News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1973 Coupe deVille need help finding driveshaft

Started by cadillac73, April 20, 2019, 09:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac73

Hello all!

I’m looking for a remanufactured driveshaft for my ‘73 Coupe deVille. Can anyone recommend a reputable online source?  Or a local source near Augusta, Maine?

Thanks
Catherine
Catherine Smith "Cat"
Pittston, ME  USA

1973 Coupe deVille 472
"Solid Gold"

Scot Minesinger

Your best bet is good used, not sure they make reproductions.  This may be same for 1971 thru 74 not sure, consult parts book.  Jeff of Willington CA in CT is one of the closer vendors, failing that maybe USA Parts in WV.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Are you missing yours completely?

If you have one that simply required replacement of the Universal/Cardan Joints, then any mechanic could perform the tasks.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

What exactly has happened to your driveshaft, Catherine?  As Bruce pointed out, if just parts are needed like the U-joints, they are readily available at an auto parts store like NAPA or through Rock Auto and any mechanic can replace them.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

If you have something even a bent or rusted through one to bring to a shop they can usually repair them.   Look for a 4x4 shop with a bunch of jacked up 70's square body trucks in the lot.   The 70's and earlier 80's GM trucks used the same double U joint setup so they are used to working with them.  May not be the same part number joint but same design and service process. 

Bent and damaged tubes are no problem for these shops.  They keep the raw tubing on hand and can cut your ends off and weld them on new tube then balance the whole works and you will be good to go. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillac73

I’m not exactly sure what’s wrong with it. Will follow up with mechanic and let you know. Thanks for the info, though.

C
Catherine Smith "Cat"
Pittston, ME  USA

1973 Coupe deVille 472
"Solid Gold"

Scot Minesinger

So your drive shaft is not missing, it might be in need of repair.  There are many shops that should be able to rebuild it, balance it, or correct what is mechanically deficient.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty