News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 cadillac speedo cable install with new grommet issue

Started by Caddyrag67, May 18, 2022, 01:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyrag67

I have a new speedo cable and a new firewall grommet that im trying to figure out how to install on the cable. Problem id the cable ends are way to big to fit throught grommet hole.... how do you install these?
Brendan Gielow
CLC Member # 31224

1952 Series 62  Convertible
1958 Eldorado Seville
1960 Coupe DeVille
1967 Coupe Deville Convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

Brendan,

The only way I can see it is to chose the smallest end, probably the Speedo end, and with a lubricant on the Grommet, simply feed it over the end, as smoothly as you can.

Will take some pressure and manipulation, but it should go.   

For lubrication, I would try a product called Rubber Grease, which is the product used when installing Brake Piston and rubber parts, but wipe it off once the grommet is in place.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Caddyrag67

will give it a try. just seems like i am going to tear the need grommet
Brendan Gielow
CLC Member # 31224

1958 Eldorado Seville
1960 Coupe DeVille

Daryl Chesterman

Brendan, if you can return the cable that you have, you can purchase a cable with the grommet pre-installed on the cable from "Cadillac Parts Ltd":

http://www.cadillacpartsltd.com/19caspcanew2.html

If it is not possible to return your cable, or don't want to, may I suggest that you use a razor knife to cut the grommet radially so that you can easily install the grommet after the speedometer cable is installed.  If the grommet is positioned such that the cut is at the bottom, it will not be as noticeable and the grommet will still perform its job of sealing around the cable/firewall.

Daryl Chesterman

Caddyrag67

man I wish i had known about that before... i paid more than that for the 2 pieces separately....
Brendan Gielow
CLC Member # 31224

1958 Eldorado Seville
1960 Coupe DeVille

fishnjim

Might not be the right grommet, if it's just flat.   It should look something like this one.

https://www.opgi.com/ignition-electrical/electrical-wiring/firewall-through-grommets/grommet-firewall-1956-58-cadillac-speedometer-cable-ce07245.html

The hole has to be about the same size as the cable sheath to seal so you have to stretch it quite a bit, if the ends are on.   A glaze of lithium grease is always handy.   You might try to secure the cable end in a wood vice or something to hold it and force the grommet on rather than trying to do with one in each hand.   They make 3 punch expanding pliers for grommets too.

I know I changed the cable with the new one they sent when it came back from McVeys, but don't recall having to put the grommet on.   So as noted, there must be some with it.  I suspect when they make up the cable they slip the grommet on before they crimp the end on.    What I do for fishing is slide rubber on a (cone) tapered tubing big enuff and then roll the rubber onto whatever it goes over.   Less likely to tear that way but rubber has limits. or the OEM one fits better.

David Greenburg

I'm dealing with the same issue, or will be once I get a replacement grommet. I assumed I could re-use the old one, but of course the minute I touched it it crumbled apart. I does seem hard to imagine that the narrow protuberance on the grommet is capable of stretching over the fitting on the end of the cable, but I'll try using the tricks described here,  Orherwise I was planning to slit the grommet and then patch it up using rubberized weatherstrip adhesive. I should have followed Darryl's earlier advice and gotten the one with the grommet in place.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

J. Gomez

Just a word of caution unless you have a magic wand unfortunately there is no way to pass either end of the speedo cable ferrule nuts through the grommet. You will split the grommet if you try to force them through even if you grease them during the process.

The only alternative is as Daryl's suggest above by splicing the grommet between both ends. I did the same on my 1956 and splice the grommet on the bottom end (to hide the splice) use black weather strip rubber cement (or vulcanized cement) to repair the splice, keeping a tight pressure for a day or so did the trick, also once you install the grommet on the firewall it will stay close just make sure the speedo cable do not add pressure (up or down) on the end of the grommet.

Good luck...!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

The Tassie Devil(le)

My bad.   I was thinking that the grommet was one of the more flexible type.

I apologise for the misinformation.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible