News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'75 Eldorado front seat rocking

Started by benji808, May 06, 2022, 02:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

The driver's seat has about an inch of movement - that is, I can grip the bottom of the seat and freely rock it up and back about an inch with minimal effort. All the power controls work, and the seat seems otherwise stable. I know very little about the chair setup, but do have a GM diagram (attached) that I'm trying to understand. Any ideas on what part(s) may be causing this?

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Check the bolts that attach the seat mechanism to the floor (they are under plastic shields) and those that hold the seat itself to the mechanism ((chech these with the seat fully up).
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

Also, check the bolts that secure the jackscrews to the seat frame and adjusting mechanism.

When I purchased my '72 in 2008, I found that these bolts had come out, and the previous owner had stuck a piece of tin to hold the seat together.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Skelly

Also check for floorpan crossmember or floorpan rust where the seat bolts to the floor.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

benji808

Thanks, all! It's at the body shop for bumper fillers right now, but I'll look into these when I get it back.

benji808

Got around to looking at this today. There are 4 "gear nuts" (essentially electric pistons), one at each corner of the seat, that tilt the seat when the seat motor is engaged. One of these in the front was missing a bolt. It looks like someone lost the original bolt and tried to make due with a non-spec bolt, did not get it in tight enough so it slipped out.

Pretty simple job... seat has two bolts or washers at each corner, which I removed so I could get at the bottom of the seat (they are 1/2", I recommend a short socket, a long socket, and an open-end as there are a couple awkward positions). Once these were removed I tilted the seat back and could easily access the gear nut bolts, which thread through the channel into the gear nuts. Lowes didn't have the right diameter of bolt (weird), but I was able to find one and tighten everything up. Put the seat back down, fastened to the floor, and it seems to be good to go!

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, the correct bolts have smaller heads so that there is no interference with the operation of the fore and aft movement of the sliders.

If you don't have the correct heads, you can grind down a normal bolt so that it fits.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Since you will probably find the threads these bolts screw into are stripped what I have done is use 1/4 x20 screws with the heads ground off to clear the screw jacks.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-