News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Steering column cover fastener

Started by David Greenburg, September 16, 2022, 09:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

Do you know what this is?  If you've dropped the column on a '59-'61 (and probably others of that era), you do.  But why the star-shaped head, and what is the appropriate tool.  Back in the Pleistocene era, when I first encountered one of these, I'd just grab it with pliers.  Today I was able to tighten the one on my '61 using a 7 mm socket.  But it's not a great "bite" and can't be what GM intended.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Clewisiii

I used no tool on mine.  Just hand tight.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

fishnjim

I believe it's a 12 point.   A 1/4" socket set should have one that fits.    Usually can use the screwdriver shaft, as its not that tight.  The paint may have to chip off to get a bite.
I think it was the only screw head they had back then that wasn't as "noticeable"(?). 

Daryl Chesterman

Fishnjim is correct in that 1/4" 12 point socket will work, but better is a 1/4" 8 point socket.

Daryl Chesterman

Moody

7A0495A6-5ACA-44C1-A55B-E6BBAC31148B.jpeg Yes, it's an eight point socket. I used a two point socket to remove mine, commonly called an end cutter.
Moody

59-in-pieces

David,

Yes it is unique.
The literature says it was use to avoid snagging clothing, particularly lady's dresses and stockings.

By the way, they were not painted the same color as the lower steel part of the dash or the cover - repaints they seem to always be painted - no no.

Attached is a close-up of the hardware. - if I can attach it - a bitch-kitty to attach stuff for me anyway.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher