News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1964 steering Sector ratio

Started by Suntuned, March 20, 2023, 02:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suntuned

Hello everyone , I'm new to the forum   I'm having my power steering Sector rebuilt on my 64 Fleetwood and was going to have them change the Ratio from 20-1 to 16-1 (3 1/4" box) or 14-1 ,14-1 ratio requires a 3" box . Has anyone done this to your Cadillac and did it improve the handling ?  How did you like it? Thanks

Chris, may I ask who is 'Sector'?
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Suntuned

Its the power steering box located on the frame that the steering column is attached to it.

klinebau

It's the sector gear inside the steering box.  This is the part that actually moves the pitman arm. 

GM used a variety of ratios in the Saginaw steering gear and different vehicles had different ratios.  Moving to another ratio will allow less steering input at the expense of more effort to move the steering wheel.  This will make it handle a bit more like a modern vehicle.  Whether this is good is a matter of personal preference.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

Poncholover

You may find that 14 is a tad quick for a car this large but you certainly will not regret a 16:1.
Flattie Caddy

Thank you. Who rebuilds your steering box?
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

V63

You might investigate a 'variable ratio' steering Box which was pioneered and offered in 1965 Cadillacs

Poncholover

V63, that is fascinating. Pontiac did not get until 1969!
Flattie Caddy

V63

Quote from: Poncholover on March 22, 2023, 07:14:24 PMV63, that is fascinating. Pontiac did not get until 1969!

LINCOLN did not get it until 1980!