News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Restoring a 1949 Series 62 Cadillac

Started by WagstaffCaddy1949, August 08, 2022, 08:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WagstaffCaddy1949

Hello Everyone,

I am new here and am looking into restoring my grandfathers Cadillac for him, that was his grandfathers. I figure what better place to get an idea for my options than right here. I haven't had a chance to dig through the forum quite yet so bear with me if the questions are obvious.

How hard are parts to come by? The engine ran well but has sat since 1967 so it will probably need quite some love. The transmission was starting to slip so it will need addressed. Are they easy enough to rebuild or am I looking at needing to swap in newer components to make it work?

For those who have restored one from the 40's to 50's what is a good guesstimate in cost to rebuild motor and transmission? I'm looking into selling my motorcycle to get it going. My grandfather is running out of years and he deserves to see this car on the road again at least one more time.

Any advice is appreciated. Sorry for the scatterbrained post. Just need to get myself started somewhere. I do plan to surf the forum and read into a lot more. Thank you in advance for any comments.

Joe Jensen

I would suggest you work with what you have rather than trying to transplant modern power into an old Cadillac.  It takes a lot of skill to custom fabricate what is need to put a modern engine and transmission into a '49.  I doubt there are any kits you can buy.

If you are mechanically inclined you can rebuild the transmission.  There are specialty tools needed to set the bands, check end-float and the right snap ring plyers make the job easier.  I rebuilt mine a couple years ago.  I was able to borrow the needed tools from another member.

Just don't get in a hurry working on these old cars.  People on this forum will help you if you have questions along the way.  You will make mistakes but that is part of the learning process.

I would recommend Fatsco for the transmission rebuild kit (I think they are in New Jersey).

I would start with getting the engine running.  There are many posts in the forum about what should be done prior to an engine being started that has sat for many years.  It is easy to search the forum.

Please don't just put gas in it and try to start, you could cause damage.

If you haven't already, please join the club.  You will gain access to a wealth of information and interesting articles in the Self-Starter.

You are just starting a journey that can be very fulfilling as you turn a non-operable classic into something that can be driven, while reminding those who lived in that era of some great times and memories from times past.

If you want to discuss more, please PM me and we can try to connect via phone.

Best of luck!
Joe

Jay Friedman

With the exception of some body parts, parts for a '49 Cadillac are relatively plentiful. As Joe Jensen mentioned, join the club and you'll find there are plenty of knowledgeable members who can help you. 

What body style is the car?
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

fishnjim

To address your cost ?, expect a complete trans overhaul to be in the $2-3000+ range and the motor, if it's not ruined, complete overhaul will be in the $5-6000 range or less depending what has to be done.  Estimate based on the mileage.  Anything over 50000 miles, sitting for so long and probably not a good sign.  Also depends why it was sitting?  Maybe the family has more info.   

The body is another story.   Ballpark figures without parts;  bodywork 200-2000 hours. Paint $3-15000.  Interior $5-10000. The other mechanicals aren't that bad if you can do yourself.   Electrical - rewire; $1-3000. Chrome $5-10000.
Without knowing any other info, condition, model, etc. these numbers a just rough order of magnitude estimate = -25% - +75%.  And depend a lot on what level of restoration you're seeking.  From get a # 4+ car running, to taking a #2 and making it show quality.  1-10 CAAAR scale

CadillacFanBob

@fishnjim that is a great assessment of information and cost to get an idea on the project on hand, and making a decision to go forward with the project, especially without more information and photos to base a decision on, very good starting point.

Bob
Frankfort, Illinois

WagstaffCaddy1949

I appreciate all this info. I live in Salt Lake and the car is in St. George. I'm going to try to make it down there in the next week and get some pictures and a better idea of what I'm working with. I am fairly mechanically inclined and have always worked on cars including electrical work (I used to be quite the audiophile). The main goal for me will be mechanical first. Once it runs and can be driven then I'll move onto body and interior work. Fingers crossed the body is in decent shape, but I haven't seen the car in quite a few years. I'll update with pics when I get them.

jaxops

Good luck.  Like the forum members said- get the basics first. Engine cleaned out, tuned, and running; transmission; then safety items brakes, shocks, tires.  Once it isn't leaking coolant, oil, gas, brake fluid, or anything else, worry about the body. On my '49 limousine, windows were the next priority since none of them worked.  I went 12v electric and replaced the whole innards because the hydraulics were bad everywhere and leaked all over the place. I have a series of photos and comments on the Restoration sub-site on this forum.

Feel free to ask as you get into it. 

Mark M
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

WagstaffCaddy1949

Here is a handful of pictures. Couldn't get much in the 15 minutes I had on the way home. The body for the most part seems solid with just surface rust. There was rust through under the doors, so it will need some welding for sure. Who knows if that means the floor is gone or not. Also didn't get to pop the hood. Let me know what you guys think. The interior is completely destroyed.