News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Reverse Light Possibility for Older Cadillacs or LaSalles?

Started by Brent Hladky #21519, March 31, 2023, 01:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Hladky #21519

I have a 1941 60 Special without the reverse light option.  I am told that the original reverse lights for the car put out very little light so aren't too practical anyway.  If that is true, it does not make sense to me to purchase one of them as they are very expensive.

For those of you with older Cads or LaSalles that did not come with a reverse light, have you found a practical modern option?  I am hoping to find something that is as inconspicuous as possible.  My internet search only turned up this one as a possibility: https://www.xenondepot.com/reverse-light-license-plate-light-xtrlp?quantity=1   It is an LED strip that attaches to the top (and maybe the bottom too?) of the license plate/holder.  Does anyone have any experience with this item?  What are your thoughts about something like this?  Are there any other options out there I should consider?

Also, my car is converted to 12 volt, so voltage won't be an issue with any modern option.  As always, thanks very much for your insight.

Thanks, Brent

TJ Hopland

Is your goal to have these lights so you can see where you are backing up or for others to know you are backing up?   If its for you then the license plate thing seems like it could work.  If its for others I don't think it would help.   

I don't think if I saw a license plate light up I wound think it had anything to do with the car backing up.  So many modern cars seem to have the back up looking lights come on as part of keyless entry or remote start or some such thing I kinda don't pay any attention to them anymore in parking lots.   If I'm in a busy lot and stopped for every set of lights I saw on I would still be there.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Brent,

That LED bar looks like a really good idea to fit to the Number Plate on any car that came without Reversing Lights.

There would be no doubt that any approaching driver would, or could ignore such a bright light display if the vehicle it was attached to was not moving forward.

Plus, it would be illegal for it to be operational in a forward-moving vehicle.

Even my '72 Cadillac has its' Reversing lights attached to the perimeter framework of the Number Plate holding area.

BUT, you would need some method of allowing it to run on 6 Volts.   Including Positive Ground as is on the Cadillacs and LaSalles of the 6 Volt era.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brent Hladky #21519

Thanks guys.

The purpose of the light is to see where I am backing up, and I would think that if it can illuminate behind the car, anyone behind the vehicle will know I'm reversing.  I could be wrong, but the website pictures show it shedding a reasonable about of light, and I think the only reason one sees the license plate lit up is that this light is coming from the existing license plate light?  The website says that it "is powered on with a simple +/- 12v circuit that's intended to tap in to your stock reverse light wiring" which would work perfectly as the engine is from a 1955 Cadillac engine.  As I mentioned, the car is already converted to 12 volts.

Does anyone have experience with this product or a similiar one they can recommend?

J. Gomez

Brent,

Sorry but I can't help you on that particular topic on this vendor and/or product advertised. Although, adding one is a good idea for both personal and safety reasons, there may be others similar strip type not sure if you search under "auxiliary reverse light" and/or "trailer reverse lights".

Since you mention you have a '55 engine and assuming the same year transmission ???, there is one small key item that you would need to be aware. The reverse light switch for the '5X models with reverse lights resides on the steering column and not on the transmission.   ;)

If you have the original '41 steering column you would need to rig the switch somehow to operate light when in reverse.

Good luck...!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

toybox

My 46 has / came with the backup light option and I find it works quite well for both seeing and letting others know my intent. Who ever told you they didn't work well has never had one working correctly or has never had one. My car is still six volt and with the correct bulb you can see a full two car lengthS behind.  Tim