News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A thorn in my side(wall)

Started by bctexas, March 12, 2023, 11:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bctexas

My wife and I took the '70 SDV to a Cars and Coffee event yesterday morning.  When I parked the Caddy in the shop on returning home, I noticed what looked like a twig sticking out of the left rear tire sidewall.  When I gave it a pull, I found a sharp 1 1/4 inch long thorn.  I could hear the tire (and my wallet) deflating.  Three year old Diamond Back with 9/32nds remaining.  *sigh*

1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Michael Petti

You could put a tube in it unless the sidewall is damaged too badly. Just my 2 cents.

bctexas

Hi Michael.  Thanks - I hadn't thought of that.  I dunno how to reliably determine the extent of the damage.  It is a small hole - the thorn was pushed in just 1/2 inch.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to take it to my tire guy and ask.

I tried to include pictures this morning, but I got a message saying they had to be approved by a moderator.  That doesn't seem to be happening this time - so maybe there will be a couple of pics.....

Thanks!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

signart

Yeah, I'd take it to a tire guy, remove the tire and boot it from the inside. That tires' integrity doesn't look hurt.
Art D. Woody

Michael Petti

That's not really the side wall. Shop I worked at patched this and then added a tube all the time. I did it on my own car a couple of times. Lots cheaper than a new tire. I hope it works. Let us know.

TJ Hopland

Not being a tire expert I too would say take it to a shop and see what they say. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bctexas

Well, my local shop refused to repair it.  The vast majority of the sources I researched said it is not safe to repair.  I finally decided that I would always have a nagging feeling about a repair when going down the Interstate at 70.  So Diamond Back have a replacement tire on the way.  Not cheap.  But cheaper than a blowout and I'll sleep better.

Happy Motoring!

p.s. I may have that damn thorn bronzed - I paid enough for it.....
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Michael Petti

Cadillac Jack 82

Any repair on the crown of a tire is risky.  Not as bad as the sidewall but still risky.  Most if not all shops won't touch it.  Just my experience from when I used to turn wrenches for a living.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

bctexas

I gotta hand it to Diamond Back.  I called them on the 13th, they shipped the replacement tire on the 15th and Fedex shows it arriving here Saturday.  Good turnaround for what is supposedly a custom made item.

Thanks for the responses all....
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Roger Zimmermann

If you put the new tire on the front, you may experience a brake pull after driving some distance because the tires are not from the same batch. I had once that issue with a car's customer.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

jp1gt

They also have mesquite trees in CA. Mine are being made into firewood! I had a patch put in the corner of a tire on my truck and had no problems. What kind of problem is there?

bctexas

Roger - thanks for the heads-up.  The new tire will go on the left rear.  The damaged tire is still at 9/32 so I don't think the difference in circumference vs a new tire will be an issue

Jack, not sure how to answer.  All I can tell you is that the vast majority of professional sources I could find said it is not safe to repair.  I don't care to find out they were correct....

Happy Motoring!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV