News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Broken Window (1959 Series 62 Convertible)

Started by Coupe Deville, July 18, 2013, 12:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. I have a 1959 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible. I was just about to wash it today. The top was down, I rolled all four windows up and i was about to begin but i had to grab something out of the the car and i opened the drivers door and the weather stripping from the rear quarter window stuck to the drivers window. It happened really fast and I heard a crack and I closed my eyes. I broke the window. So i want to know if i did something wrong or if the weather stipping sometimes get stuck like this? The passanger side door does this to but thankfully it hasn't broken. So i need a replacement now. I will problem put something on the parts wanted page. Are the rear quarter windows on the 59 Convertible interchangeable from left to right? Would new glass come with the trim or do i use my old trim? If the car came factory with E-Z eye glass would that effect the glass tint? All of the windows do seem to have a Very Small amount of pale blue in them.  Any help or advice for replacing the window would be great. Thank you
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Blade

That car doesn't worth anything anymore, throw it away!  ... just let me know where you threw it!    ;D

That's a bummer that happened, especially in a convert a new glass is hard (and pricy) to come by! Feel bad for you, if I see anything I'll let you know ...  :-[

The glass should be interchangable except they might have markings (like mine stamped 'EZ Eye tinted') and these supposed to face outside, so if you're that picky to be original (like me) I think the best is to find the correct one.

I suppose it depends how they sell them but so far all I have seen came with the trims. I also had to replace my driver side window, it was cracked, the one I bought came with all the trims. Looks pretty hard to install the trims, I think they're glued to the glass.

It is also a good idea to clean the weather stripping on the windows - or anywhere the matter of fact - regularly and put something on them that protects them. It does make a world of difference when it comes to stickiness if you clean them and 'lubricate' them regularily. I do that on my daily drivers as well. I can't believe though it would stick that much that would crack your glass!   :-\

Quentin Hall

G'day Gavin, Probably it is more likely that the adjustment "stop" on the rear window is allowing the window to raise too far.      If the  window was jambed against the door glass then it was just waiting to crack as soon as the door was opened. It is very common for the 59/60 conv rear window frame to stress/flex/ crack along the lower rail thereby allowing the frame to get out of alignment. I was always wary of over cranking the rear windows. I'd bring them up and then always back them off a touch.
       You will need to pull the window out by releasing the  pivot bolt. There is a bracket that you can add to the frame to stop it flexing but deal with the glass first.
     Most glass shops should be able to cut you a new piece. If it is tinted then you need to get 6.38 mm laminated "green". The glass is two sheets of 3mm and the laminate is the .38.   You can get a LOF stencil made by a vinyl sign cutter and then get it gently sandblasted. Don't let them stick an ugly contemporary glass standards sticker on . 
     Hope that helps.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Blade

Quentin also brought up a good point you probably also had tension on the window prior to cracking, if you haven't yet, check all your windows and adjust them for proper fit.

Coupe Deville

How do i adjust the window fit. And is the rear quarter window just a flat pice of glass if they cut it out?

would this source work? It says 1959 Cadillac Rear Quarter Window and you select the tint. Would this work. The price seems a little cheap. Thank You For the advice

http://www.classicflatglass.com/SelfItem.aspx
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Quentin Hall

G'day Gavin, That looks like a good deal for the glass. There are only two factory options for 59. Green tint or clear.
      As for the adjustment , the travel is controlled by the stop at the  upper of the rear  guide track . You will need to raise your top and sit in the back seat and contort yourself around behind . There are two philips screws that you can loosen that will allow the window stop to rise or fall. Also your window frame will have a 90 degree angle on the rear edge that this aligns with. This piece should have a rubber cover. Make one out of rubber hose if missing.
      Firstly, it is best that you get the window frame out and send a pic so that I can determine if it is bent from over cranking. It is a good idea to make up the bracket that bridges the frame into a rigid piece. We'll talk more about that once you post your pic.     
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Coupe Deville

I will take apart the window and send a few pictures as soon as i can.

59-in-pieces

Gavin,
The 59 quarter window frames are notorious for cracking because of their design and if the frame's travel is not adjusted well.
Here are a couple of pics that might be of interest, if the frames on your car are broken or cracked.
The design of the gusset is not JPL approved and it isn't pretty but it does the job to strengthen the assembly.
There is a guy in Calexico who has cast these frames in steel, if you want to replace your frames - extremely strong.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Coupe Deville

So those strong new frames won't flex or bend if there touching the door when its opened? How much do they run for?

59-in-pieces

Gavin,
They are strong.
But, even with the strength, the quarter windows must be adjusted properly to reduce stress on the frame bottom as it rotates up and meshes with the front door window.  However, it is especially important when the quarter window rotates up it meshes effortlessly with the convertible frame & weatherstripping (that's usually the killer - not the front door or weatherstripping that breaks the frame).
See PM.
Have fun,
Steve B..
S. Butcher

n2caddies

The flat glass for the rear quarter is readily available from several glass shops in Hemmings under services offered. They also will date code with the correct EZ eye logo. Caddy Daddy sells the new frames and the top curved frame pieces also. The fit is perfect and they look beautiful. I have installed these in both my convertibles. There are some adjustments in the pivot bracket to help take up the gap between the rear quarter and the front doors . Since you have the rear inside panel off I would consider replacing the inner and outer sweeps as well as the rubber seals at the front and back of the frame. Of course as it always is on these cars where do you stop? There is also the curved track that is felt lined to keep the upper frame from rattling and getting scratched. It's held in with 2 nuts at the back and the bolt in the lower B pillar . I also put a little white lithium grease on the regulator arm and motor gear and at the pivot. Having fun yet??
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Coupe Deville

Quote from: n2caddies on July 26, 2013, 01:34:17 AM
The flat glass for the rear quarter is readily available from several glass shops in Hemmings under services offered. They also will date code with the correct EZ eye logo.]

None of my other windows have date codes or EZ-Eye logos. Only the front window. It is tinted but says Pittsburg Paint And Glass(PPG) On it.

n2caddies

Hi Gavin
All the original glass would have had the. EZ eye logo and date code if so equipped PPG is an after Market brand
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Coupe Deville

Quote from: Quentin Hall on July 18, 2013, 05:22:15 PM

As for the adjustment , the travel is controlled by the stop at the  upper of the rear  guide track . You will need to raise your top and sit in the back seat and contort yourself around behind . There are two philips screws that you can loosen that will allow the window stop to rise or fall.   

Were are the two adjustment screws?

Coupe Deville

Quentin Hall

The forward pivot adjustment screws are on the top of the curved U track that the end of the window sweeps up in. So you need to go behind where the furthest rear position of the window in the up position and then look down behind. You will see. You gain access thru the top well and it is above the well drain.
If you have the window out it is a good idea to remove the U track and replace the more than likely worn out felting. I have successfully used nylon boat carpet siliconed in. Don't go crazy with the goop , just enough to hold it in.  It is good because it releases moisture but dense enough to stop vibration and the window frame seems to glide in it well.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

59-in-pieces

Q is right.  Here are some pics.
1 - P side quarter window - note rubber weatherstrip moved just out of the way to show the 2 bolts with large toothed washers that hold the upper rear end of the curved window channel.
2 - Pic of the curved quarter window channels - note the upper end is held in at the rear and adjusted by 2 bolts, there is a center tab with an adjusting screw and attached washer in the bottom middle for adjustment in and out, and finally the bottom front of the channel is held in by a bolt in the door jamb.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Coupe Deville

Thank you for the pictures and the help. I adjusted the passenger side rear quarter window. It was very easy. There is no point in adjusting the the broken rear window right now because the frame is broken and its not strong ethier. It flex's to much right now. So i am going to hold on that adjustment for know. I think i am going to get the reinforced frames from the source of (59 In Pieces). I do have one more question. I have been told i can have a local glass shop cut my glass for me but, I am guessing they would not have the green tint i need. If anyone knows of a place that i can go get the class cut with the green Tint in the Los Angeles, South Bay california area it would be greatly appricitated. Thank you for the help everyone.

roinhawaii@yahoo,com

Sorry to come back to this topic from 10 years ago, but same problem cropped up in my '60 convertible rear quarter lower cast frame broke!  A chrome plating shop braze/welded the cast frame, but it snapped again!  It snapped identical to 59-in-pieces photo in the thread above. 

Anyone know if the replacement lower cast iron frames for '59 or '60 convertible are advertised any longer?  Or alternately have a gusset, or pattern for gusset that I can use to have a gusset fabricated?

Rohendra (30-years tinkering on my trusty Cadi, San Francisco)