News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado Hydroboost

Started by MIKE2CADDIES, March 22, 2023, 01:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKE2CADDIES

My hydroboost on my 1976 Biarritz with 9000 original miles was rebuilt because it was leaking.The brakes were working fine and just had the leak.  When the mechanic reinstalled it he did not flush and bleed the power steering system; replace the fluid or change the p/s filter. The booster was completely rebuilt and tested before it was shipped. The booster failed and the brake pedal would not come back up. It was sent back to the rebuilder who said the spooler valve seized. When it was disassembled he found decomposed rubber mixed with sludge between the lands of the spooler valve and explained this was an impediment to the free movement of the valve and caused the pedal delay. It is my understanding that the power steering system should be flushed and bled and the p/s filter changed when taking out and reinstalling the booster because you are disturbing the system and sediment can get stirred up and the first part of the booster to be affected would be the spooler valve. The mechanic said it is impossible for a 9000 mile car ( mind you it is 47 years old ) to have sediment in the power steering system and it is not necessary to flush, bleed and change the p/s filter when r/r the booster and the fact that it was working before it was sent for a complete rebuild proved there was no sediment in the power steering system. The mechanic was also not aware there was a power steering filter. Am I wrong?

TJ Hopland

The rubber likely came from a internal failure that is starting of a hose so I would think you would want to replace the hoses before you put it back together or you will be doing it all again.   

Sounds like the mechanic is just making stuff up to try and shift the blame for either not doing a flush or not recommending it be done.

Someone else would have to confirm but I don't think a 76 would have had a filter.  I don't think its very common to have filters, I have worked on a lot of stuff with hydroboosts and never seen a factory filter.  Cadillac used em in the later 80's some models.  The hydroboost came out in 74 so it was fairly new so maybe they were being safe?

Filters on a hydraulic system are usually on the suction side of the pump.  You can't really have one on the high pressure side.  You also have to be very careful to put one on the return side but that is where Cadillac did it in the 80's.  If it was to clog and doesn't have some fancy bypass system it could turn what was supposed to be a low pressure side of the system into high pressure.  They would have had to design a different pump and reservoir system to put a filter on the suction side. 

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason