News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Young Kid with an Old Cadillac. Please Help

Started by CadillacMack, June 22, 2015, 11:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacMack

Good Morning All,

I recently bought a 1970 Cadillac Eldorado; it is in great shape as far as running and driving. BUT still needs a little work. My main question right now is about my windows, I have looked all over the internet for some help. Both windows will roll down but not back up, I did manage to get the passenger side window back up(slowly) but the driver side won’t budge! I have seen on a few sites that this could be a result of the window "coming of track." So I removed the door panel to see if I could at least get it back up since here in NC rain comes out of nowhere!!!  And I couldn’t even lift this window up manually....am I doing something wrong, could it be something else or is there an easier way? Other issues are: the AC and Heat isn’t blowing, the AC compressor clutch is engaging like it should (I think) but there is nothing coming to or from the vents. My Headlights aren’t turning on and the radio doesn’t work. Now, some of these things maybe my lack of knowledge since this car is 16years older than myself :-[. Any Help or advice would be great!! I really do love these old cars (thank my dad for that) I just need to learn how to work on them. 

J. Skelly

As for the radio and headlights, check the fuse block for a bad fuse.  Power windows won't budge by hand.  Check for hardened grease around the large window gear, check for corrosion on the wire terminals and back side of the power window switches, check for any binding of the window motors.  Take your time and don't force anything.  I'm sure others will chime in with other great suggestions.  Good luck!   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Ken Perry

Check to see if the window motor is getting power from the switch going up. Do this with a test light. Also some times the motor is week or doesn't work in one direction. Clean and greas the tracks,even if that is not the problem. When you look at the back of the power window switch,look to seeif the wires have been hot from shorting out. Also sometimes the swith is bad,I have rolled up many a Cadillac window with a paper clip to short the wires. If the swith is bad,I might have one. Grab a test light and dive in ! Ken Perry     
Cadillac Ken

Walter Youshock

Step one:  GET THE SHOP MANUAL! 

As for the window:  it could be a broken wire through the door conduit.  Opening and closing the door flexes the wires and eventually weaken or break.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

CadillacMack

WOW!! THANKS SO MUCH GUYS GREAT HELP!!
I do have the shop manual on the way  ;) I cant wait to take another crack at this, this afternoon. it maybe the switch because when i push the switch up, it doesnt feel the same when it is pushed down. It has this loose feeling. Thanks again!! I am also getting the fuses when i get off!

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi “Kid”.  Welcome to the board. There are two investments that are absolutely invaluable:   1. Join the CLC to get the full benefit of the club. 2. Buy a 1970 Shop Manual and possibly a Fisher Body Manual.

There are many trouble shooting methods explain in detail,  and the body manual explains how to get at interior locations.

Ralph

P.S. It’s great to see younger folks getting involved in the hobby. Any transportation that’s 15 years older than me would need a veterinarian……..
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Scot Minesinger

If it is the switch, easy - just jump it to get the window up.  Usually to get the switch working again, the metal pegs or prongs on back of switch that connect to plastic wiring termination are corroded, some sand paper on the prongs and it works.  If not that you can un-stake the back part of the switch and clean up terminals with sand paper and re-stake.

Enjoy your Cadillac. 

I think 1970 is the only year Cadillac produced a 400 hp engine or more (and only in the Eldorado) until the next millennium.  In 1971 the hp of the 500 engine in Eldorado dropped to 365hp due to lower compression.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

gary griffin

I have found that gravity has a big impact on power windows and age of the track comes in a close second. My  1957 Fleetwood has lazy windows and I will replace the tracks this winter but until then I just spray the tracks generously with Silicone lubricant and help them manually as needed. It helps a lot.

My 6 way seat has lost 4 of it's ways so I need to take it apart and see what is going on there now. Old electrical luxuries often need help as they get older.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver