News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

UPDATE on STRANDED IN DETROIT -- '72 CDV

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, August 16, 2022, 01:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Hi folks,

I have been remiss in sharing the final chapter of our saga in Detroit a few weeks ago.

After replacing the burned out points and the high voltage coil, the car ran great.  The car show was on Saturday and we left Sunday morning.  We made it about 20 minutes....ugh.

After a tow off of the busy highway and to the house of our mechanic friend, we discovered that the second set of points had burned up.  Some diagnosing later, we learned that the alternator was putting out 18 volts instead of 14.  Luckily I had a new alternator (with built in regulator) in the trunk.  I had an inkling that there was a problem because all of the electrical bits (e.g. headlights, blower, signals) "surged" with increasing rpm.  What I didn't realize was that the surging was more voltage than it should have been rather than the lulls being less output than it should have been.  Duh.

Anyway with another set of points and the new alternator we were on our way.  It's a long drive (especially when you have to fill up so often at 11 mpg), but the car did great the whole time, cruising between 70 - 75 mph.

Thanks again to everyone who helped!

Gary