News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Generator wiring for 1940 LaSalle

Started by scott c. 40 LaSalle, August 04, 2022, 06:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott c. 40 LaSalle

Hi There.  I'm restoring my 40-52 and I just want to make sure I'm not making any mistakes.  I am replacing my fan blade and fan pulley after getting my radiator recored.  And now I need to install the generator.
Is the armature terminal on the generator on the right when looking at it from the front and the field terminal is on the left?  Of the two wires connecting to the generator I believe the larger wire goes to the armature terminal? Yes?
The screw to the side is that a ground screw?
But there wasn't a wire connected to this when I bought the car running.  If it does need a ground wire is there a specific spot for it to be grounded to? In the shop manual is does not show a ground off the generator.Hmmm?

The second picture shows the two wires off the generator snaking over to the side wall and connecting to a manifold where several wires converge and then go off to different places.  Is this "manifold" the correct destination of both wires from the generator? 

Finally, is there any advice or caution when installing my pulley and the two belts? For example torque amounts for the bolts? And dare I say / ask.... the proper belts (available) to use?

I hope the pictures help.  And thanks for your help and confirmation.  Cheers scott!
IMG_1218.JPGIMG_1219.JPG 

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

You are right on the Gen wires.  If you look carefully, they are marked "A" and "F".  Shows clearly in the picture.  Yes, the wires connect to like wires on the terminal block on the inner fender.  I believe the extra screw on the generator is for mounting a capacitor for radio noise suppression. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

scott c. 40 LaSalle

bcroe

Quote from: Brad Ipsen CLC #737 on August 04, 2022, 10:02:37 PMYou are right on the Gen wires.  If you look carefully, they are marked "A" and "F".  Shows clearly in the picture.  Yes, the wires connect to like wires on the terminal block on the inner fender.  I believe the extra screw on the generator is for mounting a capacitor for radio noise suppression. 

If you do add that cap for radio noise, it can
only connect to the Armature terminal.  No cap
may be used on the Field term, about the only way
to help that is shield the entire run of the wire. 
The noise problem vanishes with an internally
regulated alternator.  Bruce Roe

J. Russo

Scott,

I'm not familiar with which engine is in your model. I have a 1941 Series 63 with the V8 346 Cubic Inch flathead.

I recently changed both belts. If you have the support (pictured) for the oil bath air filter that attaches to the generator bracket, make sure the fins behind the pulley do not contact this support. It happened to me as I didn't have the proper clearance when I tightened the generator bolts to the engine.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828