News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

One of a Kind 1965 Fleetwood Pimpmobile / Superfly - All original?

Started by Eldorado James, August 08, 2019, 04:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldorado James

Hello CLC'ers --

First a question...has anybody ever seen any 1965-66 Fleetwoods that were customized like this?  Any background on them?

I'm giving the group first shot at this incredibly unique 1965 Fleetwood...going to be for sale shortly.  No history is available, but my speculation is that this Superfly conversion dates to around 1973 - based on materials, used.  I've never seem a 1965 in "Fly"mode...it's rare to see a 1969-70, since the movie popularizing this market segment (Superfly) did not premier until 1972.  Apparently somebody took an "old" 1965 Fleetwood and spent a lot of $$$ doing a high quality customization.   Gold velour & vinyl interior with black seats.  Flying Goddess hood ornament, custom hood header panel, CUSTOM CUT Spare mounts to exactly fit the 1965 fender, 4 pipe output chrome exhaust with shields, Awesome visor, Landau bars, Trunk Straps, Tip away spare tire mount with custom base made just for the 1965 Cadillac rear bumper, custom paint, limo-style rear window, half-roof with thick padded vinyl, Sunroof (in thin pad area, looks like open top in the dark), mini bar, etc etc.   

THIS IS A CAR THAT IS AT THE POINT WHERE IT NEEDS A FULL RESTORATION.  "The bones are there!"  Far from perfect yet one of a kind.  It would be sad to drive it into the ground, since it's an amazing survivor from an era in Cadillac history that is far gone.  Love them or hate them, the Fly Caddys are a deep part of American and auto culture.  This one deserves a home with somebody who will relentlessly restore her.

If you are interested PM me please.

Thanks!

EJ
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 35-709 on August 08, 2019, 06:55:53 PM
::)  Get the dimensions (plus a little for clearance), dig a very deep hole, gently place it in hole and cover.  RIP.

First, the post should be moved to the for sale section.

Second it is most definitely not something I would be interested in.

Third, the rolling eyes and comments are uncalled for.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

The front of the hood being upholstered should please the local bugs, as they would have something sot to hit when the car is travelling at speed.   Never seen that feature before, on any vehicle.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 35-709 on August 08, 2019, 09:34:00 PM
"Third, the rolling eyes and comments are uncalled for."

Oh, I don't know, the rolling of my eyes seeing that thing go by would probably be only one of several reactions I might have to it. 
Of course, I do understand "to each his own" and am well aware that my car too might invoke the same reaction in others here.       

I'm not a fan of it, but I'm not going to denigrate it or the owner here.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Eldorado James

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on August 08, 2019, 09:47:52 PM

I'm not a fan of it, but I'm not going to denigrate it or the owner here.

Thanks for leading the way on being classy, Mike....much appreciated.   I know there is a love/hate relationship with Superfly cars of the early 1970's (within Cadillac groups)...but on the outside there is a fair amount of appreciation for them at Car Shows / Cruise Night meets.  Hopefully I can get the car into the hands of an owner who can keep it locked into 1973 mode.  Even Edsels find love sometimes, right?  LOL

As for that padded hood front.....I am sure they could not find a chromed header piece like the Dunham Eldorados had.....so they made do.  It's odd but when you see the car in person...it makes sense.  It feels early 70's with it.  If I wasn't so heavily into my Superfly Eldo project, I'd consider keeping it as a novelty. No space though. LOL.

EJ
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

35-709

From your description EJ it was not apparent to me that you own the car, only that you knew it would be for sale.  So - I will delete my post(s) and will not comment further.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Eldorado James

Quote from: 35-709 on August 08, 2019, 10:27:41 PM
From your description EJ it was not apparent to me that you own the car, only that you knew it would be for sale.  So - I will delete my post(s) and will not comment further.

No worries.......the owner is a client of mine.  I am helping him sell it since he isn't I-net savvy.

EJ
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

hornetball

Whenever I come across a customization that, in total, doesn't appeal to me, I focus on details instead to appreciate the craftsmanship.  The Superfly cars aren't my thing, but there is a lot of effort and creativity that goes into one.  Same for low-riders and the latest "stance" craze.  I'll always render a compliment when the craftsmanship is there.  You have more in common with these folks than you think, and there are plenty of people out there that just want the whole lot (including ours) sent to the crusher.

Eldorado James

Quote from: hornetball on August 09, 2019, 09:38:30 AM
Whenever I come across a customization that, in total, doesn't appeal to me, I focus on details instead to appreciate the craftsmanship.  The Superfly cars aren't my thing, but there is a lot of effort and creativity that goes into one.  Same for low-riders and the latest "stance" craze.  I'll always render a compliment when the craftsmanship is there.  You have more in common with these folks than you think, and there are plenty of people out there that just want the whole lot (including ours) sent to the crusher.

It's interesting, Hornetball.....that this car had a lot of that effort you mention.  Not only were the fender mount spares custom cut and finished with stainless steel, but they went the extra mile and put a sleeve in the passenger side tire mount so the power antenna could pass through!  And the rear mount bumper spare housing was made to match perfectly to the bumper, unlike the aftermarket ones of the 1980's that everybody tries to mash onto 1970's bumpers.  And the gold velour headliner....well made, so much that it has lasted 40+ years.  That's why I think she is fully savable.  The craftsman ship was there in 1973 and somebody spent a helluva lotta money to accomplish this vehicle.  The right person is out there for it. :-)
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

The Tassie Devil(le)

I too appreciate the workmanship that tradespeople put into making these alterations, but what I cannot understand is when they don't complete the form and function by making the Spare Tyre contraptions to be able to actually carry a tyre.

Putting the Aerial through the right side cover is a sure indication that there is no tyre there, plus, when making the rear bumper tyre protector, there is no number plate, or plate illumination, which would make the vehicle unregisterable in most places in the world.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

67_Eldo

A 65 is an unusual car to customize (IMHO) because the basic design is, perhaps, the most un-flamboyant of GM's 1960s models.

The term "pimpmobile" and its associated idea must predate 1972.
https://www.chronicle.com/article/The-Ex-Pimp-Who-Remade-Black/231827

When I was in Seventh grade (1968) my Dad drove a 1963 SDV that had spinner hubcaps, chrome bullets across the middle of the grille, a wide chrome band down the belt line, and sported that weird pink/purple/lavender color that nobody could name. One day Dad dropped me off at the door while my English teacher was looking on. Never one to mince words, the first thing he (Mr. Delich) said to me is "Why does your Dad drive a pimpmobile?"

That was my introduction to the word "pimp" and all of its extensions in 1968. In Kansas.

In the mid 70's, Dad hit maximum "pimp" when be brought home a really decked-out 1971 Buick Riviera. The boat-tail, plus all the chrome, vinyl, and leather, was too much for my Mom to take. Even though it wasn't a Cadillac, the Riviera did a superb job exuding the proper vibe.

hornetball

It's cool that you've got that personal connection.  My current project, a '74 Persian Lime Eldo convertible that I'm restoring for my wife has a personal connection too.  It was the first car we bought as a married couple.  She REALLY wanted it and has always missed it.  35 years later, I'm getting her a better version -- with no rust this time.

Eldorado James

Quote from: 67_Eldo on August 09, 2019, 10:17:13 PM
A 65 is an unusual car to customize (IMHO) because the basic design is, perhaps, the most un-flamboyant of GM's 1960s models.

The term "pimpmobile" and its associated idea must predate 1972.
https://www.chronicle.com/article/The-Ex-Pimp-Who-Remade-Black/231827

When I was in Seventh grade (1968) my Dad drove a 1963 SDV that had spinner hubcaps, chrome bullets across the middle of the grille, a wide chrome band down the belt line, and sported that weird pink/purple/lavender color that nobody could name. One day Dad dropped me off at the door while my English teacher was looking on. Never one to mince words, the first thing he (Mr. Delich) said to me is "Why does your Dad drive a pimpmobile?"

That was my introduction to the word "pimp" and all of its extensions in 1968. In Kansas.

In the mid 70's, Dad hit maximum "pimp" when be brought home a really decked-out 1971 Buick Riviera. The boat-tail, plus all the chrome, vinyl, and leather, was too much for my Mom to take. Even though it wasn't a Cadillac, the Riviera did a superb job exuding the proper vibe.

I agree...the actual culture of flashy cars tied with the pimps/drug dealer/gambler-hustlers crowd certainly pre-dates the movies that made others culturally aware of them.  Growing up in the Chicago area at that time (early 1970's), I can recall seeing cars like this (Dunham/El Classico styles) on occasion.....They had that "Big City 1970's" vibe that was very strong and made a powerful statement.  I recall Jim Croce's popular song at the time, Bad Bad Leroy Brown....where he sang to many of us young kids about a South Side pool hustler who "had a custom Continental, he gotta Eldorado too".  A well painted musical picture of a specific individual that drove one of these cars. (Hey, Maybe Leroy Brown owned my friend's car??)

I am speculating this car (1965 Fleetwood) was likely in the South Side of Chicago during that time, since the minimal information on the car places is here (Chicago area) for quite a while. If only this car could take and tell it's history more...might be wild!  I just might do a title search now....hmmm....  Thanks for the link to the book and research on Robert Beck.  The article was so interesting that I ordered the book.   I have owned two Rivieras of that style (1972, 1973 GS) and loved them both...they are right behind Eldorados as my favorite GM cars of that era.  I bet your Dad's Riv was awesome!   (The Riviera was actually supposed to be a Cadillac model......).  Do you have any pics of the cars that you mentioned?

EJ
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

76eldo

Growing up on Philly I used to see some custom Caddy’s.

Used to pass Joe Frazier’s gym on North Broad St and see custom Eldo’s all the time.

It doesn’t seem to work well on a 65 Fleetwood but I’m sure someone will like it.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

67_Eldo

Quote from: Eldorado James on August 10, 2019, 08:42:35 AM
I bet your Dad's Riv was awesome!   (The Riviera was actually supposed to be a Cadillac model......).  Do you have any pics of the cars that you mentioned?
"Awesome" was not the word my Mom was thinking at the time. :-) This was before the era of easy photography -- we weren't much of a picture-taking family even by those standards -- and Mom wanted the Riviera gone as soon as possible.

The Riv was soon replaced with an Eldorado-substitute 1973 Olds Toronado (for Mom, replacing her '67 SDV) and an old Plymouth Fury police car (for Dad).

hornetball

cadillac ken

All original?  What is all original about it?

Are we so politically correct that we have to accept every modified Cadillac here as a work of art?  That car is simply ugly.  And needing full restoration? really? 

I don't get it.  And I have modified Caddilacs.

67_Eldo

First of all, not everyone needs to like it.

More to the point, given the extent to which this car was customized above and beyond the standard "styling tweaks" of the day -- no adhesive stick-on Continental Kit here -- I think this particular vehicle qualifies as a "period custom." With a period custom, your goal wouldn't be to restore the fundamental car to its factory condition. Your goal would be to "restore" the car to its "original" *custom* state.

Obviously the original customizer was using a 65 Fleetwood to make an automotive fashion statement at some later date. In this case, it is the "later date" that is the most interesting.

For an example, see this 1955 Studebaker President, circa 1962:
https://barnfinds.com/vintage-custom-1955-studebaker-president/

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Not my style but...
its an old Caddy and its still rolling.
Hope someone buys it and keeps it rolling.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

David King (kz78hy)

Rob Shaw in Canada likes this kind of stuff.  Not for me if free.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter