News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 / 1960 Hood Compatibility

Started by ccblunt, August 10, 2022, 07:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccblunt

I need to replace the hood on my 1960 SdV project, and have a line on a hood the seller is almost certain came from a 1959 rather than a 1960. (Not clear which model.) Are the hoods from all models interchangeable? And will the 1959 hood fit my car, or fit with some modifications? I'm not going for perfect authenticity - just trying to find something to get my SdV on the road.

Christopher Blunt
Leslie, MI
Christopher Blunt
1960 Sedan DeVille

Lexi

The 1961 Cadillac Master Parts List notes the following in Group 13.0010 (Hood Panel. In Primer), page 283 (revised October 1, 1962): "1959; 1960........*363 1559 122.00 Drill holes as required". So it appears that a '59 hood on a '60 Cadillac, is the same except for where "holes" must be drilled. Perhaps to accommodate any changes in badging mounts, for example? In that event you may find some holes where you don't want them. Broughams would perhaps be different, but the information for your SDV car seems to say OK for this project. You still got research to do to confirm all this and to ensure the hood the seller has did come from a regular series '59 Cadillac. Just passing info off from the MPL, with no guarantees. Best of luck with this project. Clay/Lexi

60eldo

I have a 59 hinge here and a 60. If this helps they are the same, even the holes. Lexi, what holes were you talking about, the ones in the hood or the fender wall.
Jon. Kluczynski

Lexi

Hello Jon. Hope all is well with you. It was not me talking about the "holes", it was the Master Parts List, of which I copied the relevant text in my previous post. Unfortunately Cadillac did not identify these holes, just that "as required" some drilling may be needed. Notwithstanding this, it appears that the sheet metal is the same. I mentioned perhaps the badge as a potential area of concern as a reasoned guess, but exact details were not noted in the parts manual by Cadillac. Of note is that the MPL is not a "how to" manual, but a parts book. Perhaps a Shop Manual comparison of hood and badging removal of both '59 and '60 hoods would reveal what the MPL alluded to? Clay/Lexi

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The main panel is the same. The valence between the top of the grille and the hood is what differs between 1959 & 1960 which is likely the reason for holes to be drilled. This also means the valence from the '60 hood will have to be reused on the 1959 hood, assuming it's in usable condition. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute