My new 59 Fleetwood

Started by Claudio, November 14, 2022, 06:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claudio

I just got a 59 Fleetwood..... what should I be looking at when I check it over.....?? What options/features does it have....??
Thank you 1C24578C-55AC-4B29-9D54-BAF6FC4B2764.jpeg

Jw4

Quote from: Claudio on November 14, 2022, 06:34:29 PMWhat should I be looking at when I check it over.....??
Would, sort of, expect a question like that before you get the car... Unless it was inherited, etc.  ;D
How familiar are you with auto mechanics in general? What are you planning to do with it?
Ivan Beliaev

David Greenburg

You need to tell us what options it has. The cowl tag under the hood will tell you what options it had originally. Power windows, vent windows and 2-way power seat were standard on the Fleetwood, although most had the 6 way seat. The automatic headlight dimmer was a pretty common option, and of course a/c was popular. The more unusual options would be air suspension and the Eldorado "Q" engine with 3x2 carbs. I had one of these for many years.  They're great cars.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Claudio

I'm a Pontiac guy..... redoing my 69 firebird and it's on my rotisserie.... I'm a mechanic 👨�🔧 by trade but I'm new to Cadillac..... I plan on daily driving it.... I now have a 59 Fleetwood.......when I start tinkering with it what should I be looking 👀 for....? common issues....?? What were the available options/features for a 59 Cadillac...? Specifically a Fleetwood...?? the interior is from a 60 Cadillac so I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to have as this is not a Fleetwood interior at least that's what I'm being told... although it is pretty nice..... lol 😝.....
It has pw pseat plock pvent driver mirror with door control
Vents and locks not working.... Radio makes noise but no music....? Antenna also doesn't work.....some kind of pod on the dash....missing some dome lights from inside the roof.... Door panel lights in wrong spot....( 60 vs 59 door panels ...?? ) I've been reading a Fleetwood is on the top of the list...?? ( next to the Eldorado....? ) Non a/c car.... 390 is also from a 60.....my plan is to make it relatively reliable so I can daily drive it.....
Thank you

Claudio

Quote from: Jw4 on November 14, 2022, 07:11:59 PMWould, sort of, expect a question like that before you get the car... Unless it was inherited, etc.  ;D
How familiar are you with auto mechanics in general? What are you planning to do with it?

I'm all in and since I'm new to Cadillac I'm trying to find out what to check now that I'm a Cadillac guy...... I'm a mechanic so I'm not afraid 😳 of it yet... lol 😝..... I'm looking forward to daily driving it.....
Thanks

fishnjim

Like I tell everyone, start with the individual systems; fuel, ignition, electrical, etc. and check each one out and repair as needed before any thought of driving daily.  Only way to know with confidence that it'll perform.  Otherwise, you get in the million questions scenario.  Get yourself a shop manual and part list.   Brakes are always a good place to start.   No way to tell over the internet, as to the car's history, etc.   How it was cared for by POs.   Even cream puffs can go rancid over time/ownership.
There's plenty of '59 parts, as a lot were made (and some in repro), but they've also been hoarded over the years, so have to find your sources.

CadillacFanBob

Quote from: Claudio on November 17, 2022, 08:33:41 AMI'm all in and since I'm new to Cadillac I'm trying to find out what to check now that I'm a Cadillac guy...... I'm a mechanic so I'm not afraid 😳 of it yet... lol 😝..... I'm looking forward to daily driving it.....
Thanks

You are on the correct track being a mechanic, DON'T be afraid of anything on your new/old car, get a factory shop manual first and then study the manual before you start on a type of repair and you will be fine, if questions come up this is a GREAT forum to ask and gather information with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to help. Also join the Cadillac & laSalle Club, a great Self-Starter magazine and information for what you will be looking for to repair and to source parts needed.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Bob
Frankfort, Illinois

Jw4

If you just got the car and are planning to driving it daily, make sure that it is safe to drive:
1) check and redo the brakes
2) check suspension + steering, to make sure nothing is loose, etc.
3) check the fuel lines, so that you don;t catch fire
4) check the wheels and tires
5) check the frame/body for any corrosion compromising the structural integrity.
6) change all fluids, and make sure it does not overheat.

The rest will come as you start driving it, and notice more problems.
Also, as I am sure you already know, the metal fatigues with age. Do not attempt to drive like you are on a race track. While a new car might be able to sustain some abuse, it is not uncommon for something like an axle shaft or a steering rod to snap, out of nowhere, on older cars.
Ivan Beliaev

jwwseville60

I have a 59 flat top. You will like this project!
I would Boroscope the fuel tank for sure. You dont want that gunk and rust clogging lines.

Tires last 10 years only.
Return line and electric fuel pump.

I vote you paint it dark blue with a red interior.

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper
1961 CDV, gold
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black

Claudio

Quote from: jwwseville60 on November 28, 2022, 10:13:11 AMI have a 59 flat top. You will like this project!
I would Boroscope the fuel tank for sure. You dont want that gunk and rust clogging lines.

Tires last 10 years only.
Return line and electric fuel pump.

I vote you paint it dark blue with a red interior.

I'm actually going to replace the tank....sender....fuel pump and filter assembly
Blue...? Maybe 🤔.... I was thinking 🧐 about black primer with polished chrome.....?? For now I'm leaving it as is......
Pictures and details on yours....?
Thanks

MeToo

Congratulations, '59 was when the fins were at the largest. Main thing I'd be concerned is rust, also try to add modern 3 point seatbelts if possible.

Smoothscoop

Quote from: Jw4 on November 14, 2022, 07:11:59 PMWould, sort of, expect a question like that before you get the car... Unless it was inherited, etc.  ;D

Haha my thoughts exactly. I go through a vague sort of OCD anxiety attack considering everything before I buy.

billmorrow

Quote from: Claudio on December 01, 2022, 02:10:18 AMI'm actually going to replace the tank....sender....fuel pump and filter assembly
Blue...? Maybe 🤔.... I was thinking 🧐 about black primer with polished chrome.....?? For now I'm leaving it as is......
Pictures and details on yours....?
Thanks
i replaced the fuel tank on my convertible just because..
mechanic said old tank was clean and perfect..
fuel gauge gasket was not installed correctly..
i retained the old tank..
you are welcome to it, free, for the shipping cost.. just PM me.. i am located in georgia..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~

Claudio

Quote from: billmorrow on December 05, 2022, 04:48:29 PMi replaced the fuel tank on my convertible just because..
mechanic said old tank was clean and perfect..
fuel gauge gasket was not installed correctly..
i retained the old tank..
you are welcome to it, free, for the shipping cost.. just PM me.. i am located in georgia..

I just got a new tank and sender and straps.....right now I'm just trying to not destroy the car.... Lol 😝.... New straps will not stay in place...??? They keep popping out of the anchor end...???? I even tried to use the original strap and it did the same thing... tank is in the right spot and nothing is in the way... I even bent the edges of the tank up... so now I don't know what to do to fix it....????? Rrrrrrrr lol 😝
What other 59 parts do you have...??

billmorrow

Quote from: Claudio on December 05, 2022, 06:28:58 PMI just got a new tank and sender and straps.....right now I'm just trying to not destroy the car.... Lol 😝.... New straps will not stay in place...??? They keep popping out of the anchor end...???? I even tried to use the original strap and it did the same thing... tank is in the right spot and nothing is in the way... I even bent the edges of the tank up... so now I don't know what to do to fix it....????? Rrrrrrrr lol 😝
What other 59 parts do you have...??
no spares, just "OH-SHIT" stuff like a few basic tools, all the fluids and an anchor with chain in case the brakes go pfttt.. :-)
well, not really the anchor..
i owned, for 20+ years a 59 series 75 imperial formal (pix upon request) and had the foresight to buy a spare dash pad from a wrecked funeral coach and kept it in the trunk for near the entire 20+ years.. the fellow i sold that car to was very pleased to get that.. wish i still had that car..
bore scope is a good idea..
compression check..
look at the brake cylinders for wetness and replace as needed.. rock auto has new brake cylinders..
be careful of the horn ring, don't hammer on it when honking another driver..
that interior is no where nearnoriginal..
please protect the body from all that rust..
usual rust spot is rocker panel just aft of the front wheels..
thats about it for now..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~