News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The ARK arrives at the body shop

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, February 22, 2022, 12:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotth3886

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on April 10, 2022, 11:41:36 AM
Fresh body shop pics, on a Saturday, these guys are relentless.

Now buying Ark show products, the days of a bath towel rubbing on Mothers Car Care 'Show Time' are over. Now its Adams Polishes "waterless car wash" for any body stains using Adams Polishes microfiber towels designed for use with the waterless car wash to wipe it off. No more dusting with bath towels either, now its a Relentless Drive "Ultimate Car Duster". Can't wait to see what holy water I'll need to use on the Brightworks Restoration jewelry...

Agree.  I never get my cars wet.  Not with the original vinyl top still on there.  I'll do wheels and tires, but everything else stays dry.

By the way, are you going to the CLC nationals in Chicago in June?  I don't do much single brand events, but this one I very well may. 

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: scotth3886 on April 10, 2022, 12:49:51 PM
Agree.  I never get my cars wet.  Not with the original vinyl top still on there.  I'll do wheels and tires, but everything else stays dry.

By the way, are you going to the CLC nationals in Chicago in June?  I don't do much single brand events, but this one I very well may.

Starting next spring I'll be back to "1 bath a year". And sometimes you get caught in a rain not forecast at a show, the car gets filthy coming home and it gets another bath. I'll still use Maquire's car wash and my new wool wash mitt. Microfiber towels to dry it off, Adam's to take off the water spots. Less is more, but sometimes it can't be helped. The Ark's feet get washed regularly, gotta keep those Diamond Back Classics looking spiffy and I put WAY TOO MUCH TIME into restoring those wheel covers. So... Negative CLC Nationals in Chicago. We've already got 19 shows in MA on the itinerary. When the Nationals come back to the NE sometime, if it makes sense time and distance wise, we'll be there.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

2manycars

I have followed your journey for quite a long while. I am looking forward to seeing the photos of it when the current work is complete!
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 2manycars on April 11, 2022, 04:47:40 PM
I have followed your journey for quite a long while. I am looking forward to seeing the photos of it when the current work is complete!

That's makes 2 of us honey, thank you.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

scotth3886

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on April 10, 2022, 11:35:38 PM
Starting next spring I'll be back to "1 bath a year". And sometimes you get caught in a rain not forecast at a show, the car gets filthy coming home and it gets another bath. I'll still use Maquire's car wash and my new wool wash mitt. Microfiber towels to dry it off, Adam's to take off the water spots. Less is more, but sometimes it can't be helped. The Ark's feet get washed regularly, gotta keep those Diamond Back Classics looking spiffy and I put WAY TOO MUCH TIME into restoring those wheel covers. So... Negative CLC Nationals in Chicago. We've already got 19 shows in MA on the itinerary. When the Nationals come back to the NE sometime, if it makes sense time and distance wise, we'll be there.

In the Midwest when hot and humid we get frequent mid afternoon t-storms blowing up that aren't forecasted, but after my stroke I got real heat sensitive so I was ready to leave anyways by 2:00 or so.   I just try real hard to keep that top out of the rain and keep it all original as long as I can.  No signs of any rust under that top, but I'm sure the Midwest will fix that for me.  I do my tires and wheels and waterless everything else.  I have most of the mechanical issues taken care of so hoping for a summer of motoring.  I shows or event almost every weekend until Hershey. 

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: scotth3886 on April 14, 2022, 11:54:24 AM
In the Midwest when hot and humid we get frequent mid afternoon t-storms blowing up that aren't forecasted, but after my stroke I got real heat sensitive so I was ready to leave anyways by 2:00 or so.   I just try real hard to keep that top out of the rain and keep it all original as long as I can.  No signs of any rust under that top, but I'm sure the Midwest will fix that for me.  I do my tires and wheels and waterless everything else.  I have most of the mechanical issues taken care of so hoping for a summer of motoring.  I shows or event almost every weekend until Hershey.

GOOD FOR YOU! Get out there, drive your car, love your car, share it with others. That's what this is all about.
And its going to get wet no matter how hard you try to avoid it, there's worse, like salted roads.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The body shop sent some pics yesterday. They are officially at a stop until Brightworks sends back all the jewelry. Aren't I glad I recently paid their previous bill and pre-paid the future work 'as a friend'? Jewelry has to be fitted before final primer and block sanding (again) can commence. I told the shop not to remove the roof trim, front or rear window trim or pillar trim, that's all been off already, any corrosion was already dealt with. Sand, prime, paint around it. Let's get it boys, you've been kicking unbelievable a$$ for 2 months, first show is in 30 days at Larz Anderson Auto Museum "Cadillac Day" and crew chief Michael Amster from the WORLD FAMOUS Hyannis Vintage Auto has to have The Ark on his lift before then for the annual physical and to address a possible coolant leak. Which I'm hoping is just a worm clamp coming loose, it could also be the petcock valve, he'll figure it out, he always does.

And after all that work on The Lair by Charlie and me, I'm still seeing "wet" on the east side floor after a rain and its not the roof. That's the 2nd wall I've replaced and of course Shelter Logic no longer makes a replacement. I reinforced the rear wall with a 2nd sheet of 12mil 6x10 on the inside, that's working. I just ordered a 12mil 6x20 to reinforce the east wall the same way. I'm not worried about snow anymore, The Ark will be spending winters at Area 51 from now on. But I need to keep it safe and dry the rest of the time, including storms, since it can't be covered for months until the new paint job cures, gasses off, whatever.

Easter is Sunday. I'd always go out to The Ark on Easter and either drive it (Michael once worked on The Ark on an Easter Sunday since we had a show coming up and a mechanical issue, the man is dedicated to us, we're dedicated to him) or at least sit in the middle of the front seat and have an Easter drink with my parents. Not this year. <sigh> Next year. Hopefully for a few more years too.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

All the jewelry came back a few days ago. It looks brand new. Every scratch, ding, bump - gone.
Then polished to perfection. The piece of door bumper trim I got from Charles Fares (RIP) was properly
modded for the drivers door. You get what you pay for. Company is "Brightworks Restoration" in Fall River, MA.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

More $hiny $tuff...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on April 22, 2022, 11:45:45 AM
All the jewelry came back a few days ago. It looks brand new. Every scratch, ding, bump - gone.
Then polished to perfection. The piece of door bumper trim I got from Charles Fares (RIP) was properly
modded for the drivers door. You get what you pay for. Company is "Brightworks Restoration" in Fall River, MA.
Nice!  I use Steve at Brightworks for all my stuff.  He is excellent!!!
Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Chuck Swanson on April 23, 2022, 03:02:24 PM
Nice!  I use Steve at Brightworks for all my stuff.  He is excellent!!!
Chuck

He's a GOD. The end pieces of trim on the rear doors against the C pillars looked like pitted concrete, I was trying to
replace them with something less hideous. The rocker trim was nothing but dings, bumps and scratches. The Man says
they and everything else look brand new now. Pricey but actually very cost effective, this stuff NOS/show quality would be
telephone numbers, IF you could find it all.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

If the schedule holds, barring any unforeseen surprises, they start painting The Ark later next week. That's 4 months of
body work.

Do you have ANY idea of the size of boobs I could have bought for myself with what this is costing me... Boobs that could
have entered a room 5 minutes before the rest of my body did. Its all good, I'll be driving my boobs. And now I have another
idea for a vanity plate...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

59-in-pieces

You mean Dagmars - don't you.
Keep the nervous types calm, by keeping it all Cadillac, all the time.

And they would still be FAKE - and all would know it, no matter the arrival time,

While the fully restored ARK would be REAL - and all would know it, and more would enjoy it - no matter where you go, since we know outside, not in a room, is where he belongs.

After all - the former will give you a back ache, and the latter will give you and others enjoyment, driving around.

Oh, and we all also know it is better to drive with heavy loads, than walk.

Have fun,
Butchman
S. Butcher

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on April 29, 2022, 11:29:48 AM
If the schedule holds, barring any unforeseen surprises, they start painting The Ark later next week. That's 4 months of
body work.

Do you have ANY idea of the size of boobs I could have bought for myself with what this is costing me... Boobs that could
have entered a room 5 minutes before the rest of my body did. Its all good, I'll be driving my boobs. And now I have another

Yes, Dagmars are nice but, I'm kinda partial to the rear fender treatment.....ah... >:D

Laurie, I'm sure yours is going to be very nice!!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Highwayman68

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on April 29, 2022, 11:54:05 AM
You mean Dagmars - don't you.
Keep the nervous types calm, by keeping it all Cadillac, all the time.

And they would still be FAKE - and all would know it, no matter the arrival time,

While the fully restored ARK would be REAL - and all would know it, and more would enjoy it - no matter where you go, since we know outside, not in a room, is where he belongs.

After all - the former will give you a back ache, and the latter will give you and others enjoyment, driving around.

Oh, and we all also know it is better to drive with heavy loads, than walk.

Have fun,
Butchman

Well said! :)
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

e.kempton

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on April 29, 2022, 11:29:48 AM
body work.

What is that GO BUST?

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Butchman you're killing me, LOL! Someone on my FB page already reminded me such would be devastating for a well
documented bad back. Another won the thread with the vanity plate "NORACK".

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Ark's wheel covers washed, dried and waiting for polish.
Oh, your wife/girlfriend gets mad because you put car parts on the kitchen counter?
You're with the wrong girl.  ;)
I was THRILLED to see none of the wheel covers needed any paint touch up, those were a nightmare to
recondition last year.

The Ark is in final primer, another sanding and color the first of next week. What a long, glorious adventure.
Now the Ark has a laser straight rust free body and will VERY soon look like he just rolled off Clark Street, again.

We'll miss Larz Anderson this year, hopefully I'll still be alive next year and we'll attend then.
Busy itinerary for the rest of this year though, can not wait to get the NEW Ark out there.

My biggest worry right now is getting the interior detailed properly, its going to be caked with dust and
crap from the body shop, my back is blown with another compression fracture and this really hurts to do.
Fortunately there's a high end detail shop the next town over that mostly does one-off Lambo's, Ferrari's
and McLarens. The owners are friends of mine and said they'd take The Ark in immediately and spiff him up if
I'm physically unable/crushed by time to the first show.
https://attentiontodetailma.com/

AAA would take The Ark back from the shop to the Cape for free. I have no idea 'who' that tow company would
be or the experience level of the driver. So I've decided to have my local company, where I know the owner and
drivers personally, go get the car and bring him home when the time comes. Peace of mind comes with a price.

Most of the work I've done with The Lair has worked, except for the roof, still leaking in the rain. Ordered a new,
higher quality roof replacement, should be here in a few days, I have help to take the old one off and put the new
one on.

Taylor Imaging (Boston, MA) has done a new showboard/sandwich board, and its gorgeous.

Michael is standing by to stand by to give The Ark a physical before we hit the road again this year.

This is what I live for, its why I get up in the morning, my baby.

It won't be long now, its felt like forever. God I miss that car.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Highwayman68

My kitchen counter and clothes drying rack has looked like that a few times. Ran the seatbelts through the dishwasher which brought them back to life.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Highwayman68 on May 05, 2022, 12:47:14 PM
My kitchen counter and clothes drying rack has looked like that a few times. Ran the seatbelts through the dishwasher which brought them back to life.

That didn't cause corrosion in the buckles? I'd love to spiff up my seat belts....

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville