News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

69 sedan deville in RI

Started by jcat, May 18, 2023, 08:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcat

Hi all-

Finally picked up my first classic caddy project after wanting one for a while.

It's a 69 sedan deville, 93k miles and allegedly one family owned until I got it, out on Long Island. Appears to be palmetto over dark green, albeit looks like at least one repaint. Plenty of rust/rot to deal with but it's a decent 10 footer and I'm really just looking to make it a sort of ice cream shop cruiser.

First order of business will be a tune up as I don't really know much of the service history.  Fairly certain the gas was old and some new stuff helped already. Battery is weak but alternator charges so that's good. Tires are old and crusty but seem to hold air.

Brakes need help. Pedal goes down and it barely stops, but the pedal doesn't return up like it should. Figuring master and or booster on that and some fresh fluid.

Some holes in the trunk floor and rear floor pan, some bubbling/rot spots on the exterior that need addressing.

Interior needs some love. Seats have seen better days and could use upholstery, carpet is pretty dirty.  Will likely replace the seat belts and otherwise just needs some real deep cleaning all around. I'll be asking for some guidance on interior paint colors for the trim, there's quite a bit that's corroded and will need to be redone in the dark green.  None of the electrical goodies work just about, so I'm sure I'll be trying to recondition switches and such.

It's a bit of a fluff and flip project but who knows, maybe I'll fall for it and end up keeping the thing. Looking forward to being a part of this community!
Joe Catanzaro
----------------
1969 Sedan Deville
2017 S550 4matic (daily)
2017 XC90 T6 (wife's ride)
2015 F-Type R
2004 F350 5.4 (work pig)
2004 Grand Marquis

billyoung

Welcome, Yes that is Palmetto green I had a 1969 DeVille Convertible the same color in 1975.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

James Landi

Joe,

Congratulations  and welcome. These are terrifically durable machines, but do take special care to inspect the frame-- especially in the rear, change those flexible brake hoses and any other brake parts that haven't been renewed. CHeck for lose suspension and steering parts...  Safety first, so my cautionary suggestion is to carefully inspect all the running gear, change oils, flush the radiator.  Keep us in the loop regarding your maintenance and upgrades.   Happy day, James

jcat

Quote from: James Landi on May 19, 2023, 07:31:53 AMJoe,

Congratulations  and welcome. These are terrifically durable machines, but do take special care to inspect the frame-- especially in the rear, change those flexible brake hoses and any other brake parts that haven't been renewed. CHeck for lose suspension and steering parts...  Safety first, so my cautionary suggestion is to carefully inspect all the running gear, change oils, flush the radiator.  Keep us in the loop regarding your maintenance and upgrades.   Happy day, James

Cheers, James.  Yes a thorough inspection is definitely due.  I already have the body service manual, just waiting on the shop manual and wiring diagram to show up so I can have the whole picture.  Gave it a quick once over while it was up on the transport trailer but need to get closer eyes on it for certain.  The frame was my main concern given the rot at the right rear lower quarter, but at least knocking on it with my knuckles it feels pretty good.  Brakes steering and tires are always top of my list, won't go on the road until those are sorted.

The old quadra-bog at the very least needs some cleaning out, probably some adjustment.  It idles just fine, mid throttle is ok but flooring it, she bogs down pretty bad even a backfire now and then.  I'm assuming there's gotta be a vacuum leak somewhere too.

Electrically, I have no stereo, no power windows, no power seats, no wipers.  But the battery is weak, about 7.x volts even when running.  Confirmed the alternator is ok despite bearings that are a little noisy, putting out 14ish while running testing across the main post and the battery negative.  May have to investigate the regulator while i'm at it.

Story was the car got handed down at the passing of the original owner to his daughter, and then sat for about 5 years or so until she decided to let it go.  It does seem like the 93k miles are honest, and it has all the markings of a car that was used daily for a long time.
Joe Catanzaro
----------------
1969 Sedan Deville
2017 S550 4matic (daily)
2015 F-Type R
2004 F350 5.4 (work pig)
2004 Grand Marquis

Cape Cod Fleetwood

"...and I'm really just looking to make it a sort of ice cream shop cruiser."

ROTFLMAO! Yeah I said the same thing 5 years and $60K ago!
Welcome to the New England Region, hope you'll join the chapter.
John Abend on the "The 1965-1970 Cadillac Collective" on Facebook just became your best friend.
Drive ability is Job 1, you got to make it safe and reliable first, then go for the fluff.
Stay with the shop manual, it won't lie to you.
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Slick tops are relatively rare, and means you don't have rust lurking underneath. Nice ride, and best of luck. 
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

jcat

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on May 19, 2023, 03:56:31 PMSlick tops are relatively rare, and means you don't have rust lurking underneath. Nice ride, and best of luck.

I noticed that too, although there are a couple spots at the bottom corners of the window.  Based upon some other stuff I think it may have had a repaint at some point in it's life, such as paint on the rubber boots between the fender and the door, etc.  As a matter of fact, I figure a less-than-quality repaint is the reason for most of the blemishes on the body.
Joe Catanzaro
----------------
1969 Sedan Deville
2017 S550 4matic (daily)
2015 F-Type R
2004 F350 5.4 (work pig)
2004 Grand Marquis

The Tassie Devil(le)

Another place to look at is at the base of the windscreen.

I rebuilt a '69 SDV, and even the bodyworks that repainted the car missed these spots.   The first one is on the Left side, and the other on, the centre right.

Creative manipulation and welding in fixed the job, but shows that rust can go anywhere.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jcat

Yep, the cowl is definitely chewed up in a couple spots.

Replaced the battery with a better one, and did the regulator at the same time. Odd thing is now I don't see 14v to the alt post when running, only about 12.3ish and the gen light stays on. Wiring diagram and shop manual arrive today so I'll be doing some rainy day research and planning for that and a couple other electrical oddities I've found. Headlights, radio, power windows and locks, all not working but I do have brake lights, turn signals and flashers all around complements of two new flashers under the dash. 

Plugs (Ac Delco 4's) and wires and a healthy dose of Berryman b12 has her running much nicer, just need to wait for the rain to subside so I can change the oil and such.

Brake issue I am now fairly certain is line, hose or wheel cylinder related and I've isolated it to the rear. I did the check valve on the booster just because, but I think the existing was ok. Popped the cover off the m/c and the front is full but the rear is basically dry.

Looking through the opgi and caddy daddy catalogues I'm glad to see a lot of what I figure I'll need, but some staples are nowhere to be found for a 69 sedan (carpet, some sheet metal, other basics). Is there anywhere to go to find what crosses over between 2dr/convert/4dr or can be adapted? Or other gm models maybe?
Joe Catanzaro
----------------
1969 Sedan Deville
2017 S550 4matic (daily)
2015 F-Type R
2004 F350 5.4 (work pig)
2004 Grand Marquis

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Basic (frame) body metal from the same years (1961/62) Buick Electra 225 and Olds 98 should fit. (Not fenders or outer door shells.) Those are all make related.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: jcat on May 20, 2023, 11:31:08 AMReplaced the battery with a better one, and did the regulator at the same time. Odd thing is now I don't see 14v to the alt post when running, only about 12.3ish and the gen light stays on.   
Sounds like the Alternator is not charging, or the Voltage Regulator is faulty.   An easy check of the Alternator is to pull it off, and take it to any Automotive Electrician, and have them test it for you.   Usually they will not charge for the service.

New alternators from Rock Auto are cheap, and probably cheaper than rebuilding the original one.   They even do an exchange.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

Before you get a new alternator, disconnect the output lug at the alternator--- that end tends to build up a lot of oxidation and resistance and can, on occasion, entirely open the connection. If the mechanical connection looks bad under the nut and the lug, that might be your issue. Bruce is likely correct.though--- alternator failure is usually the problem James

jcat

Oddly enough, without changing anything else, I started the car today and saw 14v at the battery while running.

Belts are on the to-do list so I'm going to investigate what sounds like noisy alt bearings and will disconnect and polish up terminal connections at the same time.  What's the little cylinder guy that connects to the side terminal on the VR? Is that replaceable? I just reused the existing one because I didn't know what it was.
Joe Catanzaro
----------------
1969 Sedan Deville
2017 S550 4matic (daily)
2015 F-Type R
2004 F350 5.4 (work pig)
2004 Grand Marquis

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you are getting that much of an increase in voltage, then I cannot see the Alternator being the problem.

I usually check the voltage at the battery before Starting, then have someone start the car, and I watch to see what the voltage drop at cranking is, then after being started, observe the voltage again.

Many cars go from 12 volts, down to 9 Volts at cranking, then back to 12 Volts immediately after starting, then as the Voltage Regulator does its' job, up to 14 Volts.

If the cranking voltage drops below 9 Volts, then the problem could be either the Battery has lost its "Staying power" or the Starter Motor is getting worn out.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe