News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

390 Heat Control Valve Replace or Restore

Started by Clewisiii, March 11, 2023, 11:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

So far I have had 4 heat control valves in my possession.  They mostly fall apart.   

I have one that is nearly good.  It has a crack in a bad location. And I would need to drill and press in a new pin for the spring. 

I am taking my exhaust manifolds in for cerokote next week.  I was wondering if I should do the same for this valve. But I think it will be to much repair effort for something that will likely break again.

What are your thoughts or experience with these valves.  Are replacements available?IMG_20230311_113026073.jpgIMG_20230311_112951854.jpgIMG_20230311_112943997.jpgIMG_20230311_112934560.jpg   
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Daryl Chesterman

Caddy Daddy has one for sale but it is expensive!!!

https://www.caddydaddy.com/shop-parts/1956-1957-1958-1959-1960-1961-1962-1963-1964-1965-1966-1967-cadillac-heat-riser-reproduction-free-shipping-in-the-usa.html

USA Parts Supply shows one that is much more reasonable—scroll to  the top of page 32.

http://www.usapartssupply.com/uploads/USA%20PARTS%201949%20-1970%20Cadillac%20Catalog.pdf

It looks like the one you are showing in the pictures is not worth investing much effort into trying to preserve.  While you have the exhaust manifolds off, if you have the studs removed from the bottom of them, you should look closely at the gasket surfaces to be sure they are flat.  If not, now is the time to have them machined.  If they are not flat, when tightening the header pipe up to the heat riser/exhaust manifold it could put uneven tension on the heat riser and the heating/cooling cycles could cause the heat riser to crack, even though there are two gaskets to help with any evenness in surfaces.  Many people eliminate the heat riser and put in a spacer of equal thickness, then they don't have to worry about whether the heat riser sticks in the closed position.

Daryl Chesterman

russ austin

Unless your driving your car in the winter, I would do away with it. I have blanks for 45.00 plus shipping.  Please send me an email; russ@thecadishack.com
R.Austin

Clewisiii

Quote from: Daryl Chesterman on March 11, 2023, 10:18:28 PMCaddy Daddy has one for sale but it is expensive!!!

https://www.caddydaddy.com/shop-parts/1956-1957-1958-1959-1960-1961-1962-1963-1964-1965-1966-1967-cadillac-heat-riser-reproduction-free-shipping-in-the-usa.html

USA Parts Supply shows one that is much more reasonable—scroll to  the top of page 32.

http://www.usapartssupply.com/uploads/USA%20PARTS%201949%20-1970%20Cadillac%20Catalog.pdf

It looks like the one you are showing in the pictures is not worth investing much effort into trying to preserve.  While you have the exhaust manifolds off, if you have the studs removed from the bottom of them, you should look closely at the gasket surfaces to be sure they are flat.  If not, now is the time to have them machined.  If they are not flat, when tightening the header pipe up to the heat riser/exhaust manifold it could put uneven tension on the heat riser and the heating/cooling cycles could cause the heat riser to crack, even though there are two gaskets to help with any evenness in surfaces.  Many people eliminate the heat riser and put in a spacer of equal thickness, then they don't have to worry about whether the heat riser sticks in the closed position.

Daryl Chesterman

I don't know how much from their old catalog is still available.  I think they are mostly selling from their on hand parts.  I have contacted them a couple of times imes since the name change but they are not very good at responding. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Michael Petti

I second the idea of elimination. Mine is rusted open and since I only drive in warmer weather no problem. I have started it in the 40'ies on occasion. You will have to let it warm up a minute or two though.

Clewisiii

I will drive my car any time of year.  Here is a flyer for an annual local event.  Screenshot_20230312-091121-088.png

Chopper1942

The heat riser's purpose is to help varopize fuel when the engine is cold. Without it working or in place, in cold weather you will have rough running and hesitation issues.  If you let it run long enough and when it reaches normal operating temperature, it will run OK depending on the outside temp. When the engine is at operating temperature, no heat riser may lower the intake manifold temp some and on hot days reduce the chance for fuel boiling in the carb.  But, remember when the engine is cold any fuel that is not vaporized will go into the cylinders as a liquid and wash the oil off the cylinders.  This can lead to piston scuffing, increase ring and cylinder wear, and of course the dilution of the engine oil in the crankcase.  Need to change the oil more often.