News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Series 63 - Need new Bias Ply Tires

Started by J. Russo, July 11, 2022, 09:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

My Cadillac has radial tires and it sat for six years before I purchased it. Now that I have it on the road, 2 of the radials blew because the steel belts are bad.

I would like to keep everything original and am shopping for 7.00x15 bias ply tires.

I've tried Coker and Universal Tire, but they are out of stock on the whitewalls until at least October 2022. Diamond Back only sells radials.

Does anyone know where I might find new bias ply whitewalls in size 7.00x15 from another dealer?

This also raises an authenticity question as these tire dealers don't sell 3 1/4 inch whitewalls as the judging manual requires. The whitewalls are 4 inches or wider.

Thanks,
John
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

The Tassie Devil(le)

I don't really think that the tyre dealers are concerned with the Judging Manuals of all the car clubs that are around.

Looks like you will have to wait for stocks to come in, but the problem I see with Bias Ply Tyres is that the manufacturing process is so old and out of date, that there would be very few makers that want to go into the race to make something that the market is so limited.   Meaning low profits.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   There has to be a reason why so many tyres are failing when comparing to tyres made back in the 70's and earlier, when one never heard about failures.   The only time one had problems was when one didn't maintain correct inflation pressures.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Russo

The reasoning for my tire failures seems logical given how long the car sat without being driven and based on my research.

I also don't know how long the car sat before the previous owner bought the car.

Thanks
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Oliver Betker

Hello

BF Goodrich Silvertown 7.60 -15 98P WW 86mm

are available in Europe, but very expensive, 530€ each.

and the Diamond back looks very similar with better running performance than a plias tyre.
Regards Oliver
1946 Cadillac Series 61 Coupe
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 4door Sedan
1958 Wartburg 311 4door Sedan 900
1961 Wartburg 311 4door Sedan 1000
1963 Trabant 500 2door Sedan
1989 Trabant 601 2door Sedan
1966 Bulldozer T 100 MGP
1968 Bulldozer T 100 MGP
1998 Nissan Pickup Navara
2015 Ford Ranger Pickup
1978 MZ T 250/1
1992 Harley Davidson Fat boy

Big Fins

Go with Diamondback. They make a radial that looks and stands just like a bias ply tire. And they will make it to your specs. If the wait is that long, hang something on there to get you by. 235/75R-15 tires are still available albeit more common with the black sidewall.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

J. Russo

Just to make everyone aware, I mentioned in the original post of this thread that the 1941 authenticity manual states that whitewalls (which are optional) should be 3 1/4 inches wide.

My research raised an issue with both the 1941 Authenticity Manual and the current Judging Manual which state the same information.

As a result of a conversation that I had with one of the folks that helped compile these manuals, a change in both manuals has been requested to change the whitewall width to 4 1/8 inches as this is the correct width for 1941.

If you're in the market for tires for your '41 and prefer whitewalls, I recommend confirming that the change has been made before purchasing if you want to comply with these manuals.

Thanks,
John

Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

J. Russo

9/11/2022: For anyone who may be looking for 7.00x15 bias ply tires with 4 1/8 inch whitewall, Coker and Universal now have the Firestone brand in stock.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

John & others,
 The factory width on 41 tires is 3 1/2" !! It's NOT over 4". Look at some factory pictures.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

J. Russo

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on September 11, 2022, 05:22:56 PMJohn & others,
 The factory width on 41 tires is 3 1/2" !! It's NOT over 4". Look at some factory pictures.
Bob

Bob,

I was involved in a conversation in July about the white wall width for 1941. The current judging manual says the whitewall width is 3 1/4 inches. I couldn't find any tire dealers that carried original bias ply tires with that width. The only width I could find is 4 1/8. I raised this to someone involved in compiling the judging manual. This resulted in a requested change to the manual to increase the whitewall size to 4 1/8 for 1941.

I'm not sure if the change was made, but I purchased 4 1/8 whitewalls recently for my 1941 as a result of that conversation. I'm forwarding you the emails that explain this.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Abe Lugo

Can you post of pic of your car with said tires installed.  I believe I have 3-1/2" Coker's on my '41.  But wondered what the 4" plus looks like. 

Also Bob.  What sized tires did you have on your '41?

Glad you found what you wanted. 
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

J. Russo

Abe,

I'm sorry but I won't be able to post a photo now with the tires mounted. It'll be a couple months as I am currently scraping/cleaning the underside of my Series 63 so That I can paint it. The tires are currently stored in my basement.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828