News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Caddy fuel conversion

Started by 51Chevy01$, March 17, 2023, 11:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

51Chevy01$

I have a 56 Cadillac that im looking into converting from a carburetor to fuel injection. Has anyone out here done it and whats the best kit to use

TJ Hopland

I have installed a a few different systems on my own cars and helped others with a few systems.  I have not been carefully following that scene the last couple years but I don't think there have been any major changes.  The most recent big change was the $1000ish self contained self tuning systems from FiTech and Holley Sniper and those have both been out for 5+ years now. 

My first question is what do you hope to gain with this conversion?  If its to solve a major running problem,  same money on gas,  or noticeably better performance I would say don't do it.  EFI won't likely do much on any of those fronts.   If you kinda like tech stuff, like faster starts, like reduced chances of vapor lock, like it being less sensitive to different fuels, change elevations a lot, and like to have the ability to easily tinker with the tune then ya its a great idea.

There are other factors that can help justify the cost too like if your existing carb has issues that are not easily fixed like wear or damage.  Vintage carbs can be expensive to replace.  Maybe you don't have the original carb and are dealing with something that just isn't right?  Maybe your fuel tank has issues and needs replaced anyway?  If you have to replace all that stuff then why not replace it with EFI?  Costs may not end up that much higher. 

Question 2 is do you or a close friend think they have the tools and skills to take on such a project? Or will you have to find a shop to do the work.  If you are paying then the system brand will likely be up to the shop.  Seems rare that a shop works in multiple brands, they tend to favor one over another.

If you or a friend can do the work which includes electrical and light fabrication I would budget $2000-3000 for a FiTech or Sniper.  For an engine no one makes EFI intakes for those are pretty much the choices.  I think Holley still makes a system with a separate ECU but it just cost more and hasn't seemed to be any more reliable than their Sniper.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Abe Lugo

Fi-tech seems to be one of the easier ones to do.  The was a caddy Flathead with it and and set up nice.

Look up the site. Check you tube videos and talk to them. 

Don't listen to the nay sayers. Just do what you need to do. 
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG