News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

incorrect vin on title

Started by s.wood, August 21, 2021, 01:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s.wood

I have inherited a 1959 Caddy Fleetwood from my father. He purchased it in 1991 from a museum in Texas and restored it. He passed away 1n 1997.
I have the title, it was registered and driven in Florida. It has sat idle since 1997. Now in California I'm re-restoring it. I am trying to register it but the VIN seems incorrect. He probably didn't know where the VIN was located on the car so a made-up number was assigned. I have tried to look up the correct VIN number for its history but with no luck in finding anything out about it.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

S.Wood

TJ Hopland

I doubt the title you have has any value unless it does happen to be a real car that still exists but I'm not sure how you would go about searching that.

As to how to get a title for the car you do have that is up to your state.  My guess is like most states they will require some sort of inspection to verify the actual VIN number.  Once they have that they will do an immediate search of current stolen vehicles and if it doesn't come up on that list you usually get the option to get some sort of temporary title that often requires specific insurance and often a bond.    How long that title lasts and if you need the bond and other restrictions differs state to state.   Usually after some number of years those extra requirements get dropped and it becomes yours.  The bond is for if at some point someone else comes up with some claim to that car there is money on hand to settle with one of the parties.

I have had this happen where any human with a brain could see it was a typo either from back in the hand written days with similar characters or on the keyboard times with adjacent keys.   They don't seem to care, process is the same if one number is off or all of them.    In one of my cases the wrong letter was the assembly plant and I brought the factory service manual in and showed them that say K wasn't even an option for that year but J was.   Nope didn't matter.   I could see if maybe the wrong number was in the serial number part,  sure then maybe it could be the wrong car but when the wrong number isn't even possible?   Didn't matter to them.   In my case it was a beater car near the end of its life so I just got tabs for the title I had and put them on the car I had which I'm sure violated several laws but got my moneys worth out of the car then scrapped it.  I told the scrap yard about the issue and they didn't care.   Story would be a lot different with a 59 I'm sure since it has a lot more value than what I was playing with.         
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Lexi

First order of the day would be to determine whether you are indeed working with a bona-fide VIN number. It would be interesting to see what was used for licensing purposes, especially as back in the 1950s there was no standardized VIN. With these old Cadillacs it is not uncommon for a cowl plate number to be used in place of the VIN for licensing purposes. That would be incorrect. The 1959 Cadillac Shop Manual notes location of the correct number. See upper left portion of attached image, page 1-2.

With respect to the reported locations of the VIN, it is not unusual for the lube tag to be missing and even the engine swapped out, so inspect the frame for the number. With some '50s Cads the VIN is also repeated on the frame, rear passenger area, top side, though would normally only be visible when doing a body off restoration. I have seen where the cowl tag number was used and a trip to the licensing office along with the shop manual as well as a letter by an accredited appraiser normally would rectify this. As TJ noted, however, laws may be different in each jurisdiction. Clay/Lexi

fishnjim

Not sure for CA, but most states have a means to "correct" incorrect info on titles.  Check with your licensing agency for the paperwork and procedure.   Probably will need a police VIN check.   But they may not know where to look either and need to be schooled.   There was no unified VIn before '64.   Some states had no title law.   Usually when you transfer such a vehicle it goes through the states procedure to re-title.   It takes a while - bureaucratic.
I guess you need to check the numbers match and your looking at the right numbers and have the probate info to prove ownership.   If the VIN plate has been removed some states won't register it, and require salvage title but only a few.   With as many hot rods in CA, I suspect they're well familiar with this issue.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi,
I can probably help. DON'T go to the DMV until we talk. Find the correct VIN on the frame. There's a lot of 59 guys to guide you.  Email me directly at bobscads@comcast.net.Include your phone #.
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

bcroe

I have an 81 which has a very difficult VIN to read, was that letter an
M or an N?  After decades I found some factory paperwork that revealed
it was registered wrong.  Next opportunity to renew I sent in a correction,
but they did not correct it, did nothing.  I gave up, it is still wrong. 

Bruce Roe

chrisntam

The folks at the DMV get paid to move paper & people, often not caring about details.  When the soops (supervisors) stop barking at you, then you can take the time to care about details.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Lexi

Further to my last post, the inclusion of the VIN on the top side of the rear frame area that I have seen were on older Caddies with the "box and X" frame. In 1957 Cadillac changed their frame design, so from that point on I am unsure whether the practice of including the VIN in the rear frame area continued. Perhaps a '59 owner can comment. Clay/Lexi

chrisntam

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on August 21, 2021, 04:59:44 PM
Hi,
I can probably help. DON'T go to the DMV until we talk. Find the correct VIN on the frame. There's a lot of 59 guys to guide you.  Email me directly at bobscads@comcasr.net.Include your phone #.
Thanks, Bob

Bob's email prolly ends in "comcast.net" not comcasr.net.

Let's hope Bob confirms.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hey Chis,
Thanks for spell checking.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If the car was properly assigned a new VIN# by a state administered DMV, that's the VIN you're probably stuck with.

The VIN is stamped on the top of the driver's side frame rail between the radiator support collar and the upper A-arm. Will probably have to lightly sand down to see.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

s.wood

I found the VIN and now have a clear title.