News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Engine Stalls in Gear

Started by Joshua, August 13, 2022, 10:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

Hello Everyone  :D

I just got a 390 engine up and running after the previous owner let it sit for several years. After replacing all of the usual parts (including spark plugs, ignition wires, points & condenser) it runs well. However, as soon as it's placed in gear, it immediately stalls. I looked over the shop manual, but did not see anything that spoke to this condition. It's possible I missed something, so I figured I would come here to see if anyone has any suggestions. I have looked through the "usual" things like vacuum leaks, fuel delivery and compression.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Josh  :)
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 Window (X2)
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 4 Window
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood
1964 Volkswagen Type I

Michael Petti

What carburetor is on it? Rochester or Carter? How many miles are on the car? How long did it sit? Did you let it warm up before putting it into gear. Are you using fresh gasoline?  Sounds like insufficient fuel. The causes that come to mind are a weak fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, choke not working on a cold engine, and maybe a dirty carburetor. Gas sitting for long periods, especially if it's got ethanol in it is not good. Need to check the fuel system including fuel pump pressure. Maybe clean or rebuild the carburetor.  My 60 had issues like this new ignition parts and I found a weak fuel pump and a carburetor that needed rebuilding. Runs good now.

fishnjim

Is it running while in park or neutral?
Only stops when in drive? or reverse? or both?
Could be the trans.
There's many other "faults" that can be at play.  How many miles?
How did you set the timing?
They sit for a reason, and if it's not recorded, it becomes a puzzle.
I like a systems approach to getting them going.  Bring every system up and functioning properly before starting.  That way you know things are right and can have a better chance of success and eliminate combination factors.  And your issues won't necessarily be what others had.   We get stumped then seek help rather than do the work up front, checking and correcting.

Joshua

Quote from: Michael Petti on August 14, 2022, 08:17:18 AMWhat carburetor is on it? Rochester or Carter? How many miles are on the car? How long did it sit? Did you let it warm up before putting it into gear. Are you using fresh gasoline?  Sounds like insufficient fuel. The causes that come to mind are a weak fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, choke not working on a cold engine, and maybe a dirty carburetor. Gas sitting for long periods, especially if it's got ethanol in it is not good. Need to check the fuel system including fuel pump pressure. Maybe clean or rebuild the carburetor.  My 60 had issues like this new ignition parts and I found a weak fuel pump and a carburetor that needed rebuilding. Runs good now.

Hi Michael, thanks for your response. To answer your questions.
1) It has the factory Carter, thank goodness they are much better in my experience.
2) The odometer reads 50,000, but I figure it is more like 150,000.
3) According to the previous owner, it sat for ~5 years. It also "ran fine when parked".
4) Yes, I always let an engine warm up properly before attempting to drive it.
5) Yes, the freshest gasoline I can get my hands on.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have gone through all of the systems and they all appear to be operating as they should. I will keep searching.

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated,
Josh  :D
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 Window (X2)
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 4 Window
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood
1964 Volkswagen Type I

dn010

I'd look at the linkage and make sure it is not making contact with any wiring once you change gear position. What is your idle RPM set to?
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

bcroe

With wear I had that type trans hesitate to properly
downshift, causing a stall.  good luck, Bruce Roe