for contact information: https://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/page/regions_chapters
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

James Landi

Welcome of the club of passionate Cadillac LaSalle owners... you've selected a truly durable model, the last of the full sized models, with plently of room to work, and most of the car entirely accessible for repairs and replacement for us shade tree mechanics.  I think you have a sane mission in mind... get the car mechanically sound and SAFE (e.g. brake lines,don't trust any tire over ten years-- ball joints, steering parts, etc replace flexible brake lines, tires) and then work on the cosmetics. This is an active club, and the forum is an excellent place to receive sound, experienced based advice.  So, I urge you to ask before you dive in, unless, of course, you're experienced, and as mentioned above, the local/regional club has many active members including our former CLC president, Glenn Bown.   Happy day,  James

jwwseville60

Thanks for saving a great Caddy!
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

KOKNEYELDO

Harley, I have a 75 Eldo and you will find out you now have a great Caddy.

As James said, do the basic stuff first, then start on the next item.

All of the fender extensions are available (OPGI), not too expensive and replacing them alone with transform the external appearance.

Well done!
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

Harley e

Thanks for the welcome. So far I have gotten the inside cleaned (mouse smell) no damage to wiring I found yet. Got the drivers door open it had a bad actuator that took a whole can of pb blaster till I could move it enough to open. And found out that it will run off starting fluid. Next I am going to look at the fuel pumps and ECM.
I hope I can tap into this well of knowledge as I go forward

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Good save.
Well done. Have fun bringing it back.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

James Landi

Sounds like it's been "parked" for years.... gas tanks can be full of "fuel separated" sand-like crud, as well as rust--all accumulating at the bottom of the tank an inch below the fuel pick up wire mesh sock. In some cases, that screen is impossibly blocked, so a new fuel pump may not be what you need.  I urge you to devise a SAFE alternative fuel supply, and not attempt to pull crud into the fuel lines, some folks  use small outboard motor fuel tanks with inexpensive electric fuel pumps... Drawing fuel from the tank in an effort to determine the tank's condition can be accomplished in several ways to determine if the tank can be cleaned in place, or will require you to drop it and have it cleaned. PLEASE handle gasoline safely, and do expect at the very least to have to replace rubber fuel lines that on hidden between the top of the tank and the trunk and fuel filters (buy a service manual!).  (The rubber fuel lines were reachable on my 72 Eldorado, and the old ones leaked due to age--- and that was 15 years ago!). ALso, flush that cooling system--old coolant can turn to metal eating acid, and your engine and radiator need to be flushed-- assume that the cooling system, transmission fluid, engine oil, and brake fluid need to be changed, as they are likely contaminated and can do significant damage if put into service on a running car .   Hope this helps,   James

TMoore - NTCLC

ah - you said fuel pump"S" and ECM - sounds like you have the fuel injected engine.  Once that system is sorted out, you should have a great running car.  You will find a wealth of talent here - Bruce Roe will get you started on the basics of the FI system, and he has the ability to troubleshoot/repair the ECM for you.  Additional members are working on solutions for the sensors, and fast-idle valves and other required bits - so you have some good resources to help you out.

Good luck - thanks for sharing the pics and keep us posted on progress