News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1966 Eldorado with SO Interior(maybe)

Started by Bryan J Moran, December 05, 2022, 02:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

CLC 35000 in number only

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Looks like a legit 66 Eldorado.....interior looks Eldorado also....

If I had to guess the interior is #489 Vermillion Leather...

I like the color combination on this car....I'd like it better at $25,000

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Based on the pics, it has all the appropriate Eldorado bits and pieces. The interior is Antique Saddle leather which was a standard color offering. However, the pleated sections appear to be smooth rather than the standard perforated leather. The substitution of smooth leather was an available option when ordering; but I don't know whether it was treated as SO.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

V63

Seems light on options?
No tilt/telescope or headlight options.
Does have stereo however.

Scott Nellis

The photo of the crusty trunk tells a bit of a tale, possibly even crustier under the hood. This may be the reason there is no photo of the engine compartment. As was mentioned, it seems like it is overpriced.
1957 Eureka Hearse
1965 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Superior Hearse

Matti R

Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Scott Nellis on December 06, 2022, 01:13:04 AMThe photo of the crusty trunk tells a bit of a tale, possibly even crustier under the hood. This may be the reason there is no photo of the engine compartment. As was mentioned, it seems like it is overpriced.

I'm with you there Scott....the license plate is from 1975...47 years ago....I think this one is a real barn find...

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Substitution of smooth leather would have been special order.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bryan J Moran

All I can say is that is the oddest looking original leather "color" I have ever seen.  It looks like a puffy dark cowboy saddle - color and texture. Of course some of that might be the angle of the photo of the front seat, which has a bit of fade.  I think it is awesome, but in the mid century modernism of 1966, it appears to be a throwback to an earlier time.

That is why I suspected it was a replacement interior or SO. 

Typical of the new Facebook marketplace, which is FREE, many sellers will throw prices up that are too high.  I have no idea what the right price is.  1966 Cadillac is one of my common searches on Facebook marketplace, as it's becoming my favorite Cadillac year.

I am sure 1966 Eldorado prices for truly nice cars are $35,000 to $60,000, but this one needs sorted.   It's local, if anyone wants me to go see it.   
CLC 35000 in number only

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I asked the seller to shoot me some more pictures of the car.....I told him I needed the body ID tag and the motor....bonus pictures were of the chassis of the car....the floors look better than I was expecting....

The SO staples are on the body ID tag and no code for the interior....so there is something up with that interior....is it the lack of those perforated holes in the leather?

Ralph are you sure it's Antique Saddle Leather?....because the Vermillion Leather was an Eldorado interior leather....

I really do like the patina & color of this interior !

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

Bryan J Moran

*********************  SOLD  ***********************************

Mike?  Did you buy it? 

Was interesting how quickly it sold. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on December 13, 2022, 12:09:34 PM*********************  SOLD  ***********************************

Mike?  Did you buy it? 

Was interesting how quickly it sold. 

Bryan, if I had the room, this one I would have bought.....Car needed some attention but, It looks like it would have been a fun one....It surely can be a looker.

I hope somebody here in the club scooped it up...

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 13, 2022, 12:40:08 PMNonperforated leather is the SO.

Eric, why would somebody order non-perforated leather?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon #15848 on December 13, 2022, 12:42:51 PMEric, why would somebody order non-perforated leather?

Preference. I once owned a 1964 CdV that was ordered exactly the same way- red smooth leather. Trim code was "00".

1964 CdV w/27,000 miles. SO smooth leather. 1964 Smooth Leather.jpeg   

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Mike,

We can't be certain unless we tested the upholstery selector book samples against the actual car. Absent that, comparing my book samples to the pics, I believe it's Antique Saddle. Another tell is the color of the carpet and dash which are brownish, not red. The Antique Saddle leather is a slightly reddish brown with a blotchy color finish that was advertised as a distinguishing feature. The red leather has a uniform color finish. The SO designation tends to support Eric's comment that smooth , rather than perforated leather, was treated as an SO.

My last Eldorado was a bit worse than this one but a southwest car with no rust......A sun baked car can have as many, but different, problems as a salt belt car. The seller and I both thought it had 134M well-worn miles and closed the deal at half the asking price of this car. When I disassembled it and did a bit if investigation, I found the engine had been completely rebuilt about 10M early.....Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. :)
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

James Landi

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on December 13, 2022, 01:12:38 PMMike,

The Antique Saddle leather is a slightly reddish brown with a blotchy color finish that was advertised as a distinguishing feature.

That is certainly what caught my eye was that western saddle look of that leather. 
CLC 35000 in number only