News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Restoration, Reproduction Battery Source? 1952 Cadillac

Started by jdemerson, May 14, 2022, 07:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdemerson

The 6-volt battery in my '52 Series 6219X was purchased new from Restoration Battery in Ohio. It is an Optima Redtop battery sealed in a black Delco case with the tar top and yellow caps. The date of purchase was October 13, 2010 so it is 12 years old; that is NOT a mistake. It started the car instantly yesterday.

Question:  Is there a source for this reproduction battery?  The web page for Battery Central Mall is down, and I have not had an answer from my inquiry there. Is there another source? Who actually makes this battery? After 12 years of service, I'm not wanting to press my luck!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Keep the reproduction battery when it dies.
Get another standard Optima battery. You can cut the top off the reproduction battery with a Sonic Crafter,
sand the bottom down gently, until its 'thin'. Now you have a battery topper to put on your
new regular Optima, saving you a FORTUNE over a "reproduction battery".
Terminal extensions are available from companies who sell battery toppers.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

fishnjim

an aside: Kinda anecdotally supports my thinking that you have to rethink battery life with AGMs and not just look at purchase price any more.

The issue beyond personal preference, has been point deductions for current day batteries.   For me, this doesn't amount of beans/should be changed, but I'm not judging or being judged either.   Frankly a deceptive  "look like" has the same issue in my opinion.   If it was a tar top it wouldn't have lasted more than 3 years back in the day.   The positive ground ate up the charge over time and sulfated the cells.   Best to disconnect a 6V when not in use.   Our '51 tractor never made it through a second winter without a new one in spring.   Countless hours charging and trying to start Henry's iron.   
Is it really important what it looks like and costs more than the battery that's inside it anyway?   Something for the greater hobby to decide.
I guess one could leave the "original" in place and feed from a second battery that's "hidden" in a box (that's what you have now) and satisfy the appearance criteria.  Why not put hinges on your current box?   They sold "slip overs", but I haven't followed.
There was chatter some of these "fake battery" people quit during covid, so you'd have to search around.   For me, I just go to batteries plus or the part stores and buy a "good" one that fits.   I like the parts chains because the warranty is good anywhere, so if I go away/travel and have a battery problem, I can get them resolved on site locally.     There was consolidation in the industry too.  Plumbophobic EPA has all but eliminated lead recycling in the USA.   What they going to do when Lithium and flourides from EVs becomes the next pollution issue?   It's in much shorter supply.   We're not a country that thinks ahead.   We're problem solvers, per se, not problem avoiders.

Jim Miller

My Restoration Battery in the '41 lasted 4 years. Always kept it on the tender and had a shut off when not using the car. Replaced it with two 6 volt Optimas set up in parallel. I'll sacrifice originality for the added cranking amps.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Call this guy:

Jim's Battery Manufacturing
Youngstown, OH
800-426-7580

He took over the former Antique Auto Battery when
they went out of business.  I have two of his batteries
in use for over 3 years in my '55 and '73 Caddies and
they work just fine.  They look just like the originals
but have an AGM battery inside the case.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Andrew Trout

Quote from: fishnjim on May 14, 2022, 10:17:27 AM

Is it really important what it looks like and costs more than the battery that's inside it anyway?   Something for the greater hobby to decide.

At local car shows and cruise nights people have regularly noted the original-looking reproduction DELCO battery in my car. It's the pièce de résistance for the engine compartment.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I got away with painting a red aftermarket battery black and pasting a repro adhesive tag on the top at least once, if not twice. Then got "caught" with some finger shaking and smiles.

Oh well, I also got away with resting my arm on the cracked armrest on my '86 FWD Fleetwood once while being judged. Then I got it replaced by complaining to my local dealer that a low mileage Cadillac should have not failed unless the owner was letting the seat belt spring smack into the armrest when being released. The shop manager was astounded that the the factory replaced a "soft" part under warranty.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on May 14, 2022, 09:04:35 PM
Call this guy:

Jim's Battery Manufacturing
Youngstown, OH
800-426-7580

He took over the former Antique Auto Battery when
they went out of business.  I have two of his batteries
in use for over 3 years in my '55 and '73 Caddies and
they work just fine.  They look just like the originals
but have an AGM battery inside the case.

Mike

I got my '67 Nova battery from them in '05 and lasted 10 years.  Second one is going on 7 years, no issues.  Use Battery minders on them.  On my '65 Eldo and '66 DeVille (I swap batteries.)  First one lasted 9 years.  Second one going on 8 years, but almost done.  Third 5 years so far.
Yeah, they are $100 or so more, but try to support the vendors that support our hobby and will pay a little extra, even for the Eldo which is a driver, and not judged.  They look nice and they last, so why not :)  After seeing this post, reminds me to replace my 8 year old one which is on it's way out...I'm going to call Mon.  Thanks  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Art Director

Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President