News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: New to the Club and Need S...
Last post by billyoung - Today at 06:24:29 AM
Welcome, Sorry to hear the news of your Father. I was born and raised in Rochester. I was a member of the Western New York Chapter for many years. Regarding a trustworthy mechanic contact Steve Lamagna he Loves old Cadillac's and owns a perfect 1965 Rivera and is a lifelong mechanic and can do anything, his number is 585 415 5141.
General Discussion / Re: Where are the OEM Parts Su...
Last post by Carfreak - Today at 05:50:32 AM
Steven,

Did you see this website? Looks like they got bought out but not sure how long ago. Have you tried to contact the new owners and got crickets or were you using an old email address?

https://www.cadillacville.com/
Jay, I have one Optima battery in my '47.  Its been in there 13 or 14 years, and works well.  Easy to get in and out also
In relation to this topic (not hijacking), I was wondering how long do your batteries last in general?
In my cars I get 10 years of life quite easily. The only thing I do is that I disconnect one battery lead when I park the car and reconnect it when I want to drive it.
In addition to oil changes, you should have tune up items checked regularly. Check timing, points, condenser and rotor. I check mine annually. Depending on how often you drive, you probably won't have to replace parts that often. But maintenance interval were much shorter than they are for contemporary cars. Get the antifreeze checked/replaced every couple of years. If the car doesn't like 91 octane, try adding an octane booster. My cars are happy on that, and I'm stuck with ethanol-infested gas except when I stop by a nearby racetrack for the really good stuff.
I've used Auto-Sol for cleaning dirty/tired chrome, but prefer something less abrasive for chrome in good shape. I like Klasse All in One for routine detailing of healthy chrome. I don't see why you couldn't wax interior chrome if you're so inclined.
I use Loctite Super Bearing Mount when fitting Speedie Sleeves.   Never had any leakage.

Plus, real easy to fit using the supplied tool and a hammer.   If I have to press it on further, I cut the end off the Installer, and use a tube the same size as the installer.

Bruce. >:D 
It is hard to tell, but the lighter one does look better to me.   But, it is not my car.

I have tossed in the two pictures for comparison.   I am referring to the woodgrain applique, light and dark.   The one of the right side is standard 1972, and the one of the dash cluster is 1971

I had to use the 1971 darker one as the 1972 one that I had was butchered to be useless.

I like the lighter colour.   To me it is classier.

Bruce. >:D
Greg, they were thicker than the original.  They were 6mm and the old ones were 4mm. Also, I could not get the tabs to go into the slots in the cover, the material was too thick.  I could not keep the gasket in place to get it in position when I tried to install them.  I gave up and ordered another brand then the FelPro which were thinner, but they didn't seal well. I may have warped the covers trying to stop the leaks with the thinner gaskets by over tightening the bolts. 

I have a granite surface plate in my shop so I will check the covers to make sure they are straight.  If not I will try to hammer them straight.  Then I'm going to try the FelPro with Permertex on both sides of the gaskets.  Also, plan to torque the bolts to 10 ft. Pounds.  I hope that will stop the leaks.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.   
Greg, it's the same starter I took out of the car. I had it rebuilt because I wanted to make sure it would fit and have the bolt holes for the bracket and ran support.  I think I don't have the bracket in the correct position when I bolted it to the starter.  Unfortunately, I can't get at the bolt on the starter to tighten it when the bracket is on the starter.  Thanks for your reply.