News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: 1955 battery removal
Last post by Lexi - Today at 09:39:14 AM
Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on Today at 06:20:59 AMLexie,

In the picture you show of the carrier attached to the battery terminals, I am sorry to point out they are upside down.

Plus, I would never lift any battery with these straps if any angling has to be done.

Bruce. >:D

Bruce this particular strap only fits one way. I agree that it is best to use your hands to remove these batteries and not to use a lifting strap at an angle. Clay/Lexi
Thanks Bruce.  The whole unit was replaced at CPR when I bought the car, 4 or so years ago.  The old one was a total mess!!  Because it was new and I haven't put that many miles on the car, I'm surprised that the pump died but oh well.

On every Cadillac I own, the problem is almost always the fuel pump!  I always carry a spare in the trunk.  Of course replacing them is easier on the older cars.

Thanks for the help!
I saw that as well. Amazing where some of these finds can turn up.
I saw this on Face book.....I hope we hear the story someday.

This beautiful 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham was recently found in an underground garage in NYC. She hasn't seen light since the 1970s ㋡

Some really cool cars are still out there waiting to be found.

I cringe a little bit about that tow strap so close to that lower bumper bar....those crack real easy....

Mike
I would first start with polarizing the generator.
I put a modern sized battery in mine.... And it was even tough to get in there. It's a few years old now and I have often wondered about getting it out of there.
General Discussion / Re: Where are the OEM Parts Su...
Last post by M. Bankes - Today at 09:12:26 AM
Hi,
I am the owner of CadillacVille. Dbaer is retired and not active in the business anymore. I am sorry that I am hard to get ahold of, and slow to deal with. I am only 1 person, I try my best to deal with everything, but there is only so much I can do. I have tried to hire someone to help but between trying to find someone and then the expense of paying them to locate the parts and remove them it just doesn't make any financial sense at the end of the month. You ask where all the parts suppliers have gone, this is the answer. Storage of the cars and parts is expensive. Labour is expensive. Overhead is expensive. As you said, when you do find a part you have been looking for it is expensive, which makes allot of people not buy they. At the end of the day it is a business, I need to pay my bills the same as everyone else. I had employees, and it helped me get the parts faster and have much better customer relations, but the business couldn't support it at the end of the month. The only was I have found to survive is to be a " one man band "
Your message on here is misleading. You sent me an email on Tues, stating you saw my Craiglist ad. I am not running any Craiglist ads. Your message asked for a 1959 front bumper and then referenced a 1953 front bumper as well,  so I thought the email may have been a mistake honestly. You emailed again on Wednesday, without the Craiglist reference, and I replied on Thursday. Yes you are absolutely correct it took me 2 days to reply to you. You are 100% incorrect when you say you have inquires have resulted in " nothing but crickets ". After my initial reply we emailed back and forth several times yesterday in fact. I can not turn wrenches, remove parts, disassemble cars and talk on the phone. Email or text is my preferred method of communication because I can reply when my hands are free. Like I said, the only business model I have been able to make work for me is to be a one man band. Yes, I do know it means I loose sales on parts I can't get too fast enough, but I can't help that. A hired hand results in loosing money for me, and then I won't be around to help the people I am able to help. It's just a fact that I have to deal with. Again, I am sorry you feel my communication is sub par, I will work on improving it as best I can in the future
Michael.
Quote from: Jason Edge on Today at 08:44:47 AMFor example, on my 1964 Coupe de Ville the outlet code is 160111 on the build sheet and Dealer Code 363521(McKellar Cadillac, Orlando, FL) on the owner ID card. This is assuming that the outlet code and dealer code stayed the same.

In this case, it appears the car was originally shipped to a big distributor (as indicated by -111) from whom the dealer 363521 obtained it. Even after the dissolution of the distributor method, smaller dealers continued to acquire inventory from the former big distributors. 
Quote from: Jason Edge on Today at 08:44:47 AMIt sounds like with no documentation at best someone could start to build an index from owners that have both the owner ID card and the build sheet.

There had been some talk of doing just that a while ago. I don't know if anything ever came of the idea.
General Discussion / Re: How to find out who the or...
Last post by Jason Edge - Today at 08:44:47 AM
Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on Today at 07:46:54 AMData plate won't reveal anything regarding the original point of sale. Only on the build sheet are outlet codes listed. Prior to 1960, outlet codes were three character letter ie, CHI, ATL for Chicago and Atlanta so some of these are readily interpreted. Beginning in 1960, the codes were six digit numerical, ie 850111 which I happen to know was the code for Chicago. Codes ending in -111 were used for the former large distributorships from which smaller dealers had obtained their inventory. That year, the dealer/distributor network was eliminated and smaller dealers could now place orders directly to the factory. Due to the number of dealers that were now being recognized, the old three-character system was no longer adequate, thus the new six-digit system was adopted. Since Tim indicated Tom Hall is an "expert" on dealer codes, I wonder if he has such a list?

The problem is that there is no known master list for these outlet codes of which there were around 200 nationwide at the time. Since the number of cars sold through small dealerships is very small compared to the large distributors, information linking a specific code to a specific dealership is much more difficult.
It sounds like with no documentation at best someone could start to build an index from owners that have both the owner ID card and the build sheet.

For example, on my 1964 Coupe de Ville the outlet code is 160111 on the build sheet and Dealer Code 363521(McKellar Cadillac, Orlando, FL) on the owner ID card. This is assuming that the outlet code and dealer code stayed the same.