News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"modern" driving techology commentary

Started by fishnjim, March 13, 2023, 01:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

Maybe it's just I'm getting old, but was even worse when younger, it used to severely agitate me when on the highway with the cruise control on, people would dodge in and out pass then slow down in front of you with your cruise on driving steady.   You'd have to apply the brakes or change lanes because of their actions which was dangerous with others passing from both sides.   This new 360 collision warning is a godsend though.  Especially for backing up you can "see" the sides of your car and what's around you without need for a neck massage later...  I even put a camera in the outboard so I can monitor what's behind that big blind spot created by the boat.  And they like to "draft" you by getting real close.
This all started when Carter passed "55" which started the fast lane hogs going the speed "limit" and not letting anyone to pass.  We had professional "knights of the road" as they were called, before.  Now you have to get out their semi way if their speed drops 1 mph.   It's "evolved" to they're blueskying with the dumb-phone in their hands.  There goes one by at warp factor 9!
What's the sense of being able to maintain your speed when you can't due to other's driving habits?   It did save fuel on those long hauls when traffic was manageable.
I was out with the "new" - almost a year old - car yesterday and I haven't used it much outside of stop and go town driving.   I tried to engage the cruise and all kinds of stuff came on the dash, one of which said "radar control mode".  I'm used to a green dial light.  Not exactly what you want to see while driving.  {There's an expletive acronym for that I can't use on here.}   I didn't know how to turn it off either. No off button. So I'm driving and the car goes from 70 to 55 as soon as someone cuts in front.  That's not cruise control?
I'm just wondering now how many of those people I've been cussing out, it was their car's control system doing this?   I can't even imagine what tangling with an autonomous one would do to my blood pressure?   Just an oldcarmudgeon I guess.
I drove and towed many hours, close to 2 M miles, on I-95 and similar pressure cooker highways, holiday traffic, jams, etc so not just a passing - no pun - comment.
So I got out the owner manual, all 568 pages, and I know now, but will forget next time...  No wonder no one reads them, it's a work of anacronym fiction.
Have fun, might as well.   Banks are failing!  If the Prez says "don't panic", we must have cause for alarm...you suspect they messed up something pretty bad as their already blaming the other party for it.

Clewisiii

I call them left lane pace cars.  I was happy when they started ticketing left lane drivers by me when there was no one in the right lane. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

V63

Modern owners manuals ... 64 pages on the proper use of seatbelts for idiots.