News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Rear Shock Absorber and Connecting Link

Started by J. Russo, March 21, 2023, 11:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

I am in the process of removing my rear shocks from my Series 63. I have the left rear shock removed from the frame, but I am having trouble disconnecting the shock arm from the connecting link. The nut is off the link.

Is there a special tool I am supposed to use to separate the shock arm from the link?

The links look fairly new so I don't want to risk damaging them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

harry s

The best thing I have found is a "pickle fork", preferably pneumatic.  Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

J. Russo

Thanks Harry,

It worked like a charm!
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

wheikkila

Something that works well also is. Hitting it with two hammers on each side at the same time.
       Thanks Wayne

toybox

An old mechanic showed me how to do this back in the 80's and I've been doing it this way ever since. Place a heavy piece of metal (3 or 4lb ) on one side of the eye holding it firmly it and smack the other side with a  fair size hammer and it will pop right out. This prosses works on any tapered seat bolt that you can get at from opposite sides like tie rod ends and ball joints. Tim