News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"Shasta", my '49 Club Coupe

Started by Thomas Bredahl, December 15, 2012, 09:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Bredahl

At long last, it's time to do a much needed overhaul of my 1949 Club Coupe Series 62

This will be a chassis restoration only, so the body will be put aside, as is, for later reassembly to make the car look it's normal self again.

Everything on the chassis will be restored:

Rear axle - sandblasting, paint, fresh pumpkin, seals, bearings.

Engine/gearbox - complete overhaul, as required.

Front end - complete overhaul.

Frame - sandblasting and painting.

This will be a daunting task, as it will have to be finished by mid-summer of 2013, in time for inspection.
I started purchasing parts for this restoration, several years ago and a number of guys from this club has been so kind, as to help a foreign fella like me, in this venture.

A big thank you, to Jeff Maltby for help in every imaginable way, including the pristine pumpkin for the rear axle!!
Also a gratefull smile to Ken Ulrich, who was kind enough to send me a set of free cores for my front shock rebuild (just sad that they got stolen in the warehouse at the port of LA!!)
Nothing else to do but get back up on the "horse" and start buying more parts to get the job done!

But who ever said that it would be easy to own and restore one of these beauties, here in little old Denmark  ;)

I will try to update this thread, as I come along, but be patient ;-)

Thomas
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

Front fenders are off...
Nice to see rust free body parts!
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

A. Amman #15293

That looks like a very clean, solid, original car to be working on.  Looking forward to seeing it progress!

What kind of motorcyle do you have in the background?

Anthony #15293

Thomas Bredahl

Quote from: A. Amman #15293 on December 15, 2012, 07:34:28 PM
That looks like a very clean, solid, original car to be working on.  Looking forward to seeing it progress!

What kind of motorcyle do you have in the background?

Anthony #15293

It really is solid and clean Anthony  ;)

The motorcycle is my Harley WLC 1942!
Great bike  :D
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

Ok guys, so I encountered a lot of other things in life requiring my time, thus leaving my Cadillac untouched for the last couple of years.

This winter is another matter though, not that I have that much spare time, but after a 5 year stand-still period I really have to drive her again soon!!

As of now, the body is off the frame and the drivetrain is out. Gearbox have been left at a knowledgable shop for a light overhaul and the engine will be taken apart tomorrow and taken to a shop next week.

Next step will be to have the chassis and all its parts blasted and painted, before I can start putting it back together with new parts.
Just letting you know that even if things are hard to do over here ;-) it will still get done and put back on the roads, where it belongs

Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

James Landi

Shasta is getting sooo much love... she's a lucky gal!  Keep those pictures coming... inspirational

Thomas Bredahl

Thank you James  :)
I will post about my progress as time allows...... I will be hard pressed to finish before the season starts, but she needs to get on the road again soon!
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

Not the speediest of restorations, I know, but life constantly gets in the way of my progress  ;)

I just picked up my chassis from the painters..... woohoo!!
Ordering a "truckload" of parts from the US, so I can begin assembling..... hopefully before Christmas
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Jeff Maltby 4194

Looking Great JR. Did you buy the engine rebuild kit yet ?

SR
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Thomas Bredahl

Yes SR :)

Everything is on its way across the pond, so I should be able to get things going again.

I just received my steering wheel from Joe Cutler....thanks Joe!! Looks amazing and will be a great addition to my old gal :)

I am also preparing for the new pumpkin (thank you SR.... still means the world to me) to go in my rear axle, along with new seals and bearings that i bought in Texas, back in 2008.

The gearbox "snout" was damaged back in 2006 when I replaced the rear seal, so a very good friend of mine machined the piece and replaced the damaged collar and dust shield.
Great work!

Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

jyinger

I love watching your progress Thomas.  Two years ago I completed a frame-off restoration of Lily, my 1949 Fleetwood.  And we just completed a frame-off restoration of Buttercup, my 1949 Coupe DeVille.  But unlike you I've had the guys at my local shop--Doug's Rods and Classics--do most of the work.  I have so much admiration for you doing most of the work yourself!

I'll attach a coupe of photos of Lily and Buttercup.

Jon Yinger  clc#26643

1949 Fleetwood (2)
1949 Coupe DeVille (2)
1949 Convertible (we're just starting her restoration)
1952 Fleetwood--easy restoration--I bought her with just 9,000 original miles
1958 Eldorado Brougham--right  now she's a driver; complete restoration in a year or so

Jon Yinger

Thomas Bredahl

Thank you so much Jon! Those are beautiful 49's, no matter who restored them!
I definitely feel the difference in restoring a car like this as opposed to prior projects I have done. Bigger, more expensive, more difficulty in getting spares etc etc.
Besides that, it has been almost 10 years since my last restoration. Still enjoying the work though and am so looking forward to having her on the road again!!
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

Removed the rear fenders tonight and was pleasantly surprised! The rust is a lot less than I had feared. The fender bottoms (under the gravel shield) will be the hardest to reproduce but I look forward to the job at hand.

Not bad for a 66 year old car  :D

Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

The progress is still going on behind the "curtains" ;)

I have been doing a lot of the sheet metal repairs to the inner fender wells and I finally got the rest of the parts from Kanter...... In about two weeks time, I will have a freshly rebuilt engine and gearbox, to fit between the frame rails of my goddess :D

A of picture of the cleaned fender well before cutting...

Ongoing cutting, forming, beating, bending and welding in new sheet metal...

The other side had some rust damage to the body support/mount, so I fabricated a new one as exact as I could.
The rest of the repair is ongoing and will be finished for paint within the next couple of weeks

Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

59-in-pieces

Thomas,
I am particularly impressed that you are doing the bulk of the work yourself - ADA-BOY - a guy after my own heart.
In addition, after looking at the initial posting date and today's posting - about 3 1/2 ish years have past.
And in my book, your tenacity is more eligible for praise - many start and many give up, but not you - another ADA-BOY to add to the first.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Thomas Bredahl

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on March 20, 2016, 12:56:49 PM
Thomas,
I am particularly impressed that you are doing the bulk of the work yourself - ADA-BOY - a guy after my own heart.
In addition, after looking at the initial posting date and today's posting - about 3 1/2 ish years have past.
And in my book, your tenacity is more eligible for praise - many start and many give up, but not you - another ADA-BOY to add to the first.
Have fun,
Steve B.

Thank you Steve!

I have done several restorations in my life already, but time is relative and a lot of factors come into play, trying to complete a job like this.
I know this much though...... this Cadillac and the way it came into my life, means that we will be companions for the rest of my life.
That is why I undergo a lengthy restoration of this character and why I want to do most of the work myself.
In previous restorations, I have done all of the work including engine, gearbox, bodywork, paintwork and interior myself........ but family life and a business of my own, simply does not allow for it and since I have already tried it, it means less to actually accomplish it...... if you know what I mean ;)

This has been a long time coming and I long to be behind the wheel of this baby! I want her to go down the roads like a Cadillac should and the spice of doing it on bias plys, just make it all the more real, to me.

Hopefully, by the end of may, Shasta and I are cruising on the two lane black tops ;-)
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

I am still moving along in this restoration, but time is scarce and whatever time I have is concentrated on the car itself.

I finally finished sanding down the underside og the body and got it primered.

After all the dusty work was done I could get on to the part that I both dreaded and looked forward to. Repairing the rear fenders under the gravel shields..... something that I have learned, is a problem on almost all Cadillacs of these years.

Did the repair piece in two separate pieces, with the lip for the fender skirt as a third piece.

And here I am, cutting up the left side rear fender for the exact same repair :-)

Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

N Kahn

59-in-pieces

Thomas,
Take a look in the dictionary under "labor of love" and you will see yourself working.
Your efforts should be a great inspiration to us all in this hobby.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher