News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Oil filter canister lines for a 1955

Started by Bob Kielar, March 16, 2023, 04:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kielar

Some of you have read my post Misfiring on the way back from Grand Nationals.
I have had to replace the engine because of unrepairable cracks in the block. My original engine is a later serial number then my replacement engine both are 1955. My question is the original engine has a fitting on the front of the block that I think is the return line bottom fitting on the oil filter canister-picture one. The replacement engine does not have this fitting- picture three. They both have the upper fitting in picture two. Can someone please tell me where both feed and return lines go on the block and canister for the early serial number that is my replacement engine?

Thanks,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

fishnjim

Generally if there's an old pipe plug in it, it's not the oil return and since it's the same motor, apparently, then by deduction that's not the location.  Can't go where's there's no hole?
It should be open for a (1/8"?) tube fitting, or have the line/fitting installed.
You can mock the new motor back up(install bracket, line, & reservoir) and see where the line goes. 
I'd have to research the '55s, so best left to you or someone w/ '55.
If you get the specifications manual or maybe a parts list, they probably have a engine detailed for part numbers.

Bob Kielar

Thanks for the reply. I did not get the oil canister or lines for my replacement engine I was going to use the system from the original engine. I'm thinking of reaching out to the person I bought the engine from and see if he has the canister and lines. Even a picture of the lines would be helpful.
Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Lexi

Will check my parts list and see if there is a diagram, for you. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Bob,
Out of curiosity I went out and checked my 55 parts car, but unfortunately it's got the same thing as your old engine, so no help there. I don't know anyone else near me that I could look at their car for what you need.
On the other hand, if I have this right, your feed line to the filter is connected at the front of the valley near the left head, and the return is not fed back into an oil gallery, but just into the crankcase at a convenient location.
  You could probably just tap into a location that would be easier to get at that would work just as well. Maybe even the top or side of the timing cover to add to the lubrication of the chain. Just a thought.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Bob Kielar

Thanks for the replies. While looking at the two spare engines I have at home the older serial number engine is like my replacement engine. I noticed where the oil pressure switch is mounted the other threaded hole is open maybe for a return line or feed line to the canister- left picture. The other engine I have has an earlier serial number like my original engine and that threaded hole has a pipe plug in it-right picture. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

V63

I believe the extra port at the sending unit was simply a service port for checking oil pressure with a gauge for service issues. It should simply have a plug in it.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I don't know if you still need this, but here is our 55.
Jeff R20220611_145022.jpg
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

V63

It seems there are two variations on the return line in 1955, the early version drained onto the fuel pump
Lever. the later version has the tap in FRONT of the block which design lasted until the spin on was adapted.

Makes you wonder why the change?

Lexi

Hello Bob. I checked my 1956 MPL and there is a diagram of the engine assembly as viewed from the RH side. This was said to be good for 1952 - 1955. I can only see the bottom line in the image. I also copied a section that notes this line as it contains a notation for different part #s for 1955 depending on engine numbers. While not providing a definitive answer to your question, hope these less than perfect pics provide answers to some of this puzzle for you. I assume you have a '55 shop manual so I did not look there, (if not, I have one I can reference for you). Clay/Lexi

Edit: As diagram said good for 1952 -1955, (and added was "typical" for 1956), there are bound to be things that do not agree 100% with your engine. I know that my '56 "typical" engine does not entirely agree with this diagram either. Perhaps someone with a 1952 - 1954 car can also chime in.

Burt6666

The fitting you are pointing to is return oil line on my 57 engine...hope this helps.

Bob Kielar

Mystery solved! Thank you everyone for the replies Art Gardner emailed me saying that some engines had the return line going to the filler tube. Then William Link had a friend take pictures and even a video of where the lines went. Lexi your information was great. Jeff the picture is perfect easy to see where the lines are run and connected. So to sum things up the feed line comes from the valley front left side for all 55 engines. The return line if you do not have the fitting on the front left side of the block goes to the oil filler tube. Wow this forum is amazing!
Thank you again much appreciated.
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Lexi

Another mystery solved and what is left of my brain cells actually learned something! Clay/Lexi