News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What years and models had a radio foot switch?

Started by benji808, February 28, 2023, 12:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

Had my radio rebuilt - actually upgraded with an Aurora FMR 3.0 chip, which is pretty cool! Maintains original appearance and functionality with a few neat "hidden" features - and the rebuilder showed me where the foot switch for the scan feature/wonderbar would plug in, if I had one. I don't think I've seen one on either of the '75/'76 Eldorados I have owned, and I'm curious if it was an option for these, or other Cadillacs of the era.

Any insight appreciated!

KOKNEYELDO

Benji, I think they were only on mid 60's and mid 70's and do not have one on my 75's Eldo.

There is an NOS one for sale on Ebay now for $75.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265815599540
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

An option in 54, I've got the socket on my radio 54 CDV.

SteveB3155

I have one in my 1961 Series 62 convertible.  Right next to the dimmer switch.  Inevitably, whenever I go to put my high beams on, I change the radio station instead!
1961 Series 62 Convertible

jagbuxx #12944

They were mentioned in sales brochures at least thru 1974.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Cadman-iac

I have one in my 56, and I have a spare one that came out of another 56. My 55 parts car radio has the plug jack for one as well. They work pretty good too. I rebuilt three 56 radios and tried them out on the bench.  Really pleased with their performance.
I have always thought that it was just something used in the 50's and 60's though.
That's interesting that it was carried through the mid 70's. Learn something new every time I check out the forums.
  Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Michael Petti

David Greenburg

It was an option through much of the 50's and 60's, although I haven't seen it that often, even on otherwise pretty loaded cars.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TJ Hopland

How many people lived in an area where they had multiple stations they liked to choose from?   Or was it more for those traveling to easily scan?   Either way does seem like limited appeal.   How much was it? If it wasn't that expensive you would think to a typical Cadillac buyer they would have just said go ahead and gimme one of those too.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

As jagbuxx says, the option is last mentioned in the 1974 catalog. I've never seen it in anything later.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Nickl

I'm searching for a foot switch since nearly 10 years to install it im my 54 but had no luck to find one.... was a option for my 54 2dr....maybe someone has one for sale?
1954 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

KOKNEYELDO

Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

Lexi

Quote from: Nickl on March 03, 2023, 01:01:01 PMI'm searching for a foot switch since nearly 10 years to install it im my 54 but had no luck to find one.... was a option for my 54 2dr....maybe someone has one for sale?

I got an NOS one here somewhere, but not sure what year from. Should work. To have a look for it and post pics. Clay/Lexi

Nickl

Quote from: KOKNEYELDO on March 03, 2023, 08:11:11 PMI sent an Ebay link below.

Yes but that one is for another year. The 54 radio has a different plug for the radio

Nickl

Quote from: Lexi on March 03, 2023, 10:57:57 PMI got an NOS one here somewhere, but not sure what year from. Should work. To have a look for it and post pics. Clay/Lexi

Sounds great. Let me know when you found it!

tluke

I had one in my '55 I owned in the 70s. I had fun with my little league ballplayers when taking them home by clicking my fingers in front of the radio while secretly pressing the floor button. Magic! The station changed, but only for me. They all tried clicking, but no luck. It was impressive back then.
1955 Cadillac Series 75
1957 Continental Mark II
1986 Ford F250

Nickl

Here is a picture of one that will fit in my 54
IMG_2546-e1377359727848.jpeg.jpg

Lexi

Still searching for it. Know that it is here, just gotta locate it. Clay/Lexi

cadman59

Now that we are at it, does anyone have the installation instructions of the radio foot switch for a 1959?
I have a used working foot switch for my '59, found on ebay years ago, but did not install it yet because I would like to know the exact location it should be installed.

In the picture from Nickl you can see the the dimensions for his '54.
Looking for something similar for the '59.
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Lexi

Cadman59, while hunting for my NOS floor switch and photos of it, I found some images of the installation instructions. They were not taken by me, as I found them on the net years ago. They are lousy photos, but perhaps they may assist. For Cadillac year 1956. I believe the part number changed later on and not sure what the change, (if any) was. So for what it's worth, here they are. At least there are some measurements and specs of sort, last pic, if you can make them out. Clay/Lexi