News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Engine Gunk

Started by 49 Caddy, December 02, 2022, 03:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

Anyone ever concerned about getting all debris/gunk from in between the 2 layers of metal the valley cover is made of.? Just rebuilt the 331 out of my 49 Series 61 and don't want to allow any debris into the fresh insides.  I have shot carb cleaner and garden hose pressure into 1 hole and it comes out the other.  No matter how many times I do it,  I get debris.

Jay Friedman

I took mine to an engine rebuilder who put it in a machine in which he cleaned engine blocks.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

49 Caddy

Every machine shop I go to, pressure washes engine parts now.  E.P.A. rules/etc...

Poncholover

A couple application of oven cleaner will help as well! The caustic stuff.
Flattie Caddy

signart

Evapo-Rust. One quart about ten bucks. Get a cheap Tupper type ware container from DG or Wally about the size of your part & dunk it.
Art D. Woody

49 Caddy

Thanks for the responses.  I have it in a tub of Rust 911 now.  If results of that are not satisfactory I am going to try the oven cleaner as suggested.

49 Caddy

Thanks for the oven cleaner recommendation, that did the trick.

Poncholover

Flattie Caddy