News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Alternator over Generator

Started by Coral58, March 14, 2023, 02:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coral58

Here I go again, I've owned my 58 for over 32 years, had the generator checked, cleaned, new sealed bearings were included. Not had any problems, but would an alternator work any better, lights not dimming,at low idle, also  easily available  if ever needed.   Just thinkin ...

David Greenburg

You'll get multiple opinions on this.  On the one hand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. OTOH, if you don't get your car out on the highway enough and you do more idling than ideal, whether it's because of traffic or parades, you'll be happier with an alt.  They are more efficient. When generator got tired on my '60, I replaced it with a Gener-nator, an alt that fits in old gen case. Pricey, but looks original and works great. But my '61 does fine with it's original gen although it's low mileage and does not have a/c.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

We have a generator on our 55. I don't do a lot of night driving but when I do, I really don't see much of an issue- At least not enough to go to the expense of a swap.
Full disclosure though, I do keep a Battery Tender on it.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

fishnjim

Those generators are readily available as rebuilts.  They made beau coup of that model, good supply in reman loop. 
The end plates are changeable if the spare does fit exactly.
It will take a bit of engineering, bracketry, pulley, etc. to adapt an alternator, unless you buy one of the "genernators".  $$$.

Jim Miller

I have GenerNator on both the 41 and 49. Bright lights, solid charging, and internal voltage regulator.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

VooDoo

I've been contemplating the same thing with my 1937. Gener-nator is $900 6v-12v kit $830 with everything needed. I love the idea of originality but driving and enjoy should be more important. Especially if it's not being judged
Andy Fulenwider
1937 75 Series Convertible
1947 62 Series Custom Project

Chopper1942

The main difference between a generator and an alternator (technically a Chrysler name for an AC generator) is the generator does not produce as much amperage output at low speeds.  The "alternator" (GM calls it a generator) produces much more amperage at low speeds (idle & crusing around town).  The other advantage is that it has a much higher amperage output at higher speeds.  The 10SI series can ouput up to 100 amps, where most DC generators' maximum output is about 25 amps.  The purpose of a generator/alternator is to supply enough amperage to maintain the engine electrical, lights, and the total accessory amperage requirements.  It's not a battery charger.  The hardest thing on a generator/alternator is to use it to charge a dead or bad battery.  Just some thoughts from an "Old Duffer" who was around in 62' & 63' when they first came out.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I've had many generator equipped cars over the years and have never needed to replace one with an alternator. People I've come across generally do thus conversion when they can't be bothered or don't know how to fix problems with the charging system.
Phil

Chopper1942

The OE DC generator charging system can be at its top most condition and working exactly as designed, but if the vehicle is demanding more amperage than generator can produce at max output, the lights will dim and battery go dead.  Believe me, I have had this happen driving around the square in the winter at night with the lights, radio and reverb on, and heater blower on high.  Do this for a few hours with a 6V electrical and your in trouble. Been there!  Done that!

Today, if you can find a really good Automotive Electrical shop that rebuilds starter and generators for trucks and tractors, they may be able to rewind or build you a 6V generator with enough amp output to take care of your issues.

bcroe

I converted my 62 to an alternator because I
was fed up with the brushes going out about
Christmas every year.  Easy to do by using a
63 mounting bracket.  Also got rid of the
external mechanical regulator and a lot of
wiring and weight.  The yards were full of
cheap internally regulated alts.  And eliminated
a source of radio interference.  Finally it
allowed the same spare part to fit all my cars. 
These things may not apply to others.  Bruce Roe