News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

To all Gulf Coast Region members...

Started by Lucas F. CLC #15674, August 30, 2005, 08:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew 10642

Dont disagree with anything you said, Bruce

My only point was that many people had no choice but to stay, due to age, infirmity, caretaker status, or lack of transportation.  Did some stay because they were stupid(like tourists) or planning to loot and pillage?   Yes, but they are in every disaster situation, so predictible that when the hypothetical hurricane PAM for NO was run, they estimated that 112,000 would be unable to leave.

Much has been made of the levees failing because of the intensity of Katrina exceeding their design capacity, but Katrina hit mostly in Gulfport and Biloxi, MS, and the winds in NO were estimated to be 100mph, within the levees design capcity.  Who knows why the levee(s) failed, Im sure it will come out eventually. . .

FEMA did a great job after 9/11, but its becoming part of Homeland Security has resulted in a ponderous, bureaucratic agency, not surprisingly.  People paid for it with their lives, and continue to do so.  The NO police did an upstanding job of keeping things together for a few days(particularly without food, water, etc), but the lack of reinforcements from the National Guard, who have been almost entirely called away to Iraq, resulted in the situation degrading further than it needed to.  In my opinion, government is the only agency that can deal with coordinating massive relief and disaster, and our national government made the US look like idiots on the international stage.  So much for leading by example.

Fortunately, our President has so little political capital left that I dont even think Karl Rove can figure out how to use this event to invade something else.  (My apologoes to Bush fans,   I know it was a cheap shot, and that Bush cares about people as individuals, just not as large groups.  I just think the man is an absolute idiot, but hes our idiot until 2008, so Ill quit now)

Im starting a new thread about Tilt columns now.  Sorry if I offended anyone. . .

Johnny Boy

African Americans is what they prefer to be called, just like the group known as "Native Americans".  Personally I am with you, and hope I see the day, when we all just call ourselves "Americans"!

Yann Saunders, 12588

It has been 48 hours since Gita and I offered (via the American Red Cross) to take in up to 3 people made homeless by Katrina(and irrespective of race, religion or political views).

At this writing, not even an acknowledgement !

Denise

> And, stop calling the Black people African Americans

Its a trendy thing, Tassie.  Being just an "American" is way out of vouge.  That went out with Ronald Reagan.  Now you have to have a nationality, a hyphen, and a reason why the government owes you money,

Im a Euro-American.  My folks were promised free land to come to the USA, but they were put in little company towns and made to work at the factories instead.  Pretty cool, huh?

-denise

Denise 20352

> and our national government made the US look like idiots on the international stage.

Speaking of the international stage, has anyone been out to help?

-denise

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Yann,
You and Gita are to be commended for your offer;it shows the good side of humanity (yes, there is one..although its often hard to see). However, youre probably very lucky that you didnt get any takers.  I cant think of many things more risky than letting perfect strangers move into your house. Many people who would not consider putting someone who was begging for money on a city street into their cars and taking them home are basically doing the same thing when they bring Katrina evacuees into their residence. Even if things went well for days,weeks, or months, when would you say "we just cant do any more" and what would you do if they refused to leave at that point and pulled a weapon they found in your home on you? Maybe 21 years of police work caused me to be unduly wary, but Id prefer to err on the side of safety.

Ed Dougher

Silly me.  I thought this was a car club website, not a leftist Bush-haters soapbox.

Andrew 10642

International aid from a variety of locations was offered and turned down by our state department.  Pride has its price also.

Andrew 10642

"How many of these citizens would you like to invite into your home? "  was the comment that set me off, Ed.  If that makes me a leftist, so be it.

Ed Dougher

In six months yall will be blaming the administration for not screening people before placing them in in peoples homes.

Its all exceedingly transparent.

william hunter

My best guess is that many of them are now in parts boxes at a store near you.
They are all worth more as parts.
The few stolen and abandoned will be resold at auction.
Any 1980 or newer Cadillac that went under water is now a parts car IMO.

Johnny

Quote from: Denise> And, stop calling the Black people African Americans

Its a trendy thing, Tassie.  Being just an "American" is way out of vouge.  That went out with Ronald Reagan.  Now you have to have a nationality, a hyphen, and a reason why the government owes you money,

Im a Euro-American.  My folks were promised free land to come to the USA, but they were put in little company towns and made to work at the factories instead.  Pretty cool, huh?

-denise

Damn I would be pissed and go back to where they came from~

Johnny Boy

CANBERRA: The government should have ignored directives from the US State Department barring foreign consular representatives from hurricane devastated New Orleans and sent a rescue mission, Labor says. Opposition Leader Kim Beazley said today Australian troops on postings in the United States could have been sent to the disaster zone where up to 20 Australians remain unaccounted for. Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said today he is concerned in particular for the safety of two Australians who have not been heard from since the hurricane struck. Mr Beazley said the Australian representatives could have talked their way through as television news...

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Well, Our Government wanted to help, but offers of assistance were turned down.

We cant simply invade another country, even if that country is friendly.

And, the rantings on from Mr. Beasley is just that.   An Opposition Leader, and trying to postulate.

Our Prime Minister, John Howard, the other day, gave your Government $10,000,000.00 towards relief to those affected by the Hurricane.   Hope it gets to the right places.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

william hunter

This thread is personal, not politcs...
The death toll will take a year to edit and make sense of...
I suggest you all read post #1. again:
---------------------------------------------------
"Lucas F. CLC #15674

Tuesday, 8/30/05 7:33 PM    
To all Gulf Coast Region members who may have been affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Please know that we in other parts of the country are aware o the terrible devastation and misery this storm has caused. You are in our thoughts and prayers and we hope that all of you (and your cars) have survived this catastrophe and that your lives get back to normal as soon as possible.

I was going to bid on some stuff for my 63 on eBay but I think I will send the money to the Red Cross instead.

With best wishes,

Lucas F. CLC #15674
1963 Series 62 Convertible"
------------------------------------------------------

I hope and pray that all Gulf Coast Region members have survived this catastrophe, cars can be repaired or replaced...
The people down there need help not BS or blame game.
The emergency will not end for months.
Prayer, cash and/or other donations will help...
Do you have an old beater vehicle to give???
Clean the attic of the old clothes and blankets.
Dont forget under clothes and shoes are needed.

How You Can Help Katrina Victims  

Medical Volunteers

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is asking for a variety of health care professionals to go to the Gulf states and assist in this Katrina health care crisis, including doctors, dentists, nurses, social workers, psychologists and pharmacists. To print an application, visit U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and click "Katrina." All applicants must have hepatitis B and tetanus/diphtheria immunizations for this assignment. The phone number is 1-866-KATMEDI.

Salvation Army Serving Storm Refugees
http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

The Salvation Army is currently providing services to storm victims and first responders in the Gulf Coast states.

A $100 donation to The Salvation Army will feed a family of four for two days, provide two cases of drinking water and one household clean-up kit, containing brooms, mops, buckets, and cleaning supplies

To donate by phone, call: 1-800-SAL-ARMY
To donate by mail, send checks, earmarked disaster relief, to
PO BOX 4857
JACKSON, MS
39296-4857

Volunteer for the Red Cross

The Red Cross is ready to start training volunteers to send to the south. If you are interested in volunteering you must meet the following criteria:

You must be at least 18 years old
You must be in excellent health
You must have a valid drivers license
You must be willing and able to take a hardship assignment for a 2-3 week deployment
You must be able to complete a 10-hour training session before you leave
Contact the Red Cross:
http://www.semredcross.org/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.semredcross.org/

Johnny Boy

Quote from: Bruce Reynolds # 18992Well, Our Government wanted to help, but offers of assistance were turned down.

We cant simply invade another country, even if that country is friendly.

And, the rantings on from Mr. Beasley is just that.   An Opposition Leader, and trying to postulate.

Our Prime Minister, John Howard, the other day, gave your Government $10,000,000.00 towards relief to those affected by the Hurricane.   Hope it gets to the right places.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

One of the local Outback Steakhouses is giving all the money they take in tonight to the victims.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Thanks, Bruce, to you, Mr. Howard, and your fellow countrymen.  I appreciate the fine friend Australia has always been to us and this extremely generous gesture is further proof.

Steve Crum

I dont think I could name the nationalities that are likely in my linage. I think if you want to look at it from a canine perspective, "Mutt-American" would be most appropriate

baxterculver #17189

I think the Red Cross is still in the saving lives/first response mode.  Go to craigslist.org and check out the postings-- in the "New Orleans" "temporary housing".  There are hundreds of listings there.  You can post your most generous offer of help without cost on Craigslist.

JIM CLC # 15000

09-05-05
There is NO reason why anyone that was born on the "American Continent ( Canada, Mexico, South America. ( Any place on/in the American Continent, North or South of the Equator are "technically" Americans and can, when asked, what is your "nationallity", re-ply, "AMERICAN"!
Good Luck, Jim