News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

ignition lock cylinder change

Started by CadillacRob, July 05, 2016, 11:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

The ignition key that came with my 56 coupe doesnt work in that lock cylinder so I need to change it out.  It has one little hole I tried jamming a pin into but nothing happens no matter how hard I try.  How do I get that out so I can replace it with a new one and keys?  Thanks
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

TJ Hopland

I don't know that model specifically but usually there is a specific position the lock needs to be in and that is when you put the pin in the hole.  At that point the key and cylinder should just pull out.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

CadillacRob

Yeah poking around the internet for other models that seems to be the case.  Unfortunately the ignition key it came with is wrong.  Lock is right but iggy is wrong.  So I guess the whole thing will have to come out.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

To get the lock out , using the pin hole, it is necessary to have the correct key to turn the lock into the correct position.

Check the Glove Box to see if the key fits that, and if it does, then the Ignition Lock is not original and may need to be removed with the electric drill, and then the whole thing will need replacing, but that is your last resort.

If the key looks worn, then getting the key code from the Glove Box lock will allow a Locksmith to cut you a new key, to bring it back to size, which might allow it to operate the Ignition.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

CadillacRob

Thanks....I'll see what I can do and will update tomorrow.

Ive been starting it with a screwdriver touching the terminals on the starter haha.  Not a driver yet and barely a runner, so its okay for now.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

So you also hot-wire the coil ?

I love old cars, especially those without Ignition/Steering Column locks.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 06, 2016, 01:02:24 AM
To get the lock out , using the pin hole, it is necessary to have the correct key to turn the lock into the correct position.

Check the Glove Box to see if the key fits that, and if it does, then the Ignition Lock is not original and may need to be removed with the electric drill, and then the whole thing will need replacing, but that is your last resort.

If the key looks worn, then getting the key code from the Glove Box lock will allow a Locksmith to cut you a new key, to bring it back to size, which might allow it to operate the Ignition.

Bruce,
Sorry but some information you gave is incorrect. The glove box & trunk are the same. The ignition & doors are the same. That's why 2 keys.
Rob,
You need to hire an experienced lock smith the pick the lock to get it out. Then pull a door lock & compare them. They need to match. The  lock smith can do that. Make sure you address the trunk lock also. That should match the glove box.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

2manycars

To get the lock cylinder out, it needs to be in the accessory position. Get a pin or small punch and insert into the hole and press in gently. Turn the lock CCW past accessory and it will pop right out.

When my 67 Camaro got stolen and recovered, the thief had slide hammered the original lock out, and replaced it with his own. When I got the car back my key would not start it. I had to drill the tumblers out with a fair sized bit until the lock would turn. (If you have to do this, be careful how far in you drill so that you do not destroy the ignition switch). Then I followed tha above and got the thief's lock out. I got a new uncoded lock cylinder, then coded it to my key, and installed that. (Reverse of removal procedure to install, but the pin should be unnecessary). Still in there and working fine, 25 years later.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

CadillacRob

Thanks all,

i got in the trunk and glove no problem, but the other 2 (of the 3 I was given) wont work the ignition any direction.

Depending on the availability And price I might swap out the entire unit - lock cylinder and ignition.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

Looks like a correct, non-universal ignition switch is made of unobtanium so I guess I'll be using the original and will need to drill out the lock or hire a locksmith.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

TJ Hopland

I am for sure no expert in that era but I thought usually the whole assembly was held in the dash with a big decorative nut like thing.  You just unscrew the nut and the whole assembly comes out the back no key needed.   The electrical portion may or may not separate from the lock part.  If it does for now you could maybe use something like a screwdriver to turn the switch part till you get the lock dealt with.

At least out of the car it will be easier to deal with. 

Know of any car shows near you soon?  I don't think there were that many options for keys so a show with a few cars from the era you could get lucky.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on July 06, 2016, 09:48:53 PM
Bruce,
Sorry but some information you gave is incorrect. The glove box & trunk are the same. The ignition & doors are the same. That's why 2 keys.    Bob 
When did GM change to using two different keys?   Must have been 1956?

My '55 Buick Special uses one key for all locks.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

GM used the 2 keys system for a long time and before 1956. My 1980 Oldsmobile still had that system. Your 1955 Buick may have been modified.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks Roger,

From what I have discovered, the Buick appears to be totally original, but one never knows what happened in the rears past.

The car was purchased virtually from a Deceased Estate in New Jersey, back in 2008.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

Bruce,

As I sold recently all my inventory of shop manuals, owner's manuals and catalogs, I cannot check anymore if Buick had one or 2 different keys for 1955. I doubt that Buick did differently than the other GM makes and, as you said, unless all repairs are documented, it's hard to tell if somebody performed a modification just for the one-key comfort.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

CadillacRob

1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

TJ Hopland

What year did they switch the doors to the trunk key?  71?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

CadillacRob

So an update here.  Of the 3 keys I got, 1 aftermarket one works the trunk and glove box.  The other 2 GM keys are useless as they dont work the doors or ignition.

I got the starter switch removed entirely, that sucker was wired in tight!

Some pics:

1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

Man Ive called 3 locksmiths and not one of them wants to touch it.  They claim they dont work on stuff this old.   This lock seems to be as simple as it gets!!!

One guy said he'd take a look at it but has to come to me and itd be $75.  I dont think so!  ::)
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

55 cadi

Check around for an older locksmith place, one thats been around a while, not a newer place
and like a lot of mechanics now, they plug into machine and tells them what to do.

And the advice of taking handle off should be able to get you the numbers you need.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville