News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Steering Wheel swap for 1969 Deville

Started by cnave20986, July 31, 2022, 06:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnave20986

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum, if not please advise of the correct forum. I have a 1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible. From what i can tell, it has the original rim-blow steering wheel and the horn does not work (I have attached a pic of the steering wheel). My steering wheel has T/T and from what I have read I should be able to replace my steering wheel with one from a 1970's (any model) and the donor does not also have to have T/T? Is this just remove my old steering wheel and replace with the donor from 1970's model ( donor wheel may also need new rose)? Where will I pickup the hot wire for the horn from the old steering wheel? Any suggestions on where I might find a 1970's donor wheel, and what is the price range I should expect and any other info that might be helpful.
1969 steering wheel.jpg[attach id=192089] 
Thanks
Curtis   

V63

If memory serves.... I want to believe the rim blow horn also works on the center pad?

If it's disconnected, it maybe from the deteriorated rim blow portion. It's been 30 years since I had a 69 model but if you cut the connection to the rim blow the center should still function. That said if I am incorrect a 1970 pad might  adapt?

The horn wire is run up the center steering shaft. Yes, I believe a later wheel will adapt.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sorry, but the Centre Pad on the Rim-blow wheels is just there for looks.

Can it be converted to a '70 centre cap that works?   I am not sure, but worth investigation.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Very easy thing to do. I did it years ago on my 1969 with 1970 and 1973 wheels the horn will work fine with either of these and probably newer. The hard part is finding a decent looking wheel.

TJ Hopland

If a 73 fits a 69 then you should be able to go all the way through the 80's and the few that didn't have airbags in the 90's.  I have a mid 80's on my 73. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

No center pad blow on the 69's, rim blow only.

Be careful, y'all are treading on Modified Chapter territory.  ;)
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

V63

I would 'convert' your 69 pad to accept a 70-76 touch pad...effectively keeping the 1969 appearance.

cnave20986

Maybe this will help some fellow members. Apparently you can swap out steering wheels, but will need this adapator

https://www.autoprousa.com/1969-1989-GM-S6-Black-Telescopic-Hub-Adapter-p/sth1040blk.htm

George D. Mukalian CLC # 10047

I have a 1969 Cadillac Deville and the 1970 steering wheel will fit with no modifications.

I have a 1970 steering wheel in very good condition if you're interested.

Send me your cell number and I will send you a picture.

George
George D. Mukalian
CLC #10047

cnave20986