News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 rare GM Motorama Cadillac on ebay - Bruce Berghoff

Started by Paul, March 23, 2005, 09:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

To all CLC members especially Bruce Berghoff.

Has anyone else seen the rare 1959 (1960) Cadillac convertible on ebay? The seller claims it to be a rare 1959 Cadillac convertible with a 1960 body which he says was "...on show at the 1959 Motorama at New York."

I am interested in this car if it is in fact a one-off.

However I am concerned about the following:

The seller states that the car is an original Brenton Blue car which was Brenton Blue at the Motorama in 1959. He has supplied letters to state that the car was an original Brenton Blue car at the show.  But he supplies on the ebay page the cars build sheet which clearly shows the car was originally Dover white body (12) with black/white interior (20).

The car is now red (repainted) and retrimmed (red/white).

Does anyone know anything about this car and why the build sheet would be different than the stated colour by the seller?

The car chassis number is shown as 59F042438, showing that it is a 1959 Cadillac convertible.

But it has a 1960 body. Would it be possible to put a 1960 body on a 1959 Cadillac at some later stage of the cars life?

The car can be seen at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4537391857&category=6147 TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4537391857&category=6147

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Saw your query about that "1959" Motorama convertible. I have some serious doubts about the authenticity of the proposed car.

So far as I know there were only two "specials" at the 1959 Motorama: (1) the Cyclone concept car and (2) GMs "Firebird III".

I am naturally broad-minded and will certainly add this car to my "Dream Cars" page if and when the vendor can provide "real" authentification.

My guess (opinion only): the car was a real, Dover white 59 convertible with 2-tone black&white trim; body probably got bad; owner possibly found a nice 60 body ; did a switch. This transpires from the factory build-sheet.

Bruce Berghoff- #1476

Goodafternoon Paul... Wow.... another $3 million dollar Motorama Dream Car appears from under the straw ???? I DONT THINK SO ! Regarding "from scratch" GM concept vehicles, the only one at the Jan. 59 Waldorf show was the Firebird III. While the XP-74 Cyclone had already been completed by Styling Staff in 1958, GM chose not to unveil it publically until late Feb. 1959 at Daytonas Speedweek. As far as a "Brenton Blue" beauty decked out with a 1960 convertible body is concerned.... I dont recall seeing any Cadillacs with modified fins at the Waldorf. Unfortunately I havent found my photos of the Cadillac Divisional room that would show their 4 or 5 displayed production cars. The only Cadillac in the Main Ballroom was a pearlescent white Coupe de Ville stripped of its drive train and lightened so it could be manipulated on the spectacular "grasshopper" animated stage. ( I hope my lack of recall doesnt cost some well intentioned seller $2,997,000.) !        Cordially... forgetful Bruce

Brian Laurance

Among the supporting documentation included on the Ebay auction is a letter from a Michael Cohen, who claims to remember the exact date that he attended the 1959 Motorama.  The problem is that the date he identifies is October, 1959, at which time General Motors would have been introducing its 1960 models.  To my knowledge, there was no 1960 Motorama, and it makes no sense that GM would have scheduled its 1959 Motorama at the end of the model year.

There is nothing about this auction that persuades me that the car was a genuine Motorama car.

Porter 21919

Most people here know all of this dealers cars are the finest in the land and either rare or at the very least meticulously restored with no expenses spared, henceforth the high "by it now" price. If at first you dont succeed just keep re-listing until you find a "smart" car collector with lots of money to purchase one of his collector Cadillac "gems".

Porter

Matt Mersereau

I agree with Porter on the reputation of this eBay seller. His cars may look okay in digital photographs, but Ill bet hes responsible for many disillusioned eBay car buyers.

Porter 21919

Matt,

I know a CLC member that purchased a "Pebble Beach" quality Cadillac from the above mentioned dealer, sight unseen or should we say photos seen. When the shipper delivered need I say it was an ugly experience.

Porter

Joe Abernathy #17524

I traveled to Ft. Lauderdale several months ago to check out a cad this guy had listed.  After seeing the operation I can honestly say that I would not believe anything he told me.

Buyer be(very)ware!

Joe Abernathy #17524

BTW...while I was there I saw the "Motorama car" as it was being built...I mean restored.

Charles D. Barnette #1465

For reference purposes, there were only two official 1959 Motorama shows and both were held in late 1958. There was no 1960 Motorama.

robert p millian

Paul

I just looked at the pictures of this car and all I can see is that the complete exterior body is that of a 60 cady series 62 conv. The interior door panels and seats is that of a 59. It appears to me that someone took a 60 conv and installed a 59 interior.

Bob

John Lawrence

Ah!  another RARE collectible from the folks who use (or is it missuse?) Ebay.

I wouldnt accept this car as genuine unless it came with a letter from Cadillac with the VIN and body number on it.  Some nice black and white pics of it on the Motorama turn table would be good too.  

All things being equal,  youd get a better bargain on Elviss last roll of Toilet paper or the Dorito chip that looks like the Popes hat.   Wait a minute?   most of my Doritos look like that!

John L.

Paul

John - ALL your Doritos look like that?

WOW!

You are sitting on a fortune. Ask the guy selling the rare Motorama Cadillac if he will consider swapping the car for your Doritos.

Ed Mobley

Given the no expense spared $100K restoration, he could have obtained the proper hood insulation.  Whatever he put on there looks horrible.

Ed

JIM CLC # 15000

03-30-05
ED, you will have to admit that the "hello officer red" paint job is a nice color for a conv.
Good Luck, Jim

John L.

Paul:   "Sitting" on a Fortune?   Maybe not with the Doritos, but if one to buy the Elvis Toilet paper......

Why would someone restore a supposedly Rare car and then change the color to Resale Red?  oh wait... I just answered my own question again!

John L.

Yann Saunders, #12588

The bidding has ended.  The reserve was not met.  The car has not been sold.  Im not surprised.  Look for it in a coming auction.

Joe

This same car is advertised in the April Hemmings by Ludvig. Price? "Expensive" Hes got a full page ad....other cars too....

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Sitting here in Bangkok, Thailand, examining with a fine-tooth comb the original press kit for the 1959 Cadillac models, belonging to CLC member Jean-Michel Roux.

There is nothing in there about any special Motorama car with a 1960 body and TV in the dash.