News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Road conditions where you live?

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, March 21, 2023, 05:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

What are your first thoughts when you think of California? Currently it's probably more negative thoughts than good ones, I am right?

You are absolutely correct in your assessments, if so. Not only is this state in shambles in more ways than I can explain, but our road conditions are even worse! This leads me to not want to drive my Cadillac to certain events around town because I don't want to expose my cars to the terrible street conditions in specific areas.

I don't think people realize how bad our streets and freeway infrastructure are in terms of riding smoothness and overall safety. The state never fixes a damn thing, even after multiple complaints from residents, the government simply does not care about fixing and repairing its roadways and if they do, the quality of work is atrociously bad. All of our high taxes go to waste here.

Even before these recent heavy rainstorms, I can count numerous streets where I live locally where it like driving over land mines. Potholes that are 6-10 inches deep, deep severe cracks that look like an earthquake hit us, uneven lopsided roads that feels like you're off-roading every time you drive over it. Ally ways that are trashy, dirty, and are also filled with deep crater size potholes.

With our mostly pristine weather all year around, San Diego should have the best roads in the country, well they don't not even close. I've seen pictures of streets in Michigan and elsewhere that look pretty much the same as ones here. And that is completely unacceptable for a wealthy state like CA.

My point is, the back to back heavy rainstorms that has pounded California has made the situation even worse where now I don't like to drive my '64 to car shows on the edge of downtown because the streets are absolutely an abomination. I don't want to expose my Caddy to those rough conditions. Do any of you limit where you drive your Caddy based off road conditions?

Also the rainstorms have accelerated the crumbling asphalt which can kick up rocks and cause rock chips all over the car, this has happened to my daily driver unfortunately. I have accumulated so many rock chips in such a short amount of time that my windshield and bumper look battered. There's no street sweeping in most areas of the city nor the freeways either so you see tons of debris from shattered glass, to whatever else has fallen off someone's truck as its never cleared away.

Here are some examples of what I have to drive on. To the folks here that don't have to deal with such atrocities, I envy you, you lucky sons of a gun.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

billyoung

I Live in Central Florida Lake Wales which is pin prick right in the middle of the State. I Love it here, Do I miss Western New York State ? yes, but not the one that is there now. The cracked, broken and pot holed roads I don't miss at all. There are other reasons I Love living here however I cannot go into them here as I must follow the rules. Nuff said.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Cadillac Jack 82

The east valley area of PHX has been busy resurfacing streets which have been affected by the recent rains.  Being only a few hours from your area I understand how bad this seasons been.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

TJ Hopland

I kinda get that one of the things that kills roads in my area is the range of temps we see.  We get a few hot days in the summer then most of the winter below freezing and then the spring thaw and all the winter salt is really hard on things. Our DOT has got to be doing a decent job to hold it together as well as they do for the most part.

What is killing the roads in places like FL and CA? Ya it can get hot but it doesn't get as cold so I would think the range is a little less so should be easier to pick materials and the lack of salt would really have to help.   They just get that much more use and abuse like from heavy trucks or are they just not as well built as they should be?

Oh ya and to stay on within the rules we need to talk about how potholes are hard on our Cadillacs.  Finding replacement wheels and hubcaps isn't as easy as it used to be.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dave Shepherd

I have to drive on both sides of the road where I live to to avoid the ruts, heaves and holes. 20 years and no long term repairs. Upstate NY.

Steve W

Yes, Southern California is terrible at road repair. They raise our taxes for road repair, then they raid the funds for something else, and they raise the taxes on gas again to cover road repairs...and a few of the roads might get fixed sooner or later...ususally later, much later, if at all! And the potholes on the freeway are a deadly menace! My g/f has a newer Mercedes, with those sweet looking big wheels and low profile tires...and those tires get blasted and her rims dented from potholes. My Cadillac, on the other hand, actually fares better with the higher profile tires, and my Tahoe is even better.

I am originally from Northern California, born and raised, and lived for many years in and around the wine country...Marin County, Napa, St. Helena, Mendocino, Lake County, the coast, beautiful...and the roads were just perfect for a motorcyclist like myself who LIVED for the Sunday ride! Roads were like ribbon. Then I moved down here 23 years ago. Sold off my motorcycles within 5 years, and couldn't even IMAGINE riding on these streets and roads today...if the idiots texting and glued to their cell phones WHILE DRIVING don't get you, the potholes and the homeless' trash dumped and left right in the streets will...and it's SO SAD, because normally, Southern California is beautiful! Just not so much anymore...and don't get me started about cost of living, housing, utilities, highest gas prices in the country and politics...
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Steve,

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned your G/F and her problems.

One day, when drivers are refusing to drive their new cars because the roads in their areas are so bad that they destroy everything, and the Manufacturers of these new cars really start to lobby the various Roads Departments because they cannot sell cars that are so easily destroyed by the poor roads, someone will decide that roads need to be fixed.

Until that time, the cars that survive will be the older cars like ours that use 70 series and higher aspect tyres, on steel wheels.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

64\/54Cadillacking

Steve really understands how it is driving on SoCal roadways. I notice that up in Orange County, they really take better care of their infrastructure than down here in San Diego. Our government here in SD rarely if ever maintains our roadways. They are mostly a "reactive" type of government where unless it's an emergency type situation and something needs to be addressed and fix, than they have no choice but to repair whatever the problem is, be it a drain pipe that burst, to a sink hole, to something hazardous to the public. Other than that, if you ever request work to fix something in your neighborhood, forget it, the city will
never come out to fix/repair anything even after multiple requests.

At least in other cities they do a lot of preventive maintenance so things like this don't happen. They spend the money in the right places.

I am always so amazed on how smooth, clean and extremely well cared for Las Vegas roadways are. Even cities in Arizona, you guys have such pristine streets and freeways that it makes many parts of CA look like we are driving in a war torn country that's been bombed left and right.

Cadillac and all the old cars built years ago with tall sidewall tires mainly 70-75 series, never suffered or you ever feared of bending a wheel because of a pothole. Bruce gots it right, our old Cads are built like tanks and can withstand the abuse from the road especially with the heavy steel wheels vs aluminum wheels that can easily get scrapped up that are on every new vehicle today. Suspension, steering and axle damage occurs easily as well on the modern stuff.

As auto manufacturers went towards the trend of larger wheels, with low-pro tires that's when the concerns started to occur with rims being permanently damaged due to crater sized potholes.

It really makes you think of owning a truck or an SUV that comes standard with large tires if you live in a city with terrible streets because even most crossovers/cars  today are riding on 40-50 series tires that simply do not have enough sidewall to absorb rough roads and harsh impacts.

You need truck if you live where I live because at least it will be able to take a beating from the 3rd world roadways we have here in SoCal.

What was surprising yesterday while driving around, I noticed 3 cars that were riding on their skinny spare tires. Never seen 3 cars riding on spares in one day like that. This lead me to believe that those drivers must have hit a pothole that blew out their tires.

Those pictures above are from residents that have recently sent pictures into the "Get it done" app where people can make requests for repairs or make a complaint about something to the city of SD.

Another reason why I want to leave California so bad. Nothing ever gets fixed here even after multiple complaints. In many ways I believe local cities should be held accountable by law for allowing its infrastructure to deteriorate so badly that not only is aesthetically horrible to look at, but it's a safety concern for drivers that can cause a major crash or break someone's wheel where it can cause an accident. Cities should be held financially and legally responsible if request have been made to fix a problem and it never gets done. Fines to those cities by the state and federal governments I feel will really light a fire under their asses to get them to finally to a damn thing once and for all.

Here's some more pics from the app. It's literally never ending.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

James Landi

We lived in Naples and Melbourne Florida for a total of 25 years, and while the roads are generally in very good repair, the traffic in most areas along both coast is, simply stated, challenging.  Lengthy traffic lights, cars speeding, loaded limited access highways where one has to plan well in advance to off-ramp. Mentioned on other threads, the absolutely necessary a/c and perfect cooling systems.  Tropical sun seems much hotter, interior of cars are often infernos. There are relatively quiet places in FL,away from the coasts.  By contrast, the DOT in Maine works hard to keep the roads open (with tons of salt) during the winter and plowing, and frequent repaving, so there's a lovely, special "weather window" to travel in one's Cadillac, and lots of roads "less traveled." Happy day, James

Clewisiii

https://reason.org/policy-study/26th-annual-highway-report/total-disbursements-per-mile/

Nice article to look through. Breaks down per state and per mile of spending on roads.  Looks at both interstate and local roads. Break down of spending and condition on bridges. 

California is one of the tops in road spending per mile. And also has the worst road conditions.  New Jersey spends the most.  It is very interesting that road conditions and the amount of money spend per mile of roads for maintenance has an inverse relationship from what you would assume.  Almost like the money does not matter and something else is going on.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I certainly feel for you guys with road problems. All I can say is to move to Indiana. Our county and the adjoining ones even go out asap in late winter to fill in pot holes with loose asphalt to "make do" until spring/summer when orange cone season starts. I don't drive in Indy much anymore, but out here in the farmlands, our roads are pretty smooth.

When I was driving a fifty mile round trip while I was working, I got to know where each "chug-hole" (my wife's pronunciation) was and could miss them in the dark coming home late at night.

An intersection just outside of our county seat had work being done on it up through the middle of December with a "make-do" surface until it can be properly paved. And our adjoining county (Howard) has secondary roads as smooth as any highway. (You can tell where our county line is by the road surface.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

jp1gt

the roads are great in the CA palm desert area

2011DTS

I guess things have changed. I was transferred out to SCal in the mid 1980's and lived in Irvine and had clients as far as Thousand Oaks. The 405 was just a great road. As well as the 22 and the 10. Now the 5 was always backed up at the mixing bowl even at 4:00 in the morning, but it was a smooth ride. In fact I would tell my friends at home that CalTran  really keep the roads in great shape. Use to see them out in the middle of the night running conga lines to sweep and patch expansion joints. Have not been back sense 1990 so things must have really went down hill.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 64\/54Cadillacking on March 22, 2023, 05:28:24 AMI am always so amazed on how smooth, clean and extremely well cared for Las Vegas roadways are. Even cities in Arizona, you guys have such pristine streets and freeways that it makes many parts of CA look like we are driving in a war torn country that's been bombed left and right. 
Sounds like some States want to encourage Tourism, and want people to come and visit, and in Las Vegas' case, spend money so they can earn tax money to pay for stuff.

Down here, one always knows where the Politicians and Councilors live is that the streets around their areas are always good.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 22, 2023, 08:22:38 PMSounds like some States want to encourage Tourism, and want people to come and visit, and in Las Vegas' case, spend money so they can earn tax money to pay for stuff.

Down here, one always knows where the Politicians and Councilors live is that the streets around their areas are always good.

Although the state of Nevada doesn't have any state income tax, and their overall taxes are much lower than in California, they take excellent care of their infrastructure.

Not only are there streets and freeways perfectly paved and smooth as butter, but you don't see trash and debris on the roads like you do here.

The politicians here drive on the same crappy roads that everyone else does. And it doesn't matter the neighborhood either. The wealthy areas in San Diego especially near the coast have the worst streets you ever could imagine. Multi-Million dollar homes with Porches, and Bentleys parked in people's driveways, but yet they drive on the most deteriorated streets one could imagine.

So the mayor of this town doesn't get the privilege to drive on smooth roads like maybe in other countries do. It's the complete opposite here.

What's worse is that all those high-end luxury vehicles ride on super low-profile tires that are getting hammered day in and day out. I so do believe automakers should go back to making smaller wheels with larger diameter tires like in the good ole days that would prevent a lot of costly tire repairs and broken/cracked rims for owners.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

signart

Our roads in Tennessee are pretty good, and we have our share of tourism tax dollars what with the Smokie Mountains (Gatlinburg - Dollywood - Pigeon Forge), The Grand ole Opry (Nashville), Chattanooga attractions etc. We have a huge budget surplus and seems all our state roads are being made into four lanes and construction projects on main roads and Interstates constantly.
Our license plate renewals last year had been reduced to only five bucks, that's it. I have 4 vehicles that run on permanent Antique tags, plus 2 cycles.
We haven't had to pay any reparations yet, like Cali feels the need to do, it seems.
Plus we get our share new domestic migrants, so the traffic and the housing market is exploding, we cant keep up.
In case you are wondering or wandering we're all full right now.

I kid.
Art D. Woody

Jim Miller

In spite of winter and having to put the cars away for 5 months, our roads in northern Ohio along Lake Erie are good. We have summer tourism so they put a lot of resources into our roads. There are a lot of country roads with little traffic for driving and with local marinas there is plentiful non-ethanol gasoline.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

64\/54Cadillacking

You guys are so so lucky to be able to drive on such smooth roadways. I honestly don't know how it feels to drive on completely smooth, flat, even streets and freeways until I cross state lines.

The ground here is pretty bad so we get a lot of sinkholes and over time many of our streets become very uneven and lopsided.

The streets are dangerously bad by the beach because of the constant humidity, salt air and frequent temperature changes, there's deep cracks, lumps and potholes that look like a missile strike blew a hole into the ground. The city never repaves any streets and are extremely slow just to patch up potholes which some never get patched at all.

California is in ruins, is a lost cause, and I can't wait to leave this hell hole hopefully by the of end of the year. Now the state is going to be in a major financial deficit in the coming years after blowing all the billions of dollars in Covid relief money on absolutely nothing, so that means no new funding for our broken down infrastructure or anything else for that matter. Many wealthy residents are moving out, including many businesses, which has hit the states tax revenue stream, and more middle-class Californian's are fleeing in droves because hardly anyone here can afford it anymore unless you're semi rich.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

jaxops

Excellent topic!
In SE Virginia, the only roadwork goes to the resort on the oceanfront.  The rest of us just pay for it!  I am no longer homesick for Pennsy since the roads here are just as bad.  No excuse either.  We had zero snow this year and the roads are full of potholes.  I hate to think about the state of the bridges!!
They are putting in 2 new tunnels, one for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to/fm the Eastern Shore; and one going to Hampton/Peninsula from Norva.  That is probably where all the money is going...again to pacify the resort owners!
[I feel like a Tax ID Number!!!]
Driving is no fun either!  Everyone goes 50-70 on the side roads. "Hurry, hurry!" Not safe for us in old cars!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Lexi

Quote from: jaxops on April 02, 2023, 08:34:21 AMEveryone goes 50-70 on the side roads. "Hurry, hurry!" Not safe for us in old cars!

Well said. Clay/Lexi