News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1950 Coupe DeVille Experts....I need help!

Started by joeinbcs, October 04, 2016, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

I have a chance to buy a 1950 Coupe DeVille that was restored in the '70's.
It won many awards and was put away about 20 years and only started occasionally since.
Attractive color combination...Not sure what the correct color is called, but I would call it French Blue, with a black top.
Interior was new at restoration, and is covered in plastic protectors.
Engine bay has been fully restored and detailed...its the best part of the car...runs like a sewing machine.
Has a continental kit, which I think is ugly, and wire wheels.
Paint seems to have some roughness, but my paint guy seems to think it can be color sanded...
Chrome looks like it was just done...and, there's a lot of it...LOL!
It has wire wheels..I don't know enough about these cars to know if these are correct...
There are some issues with the hydraulic windows...they work, but one leaks, and I'm told they still use brake fluid, rather than transmission fluid?
If not for the paint issues, it would be a strong number 2 car in my view.
I believe there were only 4000+ of these made, so fairly low production, and I also read that the first CDV in '49 was a show car.
I've been searching the net, but don't have a sense of what a good deal on a car like this would be...any ideas?
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

Chuck Patton

Hello Joe

Glad to read of your interest in acquiring a 1950 Coupe DeVille.

I would be cautious with a vehicle that has been driven sporadically.  However if I were you I would contact CLC Member Jay Friedman.  He is honest, unselfish and very knowledgeable with this era Cadillac.  If Jay says buy it now, I would run to the bank!
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Joe,

The following are comments about authenticity, not the condition or value of this particular car.
1. Check the data plate for the model number which should be 6237DX. If it’s a Series 62 Coupe dressed up with de Ville interior, the plate will read 6237 or 6237X for power windows.
2. CDV interior had a 1-2” wide metal trim molding around the perimeter of the headlining that also extend to the small area of the “B” pillar. For blue interior the metal would be painted dark blue with a light gray headliner.
3. The seat upholstery  that I can see looks like CDV design but the fabric on the lower portion is not correct. Interiors were available in blue or tan and that fabric should be dark blue plain broadcloth.
4.The ‘Coupe de Ville” emblem should not be on the rear quarter. It was not used on the car’s exterior at all. Cadillac did not use the emblem until ’51 when it was placed on the exterior chrome molding on the “B”  pillar.
5. The color combination is not a standard two-tone. The only black roof was used with Fiesta Ivory lower. If it was special ordered, the paint code should indicate SO or 000.

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

joeinbcs

Thanks for the thoughts on the '50, which helped me make the decision not to move on it.
I would consider buying the car, but only to flip (I'm really a 1960's guy).
That prospect seems too uncertain for me.
Appreciate the input!
Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

joeinbcs

A little more info on the '50, which I decided against, but a friend of mine bought:
"1950 Cadillac Coupe Deville. Body 2,352 of 4,507. Code 20 Hampten Blue Metallic upper, Corinth Blue lower. Trim 48 Blue plain broadcloth with gray leather. 48,875 miles."
Its new home will be Austin, with a CLC member who may add more later.
Thanks for the help.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

35-709

I'm not crazy about the "Connie" kit either, sure is a pretty looking car though and I wouldn't refuse it because of that Connie kit.  I can't imagine many people in the know using brake fluid in the power window system any more.  Folks have been using ATF instead for years, even those bent on originality --- just not worth it.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2