News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Will a FWD HT 4100 fit in a RWD brougham

Started by JerRita, August 07, 2022, 04:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerRita

A friend has a 50k FWD HT 4100 motor in an Eldorado Will that swap into my 1984 RWD Brougham easily? Thanks JeRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

V63

There were 2 FWD versions if it is a transverse mounted 4.1 then that answer is no.

smokuspollutus

nope, unless that Eldorado is from 1985 or older.

JerRita

Hi all I have to clarify The Eldorado is an 1984 FWD w/ the HT 4100 Will that engine go into my RWD Brougham? My Tranny is good in the Brougham. If not why? Thank you all

smokuspollutus

In that case, yes it will, you will need to transfer the Brougham's flywheel, exhaust manifolds and oil pan & pump onto the new engine.

JerRita

Thanks for the info I will look into it further

79 Eldorado

JeRita,
What happened to the rest of the Eldorado?

Scott

dochawk

hmm, I posted yesterday, I wonder where it went?

Is the 4100 able to handle the weight of the brougham?

(or were they all the same size at that point?  I forget)

I ask because know that even the Northstar never went into the bigger rear drive vehicles.  The nominal horsepower alone isn't enough to substitute.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

V63

The 4100 was embarrassing pathetic at handling the larger cars, Eldorado included ... except the transverse mounted (engine sideways) applications (1985-1987) they were sufficient I suppose. They were still problematic however.

In 1986 the larger RWD 'brougham' went back to a cast iron V8 5.0 and later upped again to an available 5.7.

My best advise to you is to (Forget anything 4.1) find a 1986-89 Model that looks almost identical to your car,  but  has a more durable drive train than the meek 4.1 versions of 1982-85.

Plus the wood grain is improved in my opinion.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: dochawk on August 09, 2022, 07:36:35 PMhmm, I posted yesterday, I wonder where it went?

Is the 4100 able to handle the weight of the brougham?

(or were they all the same size at that point?  I forget)

I ask because know that even the Northstar never went into the bigger rear drive vehicles.  The nominal horsepower alone isn't enough to substitute.

The HT4100 was the standard gasoline V8 in all models from 1982 to 1985 (exc Limousines) including the full size DeVille & Brougham. Acceleration was "sufficient" for most normal driving; it was on steep grades that the lack of horses was most likely to become objectionable. The 307 Olds 4 bbl that replaced the 4100 on the RWD Brougham beginning in 1986 significantly improved reliability but was still almost as sluggish. The  optional 5.7 liter Chevrolet engine that appeared in 1990 and the 305 & 350 engines of 1991 & 1992 dramatically improved performance in these cars.

The 305 was eliminated in the redesigned 1993 RWD Fleetwood which was available with the 350 only until that model was dropped in 1996, however HP was boosted significantly from 1994 to 1996. After that there was no more RWD Cadillac passenger car for a Northstar to be installed in.     
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute