News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

how to add oil filter to 39 engine?

Started by bariman, March 31, 2023, 04:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bariman

My 39 Lasalle never had an oil filter and I want to add one.  I think I know where to run the discharge hose into the timing chain cover but I'm not sure where to connect the pressure side of the oil line.  I see a connection port for the oil pressure gauge and a screw slot in the front end of the block.  Where do you connect the pressurized oil line into the engine?

Thanks.

Jim Stamper

Have you searched here for information. It has been discussed in years past.  Jim Stamper CLC#13470

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Dennis,
 I can help. I have the original correct oil filter & instruction sheet. I believe it's complete. Please contact me directly at bobscads@comcast.net.
 Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

bariman

Bob

I tried to send you a personal message but your mail box is full and will not accept more messages.

thanks for your interest in my oil filter project.  I have the canister and know where to get the oil lines.  I'm not so sure about how to connect them to the block.  Do you think the instructions help with that?  Can you send a copy of the instructions?

Thanks

Dennis

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dennis,
Don't send me a PM!! That's why I asked you to send an email. Please do that & I'll try to Help. Send me a pic of your cannister too.
 Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

LaSalle5019

Without modifying the block, the best you can get is a partial flow solution. The source comes from the line feeding the lifters and MUST use a restriction (1/16" hole if I recall correctly) to keep from starving the lifters. It sounds like the info Bob has will provide those details.

LaSalle5019

This is the setup I have but decided not to install it
IMG_1285.jpg
It uses a banjo bolt fitting for the oil return so you don't have to drill a hole in your timing chain cover
Banjo bolt.jpg
The feed can come from any of the ports in the oil header but the fitting that feeds the filter needs to be no larger than a 1/16" hole to avoid starving the engine bearings/lifters of oil.
Oil filter installation 1.jpg
Oil filter installation 2.jpg
Here are the original instructions
IMG-4755.jpg