News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1975 Steering Wheel Trim

Started by Doug 22747, November 05, 2011, 10:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug 22747

anyone have a source for the woodgrain trim insert in these steering wheels?  Thanks Doug
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

Jeff Wilk

Been looking for the same thing for a year now.  Only source I found is a steering wheel restoration shop that has the means and materials to bring them back to new for these mid-70's Cadillacs.  Only problem I have is that it costs about $500.........same as an NOS one......when they do show up.......

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

jagbuxx #12944

I had the wheel in my '70 done last year, $550.00 with shipping and insurance but it is like new.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

TJ Hopland

I would also guess and hope that the materials used in the re manufacture process being more modern will outlast the originals.    A lot of that 60's and 70's plastic and rubber stuff did not last even under ideal conditions. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Aaron Hudacky

Jagbuxx,

What was the name of the company that did your. Wheel. Do you have before and after photos? I've never seen one of these wheels restored and am very interested.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

jagbuxx #12944

Used Gary's Steering wheel restoration in Carlisle, Pa
garyssteeringwheel.com
Had a nice black '80's wheel to use as a slave while mine was out, about 6-7 weeks.
My original wheel had most of the grain intact but was cracking and chalky. Refinished wheel is nice although grain is not an exact match to the "tamo wood" style. More of a straight grain.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Doug 22747

thanks all - so this reminding me of what my Dad might say, "$500 for someone to paint tin and jam it in the wheel???"  I know of course it's more than that, but I think I'll just stick with the leather cover I have on the wheel and continue to wait for a more practical solution.  10 years ago nobody even restored them.  Doug
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

Antoni Deighton

I also had Gary's Steering Wheel restore the wheel in my 1978 Fleetwood Brougham. While the wheel looks great (and it's nice to hold an uncracked wheel), I would caution that the method use to restore the wheel does not appear to be OEM and so the width of the "chrome" trim, and style of "woodgrain" varies a little from stock. This is not so much of an issue in my car, since I like to drive it, but I'd like to find someone who does a proper restoration using a strip of wood grain fitted to a channel in the plastic wheel and covered with plastic trim, rather than the "papers" used in these restorations and clear coated.

Just my $0.02

A.
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

Aaron Hudacky

Jagbuxx and Antoni,

Thanks for the photos and information. Although it will be some time before I redo my wheel, its nice to know where I can have it done.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

brtcpa75Cadillac

I am getting a low mile 1975  Fleetwood d'Elegance.   It has perfect steering wheel now.   From  having owned a 1976 Eldorado Convertible and a 1978 Biarritz, I know how important it is to maintain the steering wheel integrity.  I always used driving gloves to drive the Eldorados to prevent body oils from damaging the inserts.   Has anyone with a perfect wheel used any kind of classic looking leather cover (not those with the string around them) to preserve your correct wheel for shows or important viewings and not damage it one way or the other?   Thank you

rms70

Bought an inlay from John Brankin for my 70 DeVille 2 years ago.  Haven't installed mine yet ( other more pressing issues) but others had with good results. Last email address I have is bdamc@comcast.net.  If you search steering wheel inlay you'll find my original post.         
                                                                                           Rob

J. Skelly

Quote from: brtcpa75Cadillac on May 16, 2022, 11:48:02 PM
I am getting a low mile 1975  Fleetwood d'Elegance.   It has perfect steering wheel now.   From  having owned a 1976 Eldorado Convertible and a 1978 Biarritz, I know how important it is to maintain the steering wheel integrity.  I always used driving gloves to drive the Eldorados to prevent body oils from damaging the inserts.   Has anyone with a perfect wheel used any kind of classic looking leather cover (not those with the string around them) to preserve your correct wheel for shows or important viewings and not damage it one way or the other?   Thank you

the steering wheels have a tendency to crack where the rim meets the horn pad section - at least on the Eldorado
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)