News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1942 Vacuum “windows”?

Started by V63, August 18, 2022, 12:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V63

I met someone today with a custom (Durham?) 1942 series 75 ...with a (now 'non working') division but originally a power "division" that I suspect must be vacuum controlled?
I know there were briefly offered vacuum powered convertible tops. He reported there was a switch in back labeled raise and lower. The car has a padded top and tiny rear window, blind quarters with leather drivers compartment...fixed seat. Grey wool rear. Side windows are crankers

Production date Oct 1941

Any thoughts?

harry s

Anything is possible especially with a custom body car. The '41 Cadillacs with  division window were electric. The motor was basically the same as a two direction heater motor which runs a cable and pulley mechanism to operate the window. There is an information sheet for the system which I can't find at the moment.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

V63

Ok, that's probably the answer then. Electric. Thank you!

Jeff Hansen

Cadillac did make a model as you describe - series 7533F.  Yes, division windows in 1942 were electrically powered as Harry described.  All door windows were crankers.

Were you able to get a photo?
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

V63

F27333C5-498B-4E67-A140-C7E3CA2034F8.jpeg The owner did not seem to think it was electric??? But then he said he did not know. I offered if it was not hydroelectric or electric the only other option would be vacuum. I'm surprised that I actually had some experience with a vacuum power top and this example actually worked which really amazed me ! Not the best of ideas however.

This particular 1942 is or will be offered for sale in the NE, NYC/NJ if I understood correct.

AMAZINGLY I do know of a non formal 1942 also available in Colorado. DK green $29,999 image attached