News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A5 compressor rebuild

Started by D. Mailan, March 24, 2023, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D. Mailan

I've recently been working on my 58's air conditioning system to get it ready for the summer. I intend to keep the original A5 compressor. Is this a good idea? I have heard reading other posts on the form that since the a5 is non rebuildable, it's more cost efficient to buy a new a6 and do the conversion. Has anyone done this before?

I really would like to keep the original a5 so I gave two a5 compressors to my ac guy. He says that the seals can not be cleaned or rebuilt. From what I've read, it is possible to clean them/service them. I've seen the term "polishing" them being used. How would I go about doing this? Has anyone found a replacement seal for the A5 or has done this seal "rejuvenation"?

What things should I keep in mind while fixing the factory ac system and "rebuilding" the a5 compressors?

Any info, or experience working with this is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Derick

Attached are pictures of the two seals. One is from my 58 coupe de ville, and the other is from a 1960 62 flat top sedan
0C950AC2-0905-45A0-A380-97608014F7EC.jpegC4CB33D9-75BB-4354-B180-82AC8B11DF19.jpeg 

35-709

It is my understanding that Old Air Products can reseal the A5s --- but they are not rebuildable as you noted.
https://www.oldairproducts.com/ 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

D. Mailan

I spoke with a gentleman at old air products and at original air group earlier today. Both of them told me that they no longer re seal A5 compressors due to a parts shortage. They also no longer supply the A5 to A6 conversion kits. So I need to find a work around to either fix what I've got or take on the challenge of converting to the A6.

Daryl Chesterman

You might try this company—they say they have restored A5 compressors in stock, or possibly they can restore yours.  It is worth contacting them.

https://www.originalair.com/restoration-gm-compressors

Daryl Chesterman

D. Mailan

I spoke with original air too and they also said they have a parts shortage and no longer offer the a5 repair as of now.

V63

I have a few A5 assembly cores, (effectively good take offs at the time)   (1958 -1961?) indoor shelved for decades, most with clutch.
one was supposed to have been 'rebuilt' and it was painted all green by the rebuilder. It is the compressor only, no clutch.
I plan to market each of them and will image and status each in next few weeks.

Moody

There was a Cadillac update in 1961 for old A5s to be converted to an A6 if there was a failure. It was a one of a kind compressor externally, but a regular A6 internally. Old Air used to sell a new compressor that was this updated compressor. It basically has a round mounting flange where subsequent A6s have a square mounting flange. My car has this compressor. The update information can be found in the documents section on the modified site. Hope this helps.
Moody

J. Gomez

@Derick,

"If" the shaft seal (the one with the carbon shaft – the ones on the top of the pictures) are in good shape i.e. the carbon is not cracked or broken (which is the case on most of these A5 Frigidaire compressors) these can be re-used. This shaft seal would have an "O" ring inside the carbon shaft which would need replacement.

I did a couple of A5 compressors ('one '56 and one '57/'58) and was able to find the seals "oil seals" (with one small slight modification to one of the seal see attach), the "O" rings were cross reference from a local hydraulic shop (so the part #s are from their catalog).

Outside from these there are a few other items that would need to be checked and replace as well, the "3" plastic balls which rotates the two half clutches and the front pulley double bearing.

If you or your repair person is tackling the work these would need to be check these and when is time for assembly if any of these parts are replaced you need to check for clearance and add or remove sims as need it this is one key factor.

Hope this helps and good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

D. Mailan

Thank you all for your responses! It is so greatly appreciated!

So far I am going to do everything I can to fix these two a5 compressors before I purchase any new ones. The 61 compressor a6 replacements I would assume would be hard to come by but that is something I will definitely keep in mind as I go through this. The A5 compressors look good and seem to be in rebuildable shape. Is there a way to test the compressor on the bench? Is there anything else I should do while I have these apart?

The disassembly pictures with replacement part #s are very helpful. I will speak with our local bearing and hydraulic shop to find these. Hopefully they will have them :D

Thanks again!

Any information, ideas, thoughts, insight anyone wants to add is much appreciated

Derick

V63

Maintaining refrigeration seems a significant challenge, You might cap the compressor on a bench and charge it with 100psi and verify it's holding? Any system leaks later might eliminate the compressor as the source?

Coral58

I was fortunate enough to replace my a5,with an a6 conversion, from Old Air products, Texas. Wanted to keep original "looking "parts, it came with the round front plate built on, but still had to modify the rear bracket. I don't feel it would be too  difficult for someone that is mechanical and  patient, to make a standard  a6 fit. Old Air  does make a Pro 6 Ten,more efficient, a6 replacement, aluminum casting, model 21-2201. That's if you're not looking for original looking, it would have been my second option, but at the time I was all s taken by looks.  Either way be sure to get the correct  pulley and hose setup.  Just saying.

Coral58

Regretted to mention, replacement was in2012.

Moody

Auto AC Solutions still sells the A5 to A6 compressor, and associated parts. They are on eBay too.   
Moody

Bryans 60

Quote from: V63 on March 25, 2023, 03:53:48 PMI have a few A5 assembly cores, (effectively good take offs at the time)  (1958 -1961?) indoor shelved for decades, most with clutch.
one was supposed to have been 'rebuilt' and it was painted all green by the rebuilder. It is the compressor only, no clutch.
I plan to market each of them and will image and status each in next few weeks.

Bryans 60

Hi There, I'm new to this form and noticed you were dealing with your A5 compressor. I'm restoring my 60 Eldo Barritz to Concorse condition and can't find a rebuilt or a good original compressor. Original air in Florida said maybe in a year they will rebuild it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you, Bryan Rosen 909 2245798 Brosen3030email addresses not permitted