News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

air conditioning .. are there differences in a 1955 comapred to a 56

Started by Flying Finn, March 13, 2023, 12:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Gomez

Rick,

Quote from: Cadman-iac on March 20, 2023, 12:57:53 PMOf the 3 I have, I  ruined one while trying to unsolder the heating wire from the end of the tube before I realized that they crimped them on with a sleeve and only soldered that to keep it in place.

Well my friend same here, I made the same "operator error" on the capillary tube on my side, just a learning curve.  :(

Quote from: Cadman-iac on March 20, 2023, 12:57:53 PMIt's been a long time since I actually looked at the AC control on my 56, but the rheostats that I was referring to are the ones for the blower motors. I've already wired the compressor to use a relay, since it's just a simple on/off, but the blowers require a variable voltage, unless you just want to run them on high constantly. The load on the blower rheostats is what I was trying to relieve with a relay, but I can't see how you can get there from here. I've got several of the blower switches with rheostats, and a couple of them are burnt out. It's possible that it was due to a bad motor, but I didn't want to risk ruining a switch due to an overload. They aren't making any more of them you know.
I've rebuilt all the blower motors I've got to be sure that they don't cause any problems, but they will still draw a good deal of current.

Yes these motor rheostats do get "HOT" if the motors are not in good condition and they do go open with age and usage as well as the wiper scrapes the wire.

I did found two of these rheostats (a long time back) although not the same style but they would do if need be, the resistance is around 3 ohms with the control fully mesh.

Quote from: Cadman-iac on March 20, 2023, 12:57:53 PMI find it interesting that you were able to locate and use a different capillary tube assembly for your temperature sensor.

Yes the replacement thermostat was very close to the OEM one, the different was the relay contacts and the length of the capillary tube (twice longer on the replacement). From memory I had to file the tip end on the capillary (the bulb end that presses on the contacts) to make it fit on the OEM one.

Quote from: Cadman-iac on March 20, 2023, 12:57:53 PMWhere were you able to locate that 1mm fiberglass covering for your wire?

I got them from an electronic vendor at AliExpress, I still have a few strands left about 39" in length each, if you need some just ping me and send $1,000,000 for the S&H cost.  ;D
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Flying Finn

This forum is great ..
A lot of gentlemen willing to give great advice.
After reading all the responses to my technical a/c questions and  my wanted posting I have decided
to not install a/c in my 56 convertible .. not unless i found most of the parts from a convertible.
Thanks, Jaan

Cadman-iac

Hi Jose,
Do you take bitcoin? Lol!! 
I don't want to use up your last bit of insulation, if I can get some from this AliExpress. I'll check them out.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to have ruined a capillary tube trying this. I almost didn't want to admit that, but figured what the heck, lol!! Especially if it keeps someone else from making the same mistakes.

I'm guessing that you got the blower switches from Evans Products, looking at the bag laying next to it there.
   I'd have to go out and look through my boxes of stuff to know how many switches I actually have now, I can't remember, it's been too long since I last worked on this stuff.
  If I recall correctly, I think the rheostat wire may be replaceable by using some  Plaster of Paris to insulate it and dissipate the heat generated by it.
  I've done this for a headlight switch, using the wire from a newer switch as the replacement. Of course the amperage going through it wasn't nearly as high as the blower switches, but the principle is the same. (Right) lol!

Thank you for all your help and knowledge Jose, I really appreciate it.
    Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Flying Finn on March 21, 2023, 11:22:22 AMThis forum is great ..
A lot of gentlemen willing to give great advice.
After reading all the responses to my technical a/c questions and  my wanted posting I have decided
to not install a/c in my 56 convertible .. not unless i found most of the parts from a convertible.
Thanks, Jaan

Jaan,
I didn't want to scare you off from trying this, just wanted to let you know what you are looking at for obstacles. Unfortunately they are big, since you had to pick the rarest one to upgrade.
Don't give up, but do look at all angles and options.

I've bought 2 cars for parts for my 56 coupe, and both were useful, but the parts I bought both of them for specifically, turned out not to fit after all. I still don't regret buying them though. They have proven very valuable for other parts.
The most embarrassing one was the 55 Cadillac I bought thinking that the front fenders were interchangeable. My 56 was at home and the 55 was 30 miles away, with only my memory to co.pare the two, and only $100 bucks, so how bad a deal could it be, right? Turns out it was a great deal, not only for me, but for a few others as well.
Then there was the 56 Sedan Deville for the vent windows. Again, my car at home, this one 20 miles away. Well, after much observation and comparisons, I found that the vent windows were not the same. But the car was still very much worth the investment.
At the time I bought them, I had no idea about this forum, but I don't regret either purchase.
At least you had the foresight to make inquiries here about what you wanted to do, and got some good advice before you made a decision that might have resulted in damage to your car that might prove hard to repair.
I'm glad we all were able to help you out.
  Good luck with your project, I hope you can find what you need to complete it.

Rick
CLC# 32373

J. Gomez

Rick,

Quote from: Cadman-iac on March 21, 2023, 11:58:21 AMI don't want to use up your last bit of insulation, if I can get some from this AliExpress. I'll check them out.

By the time these will get use on my side it will be around year 2300 so if you want to wait by them they will double in price.  ;D

Quote from: Cadman-iac on March 21, 2023, 11:58:21 AMI'm guessing that you got the blower switches from Evans Products, looking at the bag laying next to it there.
   I'd have to go out and look through my boxes of stuff to know how many switches I actually have now, I can't remember, it's been too long since I last worked on this stuff.
  If I recall correctly, I think the rheostat wire may be replaceable by using some  Plaster of Paris to insulate it and dissipate the heat generated by it.
  I've done this for a headlight switch, using the wire from a newer switch as the replacement. Of course the amperage going through it wasn't nearly as high as the blower switches, but the principle is the same. (Right) lol!

Thank you for all your help and knowledge Jose, I really appreciate it.
    Rick

Yes I got the rheostat from an eBay seller way back just in case the ones on my spares and working unit would require replacement, lucky they were all fine, now they are just in the storage bin.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadman-iac

Quote from: J. Gomez on March 21, 2023, 12:37:50 PMRick,

By the time these will get use on my side it will be around year 2300 so if you want to wait by them they will double in price.  ;D

Hi Jose,

PM sent.  Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Quote from: Cadman-iac on March 21, 2023, 12:18:58 PMI still don't regret buying them though. They have proven very valuable for other parts.
...Turns out it was a great deal, not only for me, but for a few others as well.
Rick

It was Rick who saved Lexi by supplying me with the cross member from his '55 parts car, which was needed to replace the broken one in my car, (as discussed in another thread). Thank you Cadman-iac! Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: J. Gomez on March 21, 2023, 12:37:50 PMRick,

Hey Jose,

I did send you a PM  the other day, but I missed the message that your mailbox was full. I guess it just deleted my message at that point. I only know this because I just tried again, but this time I actually saw that message.
 Let me know when you delete a few to make room for mine.
 Thanks, Rick
CLC# 32373

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Lexi on March 26, 2023, 07:27:51 PMIt was Rick who saved Lexi by supplying me with the cross member from his '55 parts car, which was needed to replace the broken one in my car, (as discussed in another thread). Thank you Cadman-iac! Clay/Lexi

Hi Clay,

As always, my pleasure, glad to be able to help.
 Thanks for the shout out.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi