News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Front Door Vent Windows '38 to '40 Convertible

Started by JLB, May 05, 2022, 09:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLB

I am in need of both front vent windows for a '38 to '40 convertible. Both 2 door and 4 door models are the correct windows. I am restoring a town car with incorrect vent windows and need the correct ones. Please offer a picture.

Thanks,

Jim LeBlanc
1940 Series 90 Town Car
Jim LeBlanc
jim_leblanc@yahoo.com
1940 V16 Town Car
CLC Member #33340

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jim,
Do you need only the glass frames or the complete housings?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

JLB

Bob,

We can have glass made, that seems the easiest part of the project. I also need the frames and I hear the frames are pot metal. See the attached picture showing a side-by-side comparison of my black town car next to a blue series 75 town car. My doors also need sheet metal work, again that seems easier than finding the right vent windows. To start a full fabrication effort, we are thinking of starting with the window seal. The seal gives the size and shape of the window. With those dimensions, the rest follows.
Jim LeBlanc
jim_leblanc@yahoo.com
1940 V16 Town Car
CLC Member #33340

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jim,
I didn't mean the glass. I meant the glass frames. Why do you think you have the wrong frames?? I'd start looking at 38 to 40 75 & 90 series convs. Get back to us with your findings.
Bob

JLB

Bob,

Most certainly my car has the wrong vent windows. The Authenticity Manual gives pictures of the town car. My car has different vent windows. The sedans and convertibles have different vent windows. See the attached picture with the blue town car compared to the black town car. My car is the black one, the blue one has the correct vent window, per the Authenticity Manual. To help us make correctly shaped windows, I am asking a convertible or town car owner to measure and post dimensions. 

Jim LeBlanc
jim_leblanc@yahoo.com
1940 V16 Town Car
CLC Member #33340

harry s

...along with modifying the door sheet metal it looks like the window glass will be a different width along with needing the chrome frame that would match the vent window frame.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

JLB

Correct Harry S. The metal surrounding the window itself is a separate part and after fabrication will be chromed. The door window glass will need to be narrower. Both these changes are easy enough as the car is undergoing full exterior, mechanical and electrical restoration. The metal guy estimates between 8 and 16 hours each to make the left and right sides "to-be chromed" metal frames. The trim around the glass windows is a separate effort.
Jim LeBlanc
jim_leblanc@yahoo.com
1940 V16 Town Car
CLC Member #33340

harvey b

on my 37,the vent window is a seperate assembly,it just pulls up out of the door.i dont have any pictures of mine as the car is all together,mine is a 37,but should be close to a 38,it almost looks like your door started out as a closed sedan door,it doesnt look the same on the top by where the glass sits?.I could take a picture of my door tops if that would help?. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jim,
The authenticity manuals are not perfect!! Is your car an early car? Does your car show that modifications have been made? I find it hard to believe that someone went thru a LOT to modify your car.  Why?? I've had several of those big series cars.
Bob

JLB

Bob,

Yes a little history would help with an understanding. The car originates as a standard 7 passenger Imperial Limo with the original owner being Adlai Stevenson followed by a few other owners and finally the prior to myself being Clive Cussler. In about 2000 when Clive Cussler bought the car he had it converted to a town car and for years it resided that way in his Colorado museum. During the 2000 conversion the drivers compartment was altered along with the doors. This current effort continues giving the car an accurate conversion. For my tastes too much Bondo was used and we are now forming correct sheet metal. As we studied the modified sheet metal we noticed the incorrect vent windows.

As I understand 1940 Series 90 Cadillac history, the factory authorized Derham to make two town car conversions. My car is not found in Derham records and has slight differences with the most obvious being the opera windows. Less obvious are the vent windows and the drivers compartment top. Clive Cussler's team did a good cosmetic conversion.

Thanks for Asking,

Jim LeBlanc
1940 Series 90 Town Car
Jim LeBlanc
jim_leblanc@yahoo.com
1940 V16 Town Car
CLC Member #33340